View poll results: Are emulators ok?
Always ok
53 54%
Never ok
4 4%
On older systems it's ok
41 42%
Voters: 98.
Basically what do you think about video game emulators, are they ok, not ok, or case by case basis? I personally think that with old games it's fine, and there's a few newer games I don't think it's wrong, but for the most part I think they shouldn't be used, unless you had the game, and it's broken/lost. For example, a Super Mario Galaxy, heck even a Super Mario 64, emulator is bad in my book, but a Super Mario Bros 3 emulator is ok.

Edit: Poll coming soon.
I think people should get over it. 95% of new system emulators barely work or need a good computer to run. It is legal if you own the game, but finding Snes games is hard sometimes. It is not like Nintendo loses money everytime someon downloads SM64. All the profit from that game has been made long ago.

I say use them for anything that you cannot find, or those games that are rare and cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Like Suikoden II for the PSX, look it up on Ebay.
Quote by Zaphikh
Don't stress the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

This.

Somehow this connects to the emulator conversation.

Somehow.....
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
I only use emulators for old consoles, and to play translated versions of Japanese RPGS that never came to America (for example the SNES version of Dragon Quest V, and VI)
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
the SNES version of Dragon Quest V, and VI

Great games.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
I think emulators is a pretty cool guy, eh lets me play games and doesn't afraid of anything.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
I only use emulators for old consoles, and to play translated versions of Japanese RPGS that never came to America (for example the SNES version of Dragon Quest V, and VI)

Tales of Phantsia, Star Ocean, and Seiken Dentetsu 3 FTMFW!!
Quote by whitenihilist
Tales of Phantsia, Star Ocean, and Seiken Dentetsu 3 FTMFW!!

I never liked Seiken Densetsu 3, but Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia are great
Quote by Alex Vik
I think searchbar. I know we've had at least one of these threads before.

Anyway, I use one, so that's what I think.

I didn't find anything in the first 3 pages and I don't want to necro.
Quote by mulletboy14
... other than being inferior to the original format, why would anyone strongly dislike emulators?

No old school emulator I've ever had was inferior to orginal format.

Getting to flash save your games, Not ever having the game lock up and having to blow into the cartidge, break a controller, or worry about the console not being compatible with your TV are all pluses in my book

Also the fact that most emulators just look better becuase you can control the video quality or add filters.

That being said, I love Emulators and I think they are badass. Im all for em. I still dont mind being able to play pokemon on the gameboy though.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I love emulators. My N64 died, and my pokemon games have flat battery's so I can't save. Why wouldn't I play emulators?
I wish I could figure them out.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
If you can't buy the game brand new where the company makes money from it, I don't think theres anything wrong with it.
Listen to CKY.
Quote by whitenihilist
I tried to help you.

I know I should try again sometime, but then everyone would bitch for me not watching NGE.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I know I should try again sometime, but then everyone would bitch for me not watching NGE.

Don't worry, it is worth it.
i've only used it for N64. i have one but, its better on my laptop cuz i can play on the go. i only play zelda ocarina of time and mario 64. both prob the besst games for n64.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
SWIM used to have a PS2 emulator and he played it with an Xbox 360 controller.

Is that too modern?
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

they are so cool
i love playing the old school games i cant play anymore because the cartridge is a piece of crap
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by obeythepenguin
Emulators are perfectly legal. Pirating copyrighted software such as commercial games is not.

It's just silly to draw a line and say, "All right, these kinds of emulators are OK, but these aren't". I personally quite like emulators, both for their practical use, and because as a comp sci student/hobbyist programmer, I appreciate the kind of challenge, complexity, and even artistry involved in programming them.

I was in AP compsci, and I made a Scummvm emulator as my final. I know there is already one, but it was fun doing it.
I have N64, GBC, GBA, and SNES emulators running on my psp.
Most video games i play are older than me.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by obeythepenguin
Emulators are perfectly legal. Pirating copyrighted software such as commercial games is not.

It's just silly to draw a line and say, "All right, these kinds of emulators are OK, but these aren't". I personally quite like emulators, both for their practical use, and because as a comp sci student/hobbyist programmer, I appreciate the kind of challenge, complexity, and even artistry involved in programming them.

They are perfectly legal this is great. Mom asked what I was doing earlier and when I said that I was playing Super Mario World, she was wondering if that was legal or not. I'll have to tell her tomorrow.
Quote by cornmancer
Super Mario Galaxy,

Are you fucking kidding me?

You show me a working Wii emulator on a computer and I will send you pictures of my girlfriend naked. Even Gamecube emulators are still not fully functional yet.

Most emulators emulate systems that no one is even making money off of anymore. If no one's making money off of you buying the game and the system, how can it even be considered stealing?

AÆdit:
Quote by cornmancer
They are perfectly legal this is great.

The emulator itself is legal. Technically, the game is only legal if you own a physical copy of it.
Last edited by archangels666 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by cornmancer
They are perfectly legal this is great. Mom asked what I was doing earlier and when I said that I was playing Super Mario World, she was wondering if that was legal or not. I'll have to tell her tomorrow.

If you get Tales of Symphonia and RE 4, you can pretty much kiss your life goodbye.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by archangels666

You show me a working Wii emulator on a computer and I will send you pictures of my girlfriend naked. Even Gamecube emulators are still not fully functional yet.

Most emulators emulate systems that no one is even making money off of anymore. If no one's making money off of you buying the game and the system, how can it even be considered stealing?

AÆdit:

The emulator itself is legal. Technically, the game is only legal if you own a physical copy of it.

It was just a game that popped to mind since I've been going through a Nintendo obsession lately. I figured I'd get a little crap for that.

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
If you get Tales of Symphonia and RE 4, you can pretty much kiss your life goodbye.

Eh, ATM I rarely hang out with people outside of school except my closest friends anyway. Now that I think about it, that's actually rather sad, I have tons of friends at school, but only 4 or 5 that I hang out with after school.
Last edited by cornmancer at Oct 10, 2009,
hmm....how does acquire one of these emulators?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I discovered emulators last summer. I got a super nintendo emulator and played all the way through donkey kong country. It kicked ass because I would always play that game as a kid but i never had the patience to beat it. Now i can say i've conquered that sonofabitch.
other than that ive never used emulators and probably never will again
Quote by denfilade
I need a PS3 emulator for my Windows 98.

lmao thats halrious.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by mulletboy14
... other than being inferior to the original format, why would anyone strongly dislike emulators?

Your avatar is giving me nightmares.
whatthe****isit?
I said older systems, by which I mean N64, gameboy colour etc. All my pokemon games are broken. The saves always get deleted.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by archangels666

Quote by Wikipedia
By April 2009 most commercial games, Gamecube and Wii alike, have been able to be fully played albeit with a few minor problems and errors, with a large number of games running perfectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_%28emulator%29
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/news.php

pix plz. send to: nandryshak@gmail.com

Have fun playing Galaxy on the computer.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Last edited by BillieJoeFreak: at Oct 10, 2009,