Looks like PRS is the next established company to start making lower-wattage tube amps. PRS just announced the release of the Sweet 16 head and combo, along with a matching cab.

It is a cathode based, 16 watt, 6V6 tube amplifier.
It contains 4 preamp tubes and 2 JJ 6V6 power tubes
The preamp tubes are-
-2 NOS Philips AT7s
-1 JJs ECC83S
-1 Tung Sol 12AX7s

On the front panel there is
-input
-bright switch
-volume
-reverb
-treble
-middle
-bass
-master
-standby/power

All amps are handwired in the US.

From the PRS website-

The Sweet 16, PRS Guitars new 16 watt amp, is already on retail shelves and creating quite a stir in the musical instruments community. This new amp couples 16 watts of cathode-biased 6v6 output tube power and includes reverb, a full TMB tone stack, and PRS’ transparent master volume circuit. Controls include bright switch, volume, reverb, treble, mid, bass, and master volume. All amps are hand wired in Stevensville, Maryland using hybrid circuitry techniques for consistency and durability.

The amp’s designer, Doug Sewell, said, “Designing the Sweet 16 was similar to writing a song; things just flowed well from start to finish. There was a buildup of ideas, both design and manufacturing, that needed to be implemented quickly, and things just fell together very easily. It’s been great to work with a team of exuberant and talented individuals and to make all of the good techniques and ideas reality.”

Great care was taken in simplifying the layout and construction methods during the design process. This coupled with the ever-maturing PRS amplifier parts-procurement division and production crew enabled the Sweet 16 to be offered at a great price. The tones can run from sparkly cleans with single coils to humbucking crunch. At the appropriate volume set, a full range of crunching cleans are accessible using just the guitar's volume knob, replacing the need of at least one foot pedal.

The Sweet 16 uses hand assembled circuit boards for consistency and reliability. Shielded cable is used for critical signal paths, and pots, switches, jacks, and power tube sockets are chassis mounted and connected via flying leads. Power sections employ JJs 6V6 power tubes, which have proven to be very rugged and reliable. They are cathode-biased to near class A, in a push-pull configuration. This greatly assists the chime, bloom, and rich harmonics that the amp can produce at all volumes. The four preamp tubes include two NOS Philips 12AT7s, a JJs ECC83S, and a Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7s in locations to maximize both clean and open-sounding lower volume settings to thick crunchiness at higher volumes.

Sewell commented, “Our pre-specifications were pretty lofty, but I like challenges. We wanted this amp to hit on all cylinders—price point, aesthetics, and tone. From drawing on designs in my background to doing final tone comparisons with David Grissom, all the tools were there to come up with a winner. This amp was great fun to produce, and I think that translates. I’m very proud of the Sweet 16.”

http://www.prsguitars.com/sweet16/index.html

This amp looks like it could give the Dr. Z Maz 18 a run for its money. It retails at $1659 and is currently available in the US and Canada. I think its great that PRS has created an amp that has a realistic price point. What are your thoughts on these amps?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
reserved

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
nice
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Man I've heard some great things about the new PRS amps, but I haven't heard any clips at all.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by darkwolf291
A realistic price point?! $1,659 for a 16w?? That's realistic how?

$1659 for a handwired US boutique amp featuring NOS parts? I'd call that a sweet deal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by darkwolf291
A realistic price point?! $1,659 for a 16w?? That's realistic how?

It's not about the amount of watts, it's about the tone.
i think half of the money is just for the name brand
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i think half of the money is just for the name brand

Actually I would say it isn't. I was expecting them to be really expensive, with that name. Compare how much a handwired Fender Deluxe is and it doesn't even have half the stuff of the PRS.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

wow

Sir,i rather stick with machine made amp

*back away slooooooooooowly*
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
wow

Sir,i rather stick with machine made amp

*back away slooooooooooowly*

No I see what you mean. One of my amp is handwired (18watter, by myself) and the other is machine (Blackheart). I value them equally. I just meant that handwired amps ARE expensive and $1659 is not a lot for that amp.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

i know but 1.6k is a little outrageous for normal guitar enthusiast
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i know but 1.6k is a little outrageous for normal guitar enthusiast

I wouldn't really say that. Keep in mind that the amp isn't aimed at the lower end market. It's an amp aimed at semi-pro or pro players.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

all right,this argument gonna take forever

i may try to rebuilt it of i have a schematic and part and see what the cost is...
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
all right,this argument gonna take forever

i may try to rebuilt it of i have a schematic and part and see what the cost is...

Yeah. Well a lot of the money though is labor. Even on smaller brands (like Brown Note) labor is about half the price. I got one of their kits and it was about $550 (with cab) while the amp is $1000-ish. So it isn't as much name as it is labor. So yeah it's costly, but was actually lower than what I expected it to be. Large brand amps like that tend to land at least $2000.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

they didnt release it Yet
Quote by angusfan16
No thanks.
i'll just stick to my Blackheart
but if i do have the money for it i still wont buy it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
No thanks.
i'll just stick to my Blackheart
but if i do have the money for it i still wont buy it

no offence man, but this is totally different from the blackheart range:
Blackheart is:
UK Voiced
Machine Made
Cheap (but good for the price)
excels at mid level vintage crunch

PRS is:
US voiced
Handwired
and excels at a beautiful butter clean

makes me want to become a singer songwriter and play crap about my life through this thing
This was released a while ago. It's an awesome amp. I preferred it to their 3k+ models. It's got a fantastic low-mid gain OD sound with lots of harmonics.

Quote by O.O Meow O.O

they didnt release it Yet

You're in Austin right? Last time I was at Guitar Rez they had one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 9, 2009,
@SwampAshSpecial:

its not really my cup of tea so
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
They're released in Canada too. I actually preferred it to the Dr. Z Maz 18, which is the same price.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Guitar rez is like 50-65 min drive from my house,i never been there before
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Guitar rez is like 50-65 min drive from my house,i never been there before

I highly recommend it if you're ever by Anderson then. They've got tons of stuff. And they just became an ENGL dealer! I don't have to drive hours to go check em out anymore! They've got a Bogner Fish that's been sitting there for months that just kicks ass. And a bunch of other stuff like Soldano, 65, 3 Monkeys, Diamond, Dr. Z, Hiwatt, THD, vintage stuff, etc. They're a PRS Signature dealer so they got the Sweet 16 way before pretty much anyone else. It's my second favorite guitar store behind Austin Vintage Guitars.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Forgot to add to the OP that they have the ability to be used with 4, 8 and 16 ohm cabs.

edit- and they got rid of that terrible old-granny-wallpaper tolex

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple