Well I wrote another song, and recorded it! I'm liking how it came out, especially the vocals on the last chorus or prechorus (I'm not exactly sure what to call it, I formed the song kinda weird.)

Let me know if you feel the same way or if you have any other comments or concerns! Haha, thanks.

I'll C4C if you leave a link to your thread or just let me know it's in your profile, whichever's cool.

EDIT: I forgot to say the song's name and that it's in my profile, haha.

It's Okay - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/peacemaker898/
First thing I noticed was the excellent recording quality and good guitar tone. The guitar intro was a nice hook. And wow dude, you're a really good singer. The chorus melody is great and pretty catchy. The layered vocals at the end were definitely a nice touch. If I had to crit one thing I would say that the distorted guitar was a bit overpowering, maybe consider turning it down a bit.

But this really is professional sounding stuff man. Great recording quality, awesome vocals, and the instrumentals were solid too (the solo near the end was a nice touch). I definitely hear a little Weezer influence. And you seriously are one of the best vocalists I've heard on UG. Keep it up man, you've got a good thing going. Nice work.

And thanks for critting mine.
its neat to listen to, it reminds me alot of modest mouse. Awesome voice.

Haha wow, right before, I was listening to olivia tremor control. I paused it to listen to yours and i just kind of forgot about it into the background of my head cause it was enjoyable
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Last edited by injected at Oct 11, 2009,
Great quality. The hooks were good. I do hear a lot of weezer like the previous person said. I almost couldn't find anything to critique on but the vocals got a bit drowned out, mostly during the heavy guitar parts. I recommend tweaking the EQ levels on the vocals and boosting them up a bit. Other than that, man this is a professional sounding song. I am blown away.
Injected - Thanks a lot! I don't listen to modest mouse, but I've heard they're pretty good, and if they're like this, I'll probably like them. I'm glad you liked my song, too.

Krazybartender - Yeah, I just put in a preset EQ for the vocals, but could have probably tweaked it a bit to make them cut more. Thanks for listening!
Nice tune and fairly well recorded. Sounds a bit like a cross between Weezer and Deathcab For Cutie to me. A few points though (some of which have already been adressed).

• Drums need a bit of EQ and compression to allow them to fill out the track more, as it is now they're the weak link. The kick and snare are the essential parts of the kit and they don't really make an impact most of the time (the hi-hat dominates throughout).
  • Bass could use a touch of overdrive and a low cut around 50Hz or so, it's a bit boomy while also managing to almost disappear when the overdriven guitars come in.
  • Guitars are much too high in the mix. Much to high, especially the distorted ones. You also need to automate them rhythm guitars so that they dip down a bit during the guitar solo, leaves more space for the lead.
  • Vocals are spot on but need a few little tweaks to sit just right. If you haven't already I'd use some minor compression, I personally tend to use two compressors in series, and a tempo-synched delay with low feedback. A hint of global bus reverb might be a nice idea as well.

Just re-mix the track, we'll ignore the timing issues in the intro, and this will be a great track.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
I really liked it! I can't think of anything to crit that hasn't been said before already (vocals being drowned out). You just make it seem so effortless, like you've been doing this for a really long time. The harmonies were in key, the solo was fine, you had dramatic dynamic shifts, and it seems like you weren't even trying. I'd kill to be able to record stuff like that!

Ok, I'll stop now...
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show
Quote by ebon00
Nice tune and fairly well recorded. Sounds a bit like a cross between Weezer and Deathcab For Cutie to me. A few points though (some of which have already been adressed).

• Drums need a bit of EQ and compression to allow them to fill out the track more, as it is now they're the weak link. The kick and snare are the essential parts of the kit and they don't really make an impact most of the time (the hi-hat dominates throughout).
  • Bass could use a touch of overdrive and a low cut around 50Hz or so, it's a bit boomy while also managing to almost disappear when the overdriven guitars come in.
  • Guitars are much too high in the mix. Much to high, especially the distorted ones. You also need to automate them rhythm guitars so that they dip down a bit during the guitar solo, leaves more space for the lead.
  • Vocals are spot on but need a few little tweaks to sit just right. If you haven't already I'd use some minor compression, I personally tend to use two compressors in series, and a tempo-synched delay with low feedback. A hint of global bus reverb might be a nice idea as well.

Just re-mix the track, we'll ignore the timing issues in the intro, and this will be a great track.

You seem to know your stuff! Haha, I'll look into those things, thanks for pointing them out. And yeah, I do notice the slight timing issue in the intro, but not until it was "too late." (never too late, but a huge hassle)

And scmiffty, thanks, but believe me, I tried pretty hard to make this! As I do in all my work. And I haven't been writing for too long, at least not writing with singing in mind and dynamics and just general songwriting.

And If you want recording quality like this, just get a DI box, Guitar Rig or your modeler of choice, and a nice drum machine (I use Superior Drummer, but you can get EZ drummer or another like addictive drummer (I think that's what it's called) cheaper.)
Saintonge: I'm glad my song made you feel something! That's always good to hear.

Renk: Thanks, haha, a lot of people say the Weezer influence. It's a good thing I hope!

I looked at bother of yours.

And thanks, Riffdex, I never really liked the sound of my voice, but I'm starting to grow on it. Like you said in that other guy's thread, about how people don't often like the sound of their voice at first. I think I'm getting better and more confident... not confident enough to sing in front of people, though, haha. Maybe good friends, but that's it.
First off, fantastic tune man. Again, that Weezer sound is there, but that's no bad thing. Ebon addressed most of the points I was going to mention far more succinctly than I possibly could, so the only other thing I wanted to mention was that to my ears, the cymbals seem slightly out of time throughout the song. I'd need to listen to it again, but they just seemed to really stand out.

Otherwise though, brilliant. It's reassuring to hear this kind of production quality with a set-up very similar to mine :p

Check my stuff out if you get a chance brother: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21946629#post21946629