Page 1 of 2
Well, I'm currently just a begginer at guitar playing, but I wanted to get a pedal already.

I generally didn't want a very heavy metal sound (even though that I don't mind having an option to produce such one as well with different settings) and asked the person at the store if there is something that fits more with a Led Zeppelin and similars' sound.

He said that the SD-1 (SUPER Over Drive) should be good for that and that it's currently the standard of the distortion pedals or something like that.

He also made a small demonstration on the store with one of the guitars, and while it didn't seem to be too heavy as well when he used it, it was still noticeable.

When I tried it at home (with my Fender Stratocaster) it barely made any affect. The sound was a bit different but it was still barely making any distortion feel.

It has Level (apparently to control the volume) - which should be set to produce the same volume as the input according to the manual, Tone and Drive (for the so called overdrive).

I tried tons of settings and almost none did a real difference, even if the Drive was all the way up.

Eventually I got it to make a fuzzy sound (even though that I'm not sure if it was supposed to be used like that) by setting the Level almost all the way down where it almost disables the sound, and set the guitar's volume all the way up and adjust the Drive with that.

It then gives a pretty distorted sound (it actually fits the more hard-rock sound instead of heavy metal as I asked, but as this generally moderate amount was the highest it got - it still doesn't seem too good), but it's basically set so illogically this way that if I'll disable the pedal, you'll find out that the actual volume without it is extremely loud (pick one of the strings too hard and the amplifier would probably explode) and switching the pedal between on and off like that is not very sensible.

Should it actually be like that or that there's something wrong with the pedal I was given?

Maybe I should get a different pedal that would work better and have a wider range of sounds?

I've seen on the internet a BOSS DS-1, which is supposed to be some "classic pedal" or something like that, and it seems to have a stronger sound (and it costs the same, apparently), and also a DS-2 which is, as far as I understood, like a DS-1 but with another mode.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by UserN123 at Oct 9, 2009,
get a tubesceamer
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Your battery is probably dead. It's an overdrive pedal, designed to overdrive a TUBE amp. Do you have a solidstate amp? And yes, your guitar volume should be on max preferably the bridge pu.
Quote by tennisplayer
Your battery is probably dead. It's an overdrive pedal, designed to overdrive a TUBE amp. Do you have a solidstate amp? And yes, your guitar volume should be on max preferably the bridge pu.

An overdrive pedal is designed to replicate a tube amp being overdriven. It has applications for further overdriving an amp's tubes, yes, but that's not what they are for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I think that the battery was new so I don't think it should be that. And anyway - If it was dead, how could've the Level setting increase the volume when it's set to high?

Or work anyway? The light also seems to be stably lit.

And what's a Tubescreamer?
The SD-1 is Boss' more clean boost. The standard Boss Overdrive (OD-3?) is similar, but acts more as a light distortion than a boost.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Well, I don't know, but do you know good ones that aren't too expensive and give that sound I've asked about? (like 70's Hard Rock as Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith).

That SD-1 I got costed me about 85$ (but that's when converting to dollars. Most stuff in here are more expensive than they would be in the USA, for example, so it probably costs less).

I don't know if there are models for that Tube Screamer or that it's all the same, but I've searched for it on YouTube and got a demonstration video of "TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer" for some online store.

It sounded pretty nice (unless if it was combined with an amplifier's effect or something like that and it actually produces a different sound), but on that store's link it costed 109$.

If it's sold here, it's probably even more expensive. I guess that I can add some more money, but I rather just get a really good one that I know would give the sound I want as it should, and it should rather be a known brand.
craiglist,ebay

you cant go wrong with those thing

and Its a very famous pedal,you can ask anybody here and they probably heard about it
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Last edited by O.O Meow O.O at Oct 9, 2009,
Well, I prefer to buy it from a store instead of ordering it over the internet from some overseas country.

Unless if you only meant for price checking (even though that I still need to be sure what to check for).
every local store should have it

again,its a very popular pedal
Quote by angusfan16
Well, but I need to know what sound could it produce.

As I said, I would generally like sound that is similar to these (even though that cranking it up higher could help as well):

Kashmir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRpJg1StvFw
Immigrant Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81ovrP82S8

Walkin' the dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vN0g5yppbc
Walk This Way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAvMk-iXec

And, again - Does it got different models under that brand or that the Tube Screamer is a single pedal?
why dont you try it yourself?
Quote by angusfan16
That would mean buying it or at least going to the store just to check it.

And no store is opened today so I need to get a general idea about the pedal before going all the way to see it anyway.
im pretty sure it will
Quote by angusfan16
The tubescreamer is actually called the Ibanez TS-9. The one you found is similiar bu tI believe it has more features. What amp are you playing through? Don't get a tube screamer if your using a solid state amp. As a stand alone overdrive its not great. Also overdrive pedals emulate a driven tube amp, you can still use them on solid state amps, just not as a boost.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I don't really know all these terms.

What's a solid state amplifier, and a tube amplifier?
And what "as a standalone"? As far as I know - A distortion is basically that overdrive, so an overdrive pedal should basically be a distortion pedal.

And I think that I got what's going on with that pedal.
Doing it like that seems pretty stupied so I don't know if it's supposed to be this way with every pedal, but this is what's apparently happening - The "Level" setting is just a final volume for the output. It doesn't effect the overdrive that happens inside the pedal.

It only produces a clear distortion when the guitar's volume is set to 10, and that's what's making the problem. I don't think that it should be able to do it only with such a high input, but apparently it can only get boosted into that overdrive with that already high input, and what I can do with it is trying to set the Level to produce the same volume on its output (so it won't boost when switching) and to set to amplifier's volume to REALLY low.

What happend before was that I'd set pedal's Level to really low (basically just lowering the volume on the output) and the amplifier to a more "normal" setting, so then when the pedal was off the guitar's maximum-volume output got really loud.

But now it's still stupid because that amplifier setting I made is barely reachable. I had to fine tune it on the 0.1 of the degree so it won't actually be off, just on the lowest it got.

I'm pretty sure that other pedals don't have setting the guitar's volume to 10 as a requirement.
I can't believe nobody has asked what amp you're using. What amp are you using?

Edit: That's what I get for taking forever to reply...I was beaten to the punch by 7 minutes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Um... "Charvel" is written on it, and there's a "CH-200B" under the input.
No suggestion about it? (Even though that I don't know why would the amplifier make a difference about the distortion anyway).
Quote by UserN123

Eventually I got it to make a fuzzy sound (even though that I'm not sure if it was supposed to be used like that) by setting the Level almost all the way down where it almost disables the sound, and set the guitar's volume all the way up and adjust the Drive with that.

Wait, this part got my attention, so you are using it with your guitar's volume turned down? That could be the problem, it's suppose to be used with the guitar turned all the way up.
Quote by UserN123
No suggestion about it? (Even though that I don't know why would the amplifier make a difference about the distortion anyway).

Well, there's part of your problem right there. A great deal of your tone comes from the amplifier, so how it interacts with a pedal is pretty darn important. I have never seen a Charvel amp before, so I've obviously never heard one, but it's quite possible that it's an amp that doesn't take pedals very well, and that's why you're not seeing much difference.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Well, there's part of your problem right there. A great deal of your tone comes from the amplifier, so how it interacts with a pedal is pretty darn important. I have never seen a Charvel amp before, so I've obviously never heard one, but it's quite possible that it's an amp that doesn't take pedals very well, and that's why you're not seeing much difference.

Even if an amp doesn't take pedals well, you'd still hear a difference
Well, the user above said that the guitar's volume should be set all the way up.

But if it does, then people wanting to use a pedal seriously need to set the amplifier as low as possible?

Because, as I said, the best thing I had to do with it eventually was to adjust the pedal's Level with the original input and instead get the amplifier's volume really low (so it wouldn't keep the same volume when the pedal is either on or off), because when the guitar's volume is at 10 if the amplifier is just a little bit too high it gets EXTREMELY loud.

And you're saying that basically distorters can't overdrive without the input's volume all the way up or that it's specifically with this pedal?
Quote by Sguit
Even if an amp doesn't take pedals well, you'd still hear a difference

I think he does hear one, just not the one he thought he would.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by UserN123
Well, the user above said that the guitar's volume should be set all the way up.

But if it does, then people wanting to use a pedal seriously need to set the amplifier as low as possible?

Because, as I said, the best thing I had to do with it eventually was to adjust the pedal's Level with the original input and instead get the amplifier's volume really low (so it wouldn't keep the same volume when the pedal is either on or off), because when the guitar's volume is at 10 if the amplifier is just a little bit too high it gets EXTREMELY loud.

And you're saying that basically distorters can't overdrive without the input's volume all the way up or that it's specifically with this pedal?

You are making my head spin...

Optimally, you set your amp to as loud as your environment will allow. For tube amps, you get the most out of them at higher volumes because you're pushing the power tubes and getting natural warmth out of them. But you don't have to crank 'em, not all the time. Solid state amps it shouldn't matter. But what you aim for on a pedal is for the volume or level knob to be set so that when you engage the pedal, it either boosts the volume (either drastically if that's what you're going for, or slightly if you just want a little more kick from your clean tone), or your volume stays about the same between engaged and disengaged.

From there, you use the other knobs to set the tone of the pedal, the amount of drive/gain, if it skews towards bassy or trebly, etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Also, did you get the same pedal that was demoed in the store, or where you given a new one? You heard a difference in the demo, so if you got a different one, maybe that one is faulty. If it's the same one...dunno.

Have you considered taking your rig in to the shop, and asking your salesman what is going on?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
... That's not what I was saying.

I said that I set the Level to keep the volume untouched, but the thing is that the overdrive doesn't happen unless the GUITAR'S volume is set all the way up.

