I've been jamming with 2 friends for over a year(me on guitar, a drummer and a singer), earlier this week two friends of us joined us to start a band, one on guitar and the other on bass .. both starting from scratch without any music experience at all.

Today we got offered to play a gig in 5 weeks, we have some great songs and it would be awesome to get to play them live, but they new guys .. will they be ready to gig after 1month of playing ?

Opinions ? we need to give a yes or no in a few days.
If they work hard they could be ready.
Gear

Ibanez SZR
Cube 30
Digitech RP 250
It's quite a short deadline, but if they're dedicated, I believe so.

James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich only started learning their instruments the day they formed the band, and within a year they had kill em all.
Obviously this depends on what you're playing.

As an obvious bit of advice, just get the rhythm kid a very easy groove, doesn't need to be a chord progression. Something like how many more times. Then just make sure you let your jcm800 do most of the talking and the audience won't care about any mistakes he makes.

Another option if the kid ends up sucking at keeping a beat is you doing rhythm-lead (not that hard depending on your genre) and him doing lead fills as the second guitar, throwing in licks here and there in the key.

The bassist is really what you have to worry about, work hard with him on fingering.
if they say they're ready, i'd trust 'em. trust yer bandmates

Quote by Plexi81
work hard with him on fingering.

anyone else gonna get that?
Testing, Testing...Is this signature on?
Quote by Escalier
if they say they're ready, i'd trust 'em. trust yer bandmates

anyone else gonna get that?

Make sure he uses his second and third finger. Always helps
We play zeppelin, wolfmother, deep purple inspired rock, we only have 3 finished songs and one of them is too advanced so we have 2 songs that they might be able to play .. so might have to do covers instead.

It's gonna be at a club and i've been there a few times and it's mostly people in the age of around 30 there.

What would be good songs to play ? we need to start practicing as soon as possible.
Quote by Malchius
Make sure he uses his second and third finger. Always helps

wow, that advice is quite a....shocker.....
Testing, Testing...Is this signature on?
Quote by -Collapse-
It's quite a short deadline, but if they're dedicated, I believe so.

James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich only started learning their instruments the day they formed the band, and within a year they had kill em all.

Really? Some of the riffs and drum beats are quite hard for beginners
In the 22nd century, how many guitarists is needed to replace a light source?

Five. One to actually do it, and four to reminisce about how much better the old tubes were.

Quote by SquareNothing
Metalicer!!!! Krik Halmet!!!!1
Get the bass guy to figure out easier zeppelin songs, if they are too hard, first just go blues progressions with him, very simple stuff, twelve bar, and have him follow you guys as you do it.

The guitar kid should be following along as well with the powerchords. Forget teaching them any open chords other then the standard majors and maybe sevenths if you guys get into a jam.

Also, lmao malchuis, definitely important technique there.

If your songs are not that complicated, play them.
If they're dedicated, you'll be fine.

Take the gig, and if you're not ready when the date comes, you might have to cancel or something. Good luck though
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Don't rush into things, that's my opinion. I remember when I first joined a band I had only been playing guitar for about 3 months. And I look back on that and I'm glad that it didn't work out. Because we got offered a gig and they were eager to do it. But me and the other guitarist talked about it and were like, "dude, we've never even played together. We have no buisness doing this."

Okay yeah, 5 weeks is a decent amount of time to prepare for a gig. But still, personally I would rather have all the members comfortable with eachother and everyone know multiple songs rather then jump right into something that I might not be ready for.

Even if you've all been playing for like, ten years or something. I would rather be a band for a solid few months before taking on any offers for anything. That way you could be sure to sweep people off their feet by the time you performed :]
Last edited by ArcadianWarrior at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by chokmool
How long are you supposed to play?

This. And also, for the bassist if the bass lines aren't particulary stand out, bass is inaudible a lot of the time. So you could just have the bass kid playing root notes. As for the guitar kid, I don't know if this was just me, but when you started playing guitar say someone fingered an A powerchord and hit it, then you done that same thing it didn't sound the same? That's the stage you may have to overcome. But if it's stuff like zeppelin and AC/DC it shouldn't be too difficult as the classic rock bands are most peoples first songs to learn.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Look at this simply. Right now your band has zero songs. That's nothing for those playing at home. Each person knowing their parts does not translate into a good band, most of the skill comes from playing with each other.

So could you gig in a month with complete strangers? Nope (unless they're experienced, which is not your case).

Could you get three songs together in a month? Probably, it won't be very tight though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alan
That was why I asked how long they were expected to play. If it was like 4-5 songs, I'd say there was a slight chance, but you're right about not being tight by then. The thing is, I don't know why a club would bother booking a band for that short a set. A set to me has always meant 45 minutes, without big gaps between songs.

