First off im not sure where this topic goes exactly but then i again i didnt look very hard. Anyway, my band did our first rock show last weekend. Around 100 people came, which i dont think is bad since its a small town, but overall everyone said we did a kickass job and was way better then they thought we would be.

That being said, we want to do even better for the next one. Its a holloween party/show so thats going to play a big part in the majority of the show. So how can we put on a good show? Like what are some things your band does to really make the show just kick ass? Any tips you can share?

Also, can anyone tell me about "auto-tune"? Iv been looking around and researching it but what do you think of it?
Auto-tune is great, if you really want to be a gay-fish.

*edit: to answer your question, my best advice for putting on a good show:

Don't suck.

/thread
Last edited by misanthropy_inc at Oct 9, 2009,
In my opinion, a band that looks like theyre getting a kick out of playing their music puts on the best show. Rigid and nervous bands put on the worst.

And autotune is a production effect/clean up tool. Unrelated to the rest of the post, but its a fine effect if its used in moderation
Just enjoy it. And wear identical costumes... or just costumes... or just make-up... or just something related to Halloween.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Watch Axl Rose.

Great stage presence.

Also while you're watching Rose, catch up on Finck as well. He really gets in the crowd into the act despite being the least technical of the three(Finck, Fortus, and Bumblefoot).
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Get some hot girl to flash her boobage at random intervals. Should be a crowd pleaser unless you are playing on a Sunday service at your church.

PSN ID: ArranP
The only advice I have about auto tune is don't use auto tune.

And just have fun. Because really, that's what it's all about mother****er.
Play some Helloween; or Halloween by Blind Guardian.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Alright thanks. Having a good time on stage sounds easy enough since we do anyways. And thanks for the auto-tune advice. I prolly would of ended up buying it and hating it
Rediculous Halloween costumes, dry ice, get smashed and have fun!!
Guitar & Bass
Your question about a good show has pretty much been answered (I especially agree with whoever suggested you watch axl, he really does have a great stage presence) so i'll talk about the auto-tune.

I really dont think the auto-tune has much use in any genres of music besides rap, techno, modern rnb, so unless your playing any of those it's really just something to mess around with.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
my band's secret: we give a free shirt to whoever dances the most. and we also all dance and jump around. gets people excited ... usually anyway.

funny banter with the crowd is a must. make them feel like a part of the show, not just like they're there to watch you. if possible, get some on stage to sing along if they know the words. get people clapping and stuff. etc. etc.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
my band's secret: we give a free shirt to whoever dances the most. and we also all dance and jump around. gets people excited ... usually anyway.

funny banter with the crowd is a must. make them feel like a part of the show, not just like they're there to watch you. if possible, get some on stage to sing along if they know the words. get people clapping and stuff. etc. etc.

it depends on what kind of music you play. doing what you say may work for many music styles, but imagine Slayer doing that :/
bottom line, make your show fit your music. Design your live act to be a consistent piece of art. Like a music video, your live show is supposed to compliment your music and awe your audience.
Quote by CoreysMonster
it depends on what kind of music you play. doing what you say may work for many music styles, but imagine Slayer doing that :/
bottom line, make your show fit your music. Design your live act to be a consistent piece of art. Like a music video, your live show is supposed to compliment your music and awe your audience.

you're right. but i personally would never be in a band that wouldn't do stuff like that. to me it's a mark of taking oneself way too seriously.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan

I just checked out your Myspace, and I like what I hear; I hope I get to hear you guys live some time.
Quote by primusfan
you're right. but i personally would never be in a band that wouldn't do stuff like that. to me it's a mark of taking oneself way too seriously.

Yeah, I know what you mean. No matter what kind of music you play, there's always ways to reward the audience or get them involved, be it by giving a free t-shirt to the person who dances the most or the guy who loses the most teeth in the mosh pit (that WOULD fit to slayer)
I mean look at Jens Kidman in the link I posted earlier, the way he looks at the audience and kinda "grabs" the entire crowd with his raised arms. it's just intense, and when you're standing in the crowd it looks insanely awesome (been there). You really do need to get the audience involved in whatever you're doing. The only band I can think of that doesn't do that is Tool, but they have a different kind of visual vibe going on anyways, so in a way it's an interaction with the audience as well.
/half-drunken rant
Quote by herby190
I just checked out your Myspace, and I like what I hear; I hope I get to hear you guys live some time.

cool, man!

where do you live?
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
cool, man!

where do you live?
Wisconsin; I was afraid you were going to be another band in the UK. Still, unless you go on tour, I won't be able to see you.
Quote by herby190
Wisconsin; I was afraid you were going to be another band in the UK. Still, unless you go on tour, I won't be able to see you.

we got asked to play michigan once. and we are planning a tour of (at least) the midwest this summer with some franz of ours. we play out of state a lot anyways. it'll be fun. i'll see what i can do.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
we got asked to play michigan once. and we are planning a tour of (at least) the midwest this summer with some franz of ours. we play out of state a lot anyways. it'll be fun. i'll see what i can do.
Sweet. Who knows, the singer of the band I just joined (as drummer) seems to be the person who sets everything up, and he's the guy who knows everybody, so we might even end up sharing the stage, if my band's ready by then.
watch at the drive-in live it reeks of pure energy and would wow and shock an audience :P also another man to watch for being a frontman in general is Green Day.

Also watch NFG live especially the banter between Jordan and Chad they started jamming paradise city when i seen em and it was awesome purely cause they were shouting you hear the new GnR album its finally here and he started playing the opening riff and Jordan done Axl impressions.Chad's best line was " well its not guns n roses anymore if you know what i mean".

Banter like that can really captivate a crowd its good interaction also be energetic it helps you hold your audiences attention.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.