It then finally results in a distorted sound, but it gets the volume so high that I can only play it with the amplifier's volume on almost zero because setting it just a few degrees higher and it would break a wall.
You want the volume knob on your guitar at full.

You want the volume knob on your amp at wherever is comfortable/appropriate.

You want the level knob on the pedal at halfway. If you move the drive level on the pedal around and hear no difference, then there is something wrong with the pedal.
Quote by UserN123
... That's not what I was saying.

I said that I set the Level to keep the volume untouched, but the thing is that the overdrive doesn't happen unless the GUITAR'S volume is set all the way up.

It then finally results in a distorted sound, but it gets the volume so high that I can only play it with the amplifier's volume on almost zero because setting it just a few degrees higher and it would break a wall.

Then at that point, you lower the level on your pedal to a suitable level.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Forkman
You want the volume knob on your guitar at full.

You want the volume knob on your amp at wherever is comfortable/appropriate.

You want the level knob on the pedal at halfway. If you move the drive level on the pedal around and hear no difference, then there is something wrong with the pedal.

This, also. If you get it so when your guitars knob is all the way up, your amp is at comfortable and/or appropriate levels, and the pedal is engaged with the level at noon (or in a position that comes close to the same volume output when the pedal is disengaged), and the other knobs do nothing, then yes, something is definitely wrong.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm not sure, it might be the same, maybe another one they'd gotten out before the demonstarting one.

And for the last comment - Again. IF THE GUITAR'S VOLUME IS SET TO THE MAXIMUM, the Drive setting does seem to make a noticeable difference and you get a distortion if it's set high enough (even though that it also seems to affect the volume a bit by itself, unless it's supposed to happen), but when the guitar's volume is not at the maximum, or at least very high, it won't overdrive. You'd might hear a bit change in the sound, but it won't really distort it or make a real difference.

The main problem with setting the guitar's volume to the maximum is that then the amplifier only got a very small range of reasonable volumes before it would probably explode.

And about lowering the Level - The Level only affects the final output to the amplifier, and basically, what you'd want to get is a level matching the original volume so it won't change too much when switching the pedal between on and off. But the problem is that the amplifier by itself is always too loud with the guitar's volume at 10.

And... "noon"?
Your guitar's volume should be at maximum.

If your amp is the same Charvel ch-200 I'm looking at on the internet right now, it's only 20 watts and shouldn't be deafeningly loud?

Noon ( 12:00) simply means to set your pedal with the dial straight up. Sometimes people describe settings as if the dial is a clock. Thus 12 o clock would be pointing straight up, 9 o clock would be halfway up the left hand side and so on.
Last edited by Forkman at Oct 9, 2009,
Well, if that's the case, then turn the amp down with your guitar all the way up. And yes, turning up your drive can make the volume increase. Or at least seem like it as the distorted sound pushes more air.

Try this: Guitar at full, pedal engaged with every knob pointing up (at noon position). Amplifier all the way DOWN. Then, slowly turn up your amp until it's at reasonable volume levels for you. Even if that's only like, 2 or 3, stop there. Then start experimenting with the drive and tone knobs on the pedal, see what you get.

Noon is a way of describing a knobs position, based off of the numbers on a clock. If the knob is pointing straight up, you say 12 o clock, or noon. Straight to the left, 3 o'clock, straight to the right, 9....and so on. It's a shorthand for knobs without any other indicator...like most audio equipments knobs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by BaffAttack at Oct 9, 2009,
Is it a physical requirement because it can't clip the sound when the input is not high enough, or what?

Because I didn't know that people using pedals got the set their amplifiers on super-low because the overdrive requires them to maximize the guitar's output.
Quote by UserN123
I'm not sure, it might be the same, maybe another one they'd gotten out before the demonstarting one.

And for the last comment - Again. IF THE GUITAR'S VOLUME IS SET TO THE MAXIMUM, the Drive setting does seem to make a noticeable difference and you get a distortion if it's set high enough (even though that it also seems to affect the volume a bit by itself, unless it's supposed to happen), but when the guitar's volume is not at the maximum, or at least very high, it won't overdrive. You'd might hear a bit change in the sound, but it won't really distort it or make a real difference.

The main problem with setting the guitar's volume to the maximum is that then the amplifier only got a very small range of reasonable volumes before it would probably explode.

And about lowering the Level - The Level only affects the final output to the amplifier, and basically, what you'd want to get is a level matching the original volume so it won't change too much when switching the pedal between on and off. But the problem is that the amplifier by itself is always too loud with the guitar's volume at 10.

And... "noon"?

Then turn the amp down! It's not that hard. And noon means halfway up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well, setting the Level to the middle seems to increase the sound so I keep it adjusted at about the quarter.

But what effect does the "Tone" gives exactly? Because it does seem to add some annoying noise when setting it all the way up.
The tone knob on the pedal is pretty much the same thing as the one on your guitar. When it's rolled back, you get a darker sound, and when its up, you get a brighter sound.
Page 1 of 2