I know to breathe from the diaphragm, and I am doing that, but does straining your voice have a particular sound or feeling that would let me know right away, without waiting for the damage to be done, whether I'm straining or not? I realized today that I'm actually able to sing along to several Jeff Buckley songs for the first time (of course the timbre of my voice can't even compare to his, though) and my range seems ridiculously larger than usual. I'm wondering whether I'm straining or have just finally figured out how to use my mixed voice to its fullest potential.

Thanks.
Quote by i_don't_know
I know to breathe from the diaphragm, and I am doing that

First and foremost, no you're not. You breathe WITH the diaphragm.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
First and foremost, no you're not. You breathe WITH the diaphragm.

Bad word choice. My bad.
Just so many people get the two genuinely confused.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
@axemanchris

way to use this thread to promote your website bud :P
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
If it hurts you're probably straining...
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Funny, I built the website, as much as anything else, because there is preciously little on Bel Canto *anywhere* on the net. Oh, sure, there are sites that talk about it, but as far as the inhalation of the voice portion of the technique.... practically nothing.

Yes, it promotes my private teaching practice. (which, if I was in that for the money, I'd book more than a single evening of lessons.....), but after answering many of the same questions time and again on singing in the singing thread, it was the best place I could find (er.... make) to answer all those questions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If it feels like you're reaching for a note, you are straining. Any difficulty in singing should be with trying to get a nice coordination, especially when moving over vocal breaks. If there's a note you're having trouble holding as long as another note, you're probably at least straining a little. There should never ever be any pain or discomfort, and if there is, I can guarantee you're doing it wrong.