So I heard of this a couple months ago, and thought UG might be interested.

I figured with the swine flu vaccinations thread getting many responses this might also gain interest.

Here's several sources basically all saying the same thing.

http://ahrcanum.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/baxter-vaccine-patent-h1n1/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/276194

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090801191238AADt5ll

There's numerous other things I could post, but it's kinda useless.

The summary is Pharmaceutical company Baxter filed a patent for an H1N1 vaccine in 08.

This kinda supports the ideas of h1n1 conspiracy theories.

When I had health officials come to my school to talk about Swine Flu, I asked why there was such a scramble for a vaccine if there was a patent for an H1N1 vaccine filed in 2008. Their response was "well obviously that was for a different strain, I haven't heard anything to support that blah blah" It annoyed me.

So what do you think about it?
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by RG5EX1

I knew this was going to be here before I scrolled down... haha.

Well, I suppose it could be a conspiracy.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
H1N1=/=Swine Flu

Wonder why it's being compared to the Spanish Flu so much?

They're both relative, in the fact that they share properties that an "H1N1" flu would exhibit.
Quote by TheReverend724
^ screw you, i was about to post that

I is winrar.

But on a serious note: Maybe it the vaccine was originally designed for something else, but it ended up curing some rare strain of the flu (Swine flu at this point), so they patented the idea.

I really have no idea, and I'm just talking out of my ass.
Quote by imdeth

Quote by Grindar
H1N1=/=Swine Flu

They're both relative, in the fact that they share properties that an "H1N1" flu would exhibit.

They also filed patents for many other flu strains.
Quote by Grindar
H1N1=/=Swine Flu

It's the fricken flu don't try make it more complicated than it is.
-Jim Morrison
I hate conspiracy theories. It's what happens when idiots have too much time on their hands
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
I hate conspiracy theories. It's what happens when idiots have too much time on their hands

I hate posts like this. It's what happens when people accept what people tell them without thinking twice.

There is compelling evidence for nearly every conspiracy theory out there, doesn't mean they are true but ignoring the facts is... well, ignorant.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

There is compelling evidence for nearly every conspiracy theory out there, doesn't mean they are true but ignoring the facts is... well, ignorant.

This.

Those against conspiracies ignore all evidence to support them, while those for the conspiracies ignore all of the evidence against to them. It's just human nature.
Quote by imdeth

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I hate posts like this. It's what happens when people accept what people tell them without thinking twice.

People aren't ignoring facts, they're just ignoring what some people think are facts.

Quote by RG5EX1
This.

Those against conspiracies ignore all evidence to support them, while those for the conspiracies ignore all of the evidence against to them. It's just human nature.

They don't have evidence which is why people ignore them. Also, they're idiots.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by pigeonmafia

Theres a lot of questionable ones out there. But there are a few that fall into the believable category, i think.
Quote by Tire Me.
They also filed patents for many other flu strains.

so what makes this patent application unusual?

drug companies want to make money from their products and to protect their works, they apply for patents.

if they've come up with a vaccine that could be used for those strain types surely they'd want to protect it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Kensai
People aren't ignoring facts, they're just ignoring what some people think are facts.

Fair rebuttle, good sir.

9/11 has some cooky conspiracy theorists and I'm sure this H1N1 update will have a big following of the same people, but to be honest, they don't count.

Watergate. JFK. Huge conspiracy theories abound that have tremendous evidence for all, but you'll still find plenty of people who will tell you that Oswald shot Kennedy with no outside motivation, and to be honest most people don't know that Nixon organized a break-in to the dem. committee and tried to keep it quiet.

There's a fine line between stupid people and conspiracy theories after all this 9/11 jibberish, but it's still there, that's all I'm tryin' to say.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RG5EX1
This.

That statement alone is a conspiracy.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Don't get me wrong, they're interesting reads. And I don't just accept everything: that's a cop-out phrase used because I don't believe what you do.

There's 'compelling' evidence for almost anything.

The problem is most conspiracy theorists go too far the other way. You accuse other people of accepting everything they are fed from the government, but you make a concious effort to ignore everything and instead take evidence from anywhere you physicaly can. It's the two extremes, and I hate both.

I'm just completely cynical about everything. Government talks crap, conspiracy theorists talk crap. I just take everything with a pinch of salt
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Tire Me.
When I had health officials come to my school to talk about Swine Flu, I asked why there was such a scramble for a vaccine if there was a patent for an H1N1 vaccine filed in 2008. Their response was "well obviously that was for a different strain, I haven't heard anything to support that blah blah" It annoyed me.

Well let's see here.

You and me: Not biologists.

Biologists: Definitely biologists.

Guess which choice knows the difference between strains of viruses.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

most people don't know that Nixon organized a break-in to the dem. committee and tried to keep it quiet.

Actually, that's a pretty well known fact considering it prompted his resignation.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Quote by Lemoninfluence
so what makes this patent application unusual?

drug companies want to make money from their products and to protect their works, they apply for patents.

if they've come up with a vaccine that could be used for those strain types surely they'd want to protect it.

Because H1N1 was regarded by the media/CDC/WHO/etc as a pandemic that came out of freaking nowhere, with no prior knowledge of it or warning. It was also suggested that there was an urgent need for a vaccine to be made from scratch.

Filing a patent for such a vaccine a year before the pandemic kinda contradicts that.