If you guys have to do a full set, I'd say pass on this date, but keep in contact with whoever was booking the gig. Tell them you need a bit more time, but would like to book a gig when you are really ready.
Quote by chokmool
Alan
That was why I asked how long they were expected to play. If it was like 4-5 songs, I'd say there was a slight chance, but you're right about not being tight by then. The thing is, I don't know why a club would bother booking a band for that short a set. A set to me has always meant 45 minutes, without big gaps between songs.

I agree, but many beginners seem to use the terms "gig" and "play a couple of songs" interchangeably.
Soundcloud
It's gonna be about 1hour.

We will probably go for the gig, i played some with the other guitar guy a few hours ago and he managed to play powerchords pretty good after just 3 days of playing. The bass player is the problem, he still struggle with hitting the right string but i guess only playing root notes should work for him.
Last edited by vismbr at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by Plexi81
Obviously this depends on what you're playing.

As an obvious bit of advice, just get the rhythm kid a very easy groove, doesn't need to be a chord progression. Something like how many more times. Then just make sure you let your jcm800 do most of the talking and the audience won't care about any mistakes he makes.

Another option if the kid ends up sucking at keeping a beat is you doing rhythm-lead (not that hard depending on your genre) and him doing lead fills as the second guitar, throwing in licks here and there in the key.

The bassist is really what you have to worry about, work hard with him on fingering.

Quote by vismbr
It's gonna be about 1hour.

1 hr is 12 songs minimum. It's going to be an awful gig if you take it.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
1 hr is 12 songs minimum. It's going to be an awful gig if you take it.

This ^

Don't take the gig, you are jumping in too fast for the situation that you are in. Even if you get an hours worth of material it's not likely to be played very well. You are more likely to be asked back if you play well, so take time before doing a gig. It'll be better for the band in the long run.
aaaand you're toast.

c'mon man, think about it. you'd be taking complete noobs on stage 5 weeks into them picking up instruments for the first time. the first time dude!!!

do you remember yourself five weeks into playing? muffing your way around the first three frets, having trouble changing open chords, realizing those muscles in your forearms that make your fingers twitch weren't exactly up to par? would you have put yourself on stage in a club?
Quote by GrisKy
aaaand you're toast.

c'mon man, think about it. you'd be taking complete noobs on stage 5 weeks into them picking up instruments for the first time. the first time dude!!!

do you remember yourself five weeks into playing? muffing your way around the first three frets, having trouble changing open chords, realizing those muscles in your forearms that make your fingers twitch weren't exactly up to par? would you have put yourself on stage in a club?

It's really all about how much you practice, i played ALOT when i started and could play sweet child o mine, seek and destroy and sweet home alabama after 1month of playing.

The guys are practicing nonestop, i mean the other guitarist is nailing powerchords after 5 days, i think we could do the gig.
powerchords, listen to yourself dude, one-finger chords?

whatever, do the gig. it'll be a great learning experience. you can call it "the day I learned to listen to people who know what the **** they're talking about."

it'll serve you well when your doctor tells you you have cancer.
You plan on being onstage for one hour with guys who have never picked up their instruments before? Please post video immediately after, I've had a crap month and could use a laugh.
I'm sure you were able to play all those songs after a month. I'm also sure you massacred them to the point where they were unrecognizable, unless you're some kind of savant. These guys will not be ready, and that's a guarantee.
If it was me, I wouldn't take the gig. As Slacker would say if he was here, reputation is all important as a musician, why get a bad reputation that's hard to get rid of?

Good luck if you do try though (a video would be much appreciated by the forum )
Last edited by EL2T at Oct 11, 2009,
Do not under any circumstances take the gig.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by EL2T
If it was me, I wouldn't take the gig. As Slacker would say if he was here, reputation is all important as a musician, why get a bad reputation that's hard to get rid of?

Good luck if you do try though (a video would be much appreciated by the forum )
This.

If you take the gig and it doesn't go great, its gonna be a looooong time before you get another gig in the area. And however much your newbies practice, they aren't gonna be great. They might be ok, and be able to get through the songs, but at best it'll be decidedly average.

But if you do go for it, good luck, and make sure you enjoy it
Quote by EL2T

That's exactly what I'd say, but it's really a matter of confidence. Listen to your band now, are you confident that they will be able to pull off a pretty decent gig in 5 weeks?
I've been offered gigs for just a couple of days away in the past and actualy put a band together of guys that I know can easily jam out a gig full of cover songs without any problem, but that's because the guys I chose were all well seasoned professional or semi professional players that I've jammed with hundreds of times before.
If your band is inexperienced, then it's probably asking a bit much of them to have a decent set together within a month, but if they are all pretty competent and experienced musicians it shouldn't be much of a problem.

But like EL2T says, reputation is everything in this business, if you're so unsure that have to think about it, it's not worth the risk.
NEVER PLAY A GIG UNTIL EVERYONE HAS EVERY SONG DOWN 100%. Even "my" band where everybody's been playing for atleast 5 years books gigs before we've finished new songs, it annoys the piss out of me.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.