I have a Behringer UCG 102 guitar interface, and when I plug my guitar into my amp, and the out put of the guitar amp into the interface, and the interface into the computer. I boot up Audacity to try to record, and it works, but when i press play on Audacity, I get a white noise sort of sound in the background. What am I doing wrong?
try turning down your preamp on one of the 2, most likely the problem is the output signal on amp is a line level so there is no need for a preamp. so when you run the signal into a 2nd preamp it is picking up extra noise. also try switching the level to 'lo'

trouble shoot this by plugging the guitar directly in.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
try turning down your preamp on one of the 2, most likely the problem is the output signal on amp is a line level so there is no need for a preamp. so when you run the signal into a 2nd preamp it is picking up extra noise. also try switching the level to 'lo'

trouble shoot this by plugging the guitar directly in.

It's still there when i plug it directly in, but it's higher pitched and quieter.
and on the 'lo' setting as well?

-ae
well, what this sounds like is preamp noise, since you don't just have a knob to turn down the preamp then you are kinda at it's mercy. those behringer devices are not the best. and in general what you are paying for with the higher dollar units is a better preamp and analog digital converter. you'll have to contact behringer over this one, you may have gotten a dud

-ae
btw, you could go for a noise gate to 'band aid' the problem

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
btw, you could go for a noise gate to 'band aid' the problem

I took it back and they gave me a new one. It works perfectly, the only problem is, plugging it into my amps "Pre Out" jack makes my amp feed back, i dont know if that's the right jack to put it into. (sorrykindofanoob)
once again, sounds like it's a 'hot signal' problem, dunno the model of your amp. but 'pre-out' sounds like an effects send on an amp, that is kinda confusing if your plugging your device into there...

give a better diagram of where all the send and recieves are going.

personally i would put the guitar direct in on the behringer, then use the headphone outs to the amp so i could use the volume control from the headphone out to control the level going to the amp.

another option is using the preamp out on amp into the behringer with the behringer on the lo setting.

another option is hooking computer speakers up to your computer and using them or just using headphone for monitoring.

-ae