Quote by archangels666
Well let's see here.

You and me: Not biologists.

Biologists: Definitely biologists.

Guess which choice knows the difference between strains of viruses.

They weren't biologists either. And it was specifically an H1N1 patent.
**** H1n1.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by Tire Me.
Because H1N1 was regarded by the media/CDC/WHO/etc as a pandemic that came out of freaking nowhere, with no prior knowledge of it or warning. It was also suggested that there was an urgent need for a vaccine to be made from scratch.

Filing a patent for such a vaccine a year before the pandemic kinda contradicts that.

it did come out of nowhere. it applied for patents for vaccines for a lot of strain types and just because the vaccine has been invented does not mean it has been produced on a large scale. And because it's patented it means that it would be more expensive for other drug companies to make that vaccine. hence the search for other vaccines.

also maybe I've misunderstood but this isn't the human H1N1 and it isn't the pig H1N1, it's a different strain that has mutated from the pig h1n1 which can infect humans. again which would require another vaccine.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 9, 2009,
H1N1 is normal flu.

There is genuinely absolutely no reason for this thread to exists as its entirely based on TS's medical ignorance.
I've been here since '04.

Last edited by NFFC_1865 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Tire Me.
They weren't biologists either. And it was specifically an H1N1 patent.

Quote by Wikipedia
H1N1 strains caused roughly half of all human flu infections in 2006.

Like I said. You and I should not be jumping to conclusions about biology that we don't understand.

It's kind of like the people who believed that the black holes at CERN would envelop the earth.
My friend recently got over Swine Flu and TBH, it wasn't that bad. Hell, it wasn't as bad as regular flu.

He got sick, had a stuffy nose, coughed a lot, had some body aches, and a fever. A few times he said he felt like he would vomit but he never did.

Now he's fine, and we're going to a haunted house this Saturday.

I'm not getting vaccinated for something that won't kill me.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by archangels666
Like I said. You and I should not be jumping to conclusions about biology that we don't understand.

It's kind of like the people who believed that the black holes at CERN would envelop the earth.

You think Wikipedia is a reliable source of information? People can put whatever they want on there!
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by David Blackbird
You think Wikipedia is a reliable source of information? People can put whatever they want on there!

That article cites a number of sources that check out, and I myself have backed up what is says twice in this thread.
Quote by David Blackbird

yeah but it's checked and needs to be referenced to stay on there for any decent length of time.

the original source of info was from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/

these guys

Quote by element4433
I don't think most of you know what H1 N1 even means. (in b4 everyone googles it)

It's a typical flu however the only difference is instead of targeting the elderly or young, it is targeting many young adults.

Viruses are always going from Pig to Bird to Human, mutating over and over. Once it can't effect humans any more, it will go to pigs, then go to birds, and soon enough come back to Humans a little different than last time.

H 1 refers to the type of cell it attaches to, and N 1 refers to how it penetrates said cell -- basically.

So all the anti-bacterial lotion schools are shelling money out for is USELESS because if the virus is on your hands it is already "dead" anyways because it tried injecting its DNA into your hand and failed. It can only be spread air born.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by Tire Me.
So I heard of this a couple months ago, and thought UG might be interested.

I figured with the swine flu vaccinations thread getting many responses this might also gain interest.

Here's several sources basically all saying the same thing.

http://ahrcanum.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/baxter-vaccine-patent-h1n1/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/276194

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090801191238AADt5ll

There's numerous other things I could post, but it's kinda useless.

The summary is Pharmaceutical company Baxter filed a patent for an H1N1 vaccine in 08.

This kinda supports the ideas of h1n1 conspiracy theories.

So what do you think about it?

For all the talk of skepticism, conspiracy counterculture is really an anti-intellectual, populist movement. For all their absurdity, conspiracy theorists try to drag everything back to the level of common sense. Are there unexplained quirks in the official story? Then it must be the work of a higher power. Conspiracy theorists want to see a malevolent design behind events. The notion that calamity might be the unintended consequence of subtler causes doesn't hold the same appeal. Sensationalism drives a great narrative. Complexity, not so much.
Well obviously the government's involved. It's all part of the NWO (New World Order for you conspiracy n00bs). The Illuminati fit in there somewhere, and I bet Elvis knows about this and would have much to say if he wasn't an agent for the CIA now. Reptilian aliens sold the H1N1 virus to the government back in 1969. JFK wouldn't keep quiet about it and looked what happened to him. The best idea would be to wear tin foil hats and blame the Masons somehow.
Quote by SeanJovi
Well obviously the government's involved. It's all part of the NWO (New World Order for you conspiracy n00bs). The Illuminati fit in there somewhere, and I bet Elvis knows about this and would have much to say if he wasn't an agent for the CIA now. Reptilian aliens sold the H1N1 virus to the government back in 1969. JFK wouldn't keep quiet about it and looked what happened to him. The best idea would be to wear tin foil hats and blame the Masons somehow.

The conspiracy theorist backlash is in itself a government controlled conspiracy in an attempt to try to ridicule any form of critical thinking.

There are government agents on this very website i bet.
Umm H1N1 isn't new. There was an outbreak like over ten years ago. Just ask Ron Paul.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Yeah about 10% of the major public school in my area is sick with H1N1...not to concerned about it
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?
BTW there are a ton of different viruses. They evolve pretty quickly.