I'm trying to make a high pass filter to replace the neck pick up tone control. kinda like a reverse tone. It is suposed to affect both pick ups. the cap on the filter is a .0001uf. when I play it just sounds like horrible cheap ****. Please help!
Attachments:
wiring.JPG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
So if I swap the two wires on the filter pot it should work?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
cool i found a .0033uf. Should work?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
most likely not, .001uf is ur best bet. they cost like $0.10, its no big deal...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yeah but it's a $20 drive to the nearest town that sells them lol.

I tried the cap, and it sounds warbly. Quite wierd
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Quote by GuitarGetsMeSex
Yeah but it's a $20 drive to the nearest town that sells them lol.

I tried the cap, and it sounds warbly. Quite wierd
great. figure out what you did and patent it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Looking at the diagram of your High-pass filter it looks a little strange to me Jim. If i'm analyzing it right, its basically just a resistor and a capacitor in parallel which isn't really a "high pass filter" necessarily. It attenuates frequency as you change the resistance value but its not what is taught as being a high pass filter.

If you took the signal from the switch to one end of the capacitor, and then the other end to the middle lug of the potentiometer. Take output from that middle lug of the potentiometer and ground one lug so that you have a variable resistor.
It's not a textbook high-pass filter, but it gets the job done. SYK is the one who helped me figure it out a long-ass time ago. I thought I had stumbled onto something new when I thought of it, but of course it, like everything else, has already been done.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Looking at the diagram of your High-pass filter it looks a little strange to me Jim. If i'm analyzing it right, its basically just a resistor and a capacitor in parallel which isn't really a "high pass filter" necessarily. It attenuates frequency as you change the resistance value but its not what is taught as being a high pass filter.

If you took the signal from the switch to one end of the capacitor, and then the other end to the middle lug of the potentiometer. Take output from that middle lug of the potentiometer and ground one lug so that you have a variable resistor.

Could you draw a diagram? I'm a bit confused
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
I did and it hasn't worked. I don't know why?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
that one didn't work either, all it does is make the highs sound really bad through distortion
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Post pictures of your wiring. I don't think your notice much difference with Jim's circuit due to the fact that output voltage is going to be the same as the input voltage no matter setting on the potentiometer. Thats in parallel with your output jack so the voltage at the output jack is going to be equal to the voltage into the circuit.

Your capacitor may be too small for my idea to work, or i may have drawn the circuit incorrectly.
I have no camera but I'll draw it on paint properly what I just tried
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
I think it's like this. No camera exept phone cameras. Cap says 332; 332=3300pf
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
It was your wiring. Like I said, I did that exact thing to my guitar and it works just fine. What you see in the wiring thread is exactly how my bass-cut is wired.
I tried it that way too. Man this has been a mission. I just showed how I tried XgamerGt04's diagram. Maybe i'll just use an inductor. Time to crank out my physics
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Quote by Invader Jim
It was your wiring. Like I said, I did that exact thing to my guitar and it works just fine. What you see in the wiring thread is exactly how my bass-cut is wired.

Your filter circuit will work Jim, but with where his is located its not going to make any difference. With where his is, the output voltage will be the same at all frequencies, which destroys the "filters" aspects of it.