so, its new pedal time soon, im bored with my Tube Screamer. it's reliability is suspect and it is on the verge of death so im shopping for a new one now.

I've narrowed it down to the Mad Professor Sweet Honey and the Rockbox Boiling Point. both of them have an attractive price despite being hand built, and have excellent pick attack sensitivity, my questions to owners of these pedals are, how well are they able to retain the natural tone of your amp, how solid/reliable have they been for you, is their anything else you may recommend me that is in a similar vein.

my styles are blues, hard rock, country, folk, and U2-ish delayed atmospheric rock.

i am playing through a Vox AC30H2 handwired heritage with a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson EDS-1275, and a Fender American Standard Strat.

the only other pedals that i will be using will be a dunlop crybaby wah pedal, and a TC electronics Nova Delay. so how well should it mesh with these?

o, forgot: depending on the pedal, in your experience with one of them, does it sound best when placed on the guitar end, amp end, or in the middle of your pedal chain.

(Invalid img)

EDIT: by the way, in case you're wondering/don't know every Boiling Point pedal is completely unique. hand built and hand painted. this makes it slightly more impressive in the looks department (this department is essentially meaningless to me though )
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 9, 2009,
Well.....
Have you played them both????

And generally I would put the overdrive in front of the amp, with only wah, tuner, compressor, and volume pedals in front of it

edit- also, what about your tubescreamer's sound don't you like? Do you use it as a clean boost or a gain boost or a standalone drive?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I don't know of anyone who has these pedals, especially the Rockbox. If you can't try them at a local store, then I recommend getting one or the other from Pro Guitar Shop, they have a 45 day return policy so you can try them out and return the "lesser" one. (Lesser being in quotes, cause I'm sure they're both fantastic.)

That's really all I've got, but as a blind guess I think the Rockbox sounds the most interesting/worthwhile.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Last edited by Hesh_09 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by jc349

edit- also, what about your tubescreamer's sound don't you like? Do you use it as a clean boost or a gain boost or a standalone drive?

sounds lackluster when put through my vox. it sounded great on my deluxe reverb and my custom classic ac30, but i sold those to buy this one, and since its handwired the tone of pedals really shines through. but unfortunately because of this, i hear some of the "flat" areas of the tube screamers tone and now i can't "unhear" it.

EDIT: o and i've only played the mad professor. the rockbox is quite rare, i've never actually seen one in person yet so i haven't been able to test it myself. the clips i've heard of it are absolutely stunning though. definitely equal, maybe even a little nicer than the mad professor.

here are some clips of both that i think show them off particularly well. (gotta love Proguitarshop )

rockbox
mad professor

heres an even sweeter vid of the rockbox. i think im leaning towards that at the moment, even without trying it i've fallen in love with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfB57DCaq0w

one last thing, i plan on using these pedals for recording around 70% of the time. i usually just naturally overdrive the amp when i gig. (i do use them live though)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 10, 2009,
The Sweey Honey OD doesn't retain your amps character much. It's meant to simulate some old small tube amp, I believe a Supro. I haven't tried a Rockbox.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by nightraven
the sweet honey OD is amazing

But, but its... 300$
I mean, f*ck, it has to be amazing if its that expensive
Quote by Sguit
But, but its... 300$

Might as well grab an analogman kot for that price
Quote by Sguit
But, but its... 300$

the rockbox is $350. should be even more amazing
Quote by nightraven
that rockbox looks impossible to get. it's $400 direct and has a waiting list. it seems PGS only had one in stock. bit of a rip off imo.

PGS has 3 at the moment, if i buy it like... tonight or something, i should probably be able to grab one.

PGS only has 1 mad professor in stock
Get yourself a G2D creamtone. I have one and it's brilliant. Probably similarly priced, and hand made in NZ.
Used by Gilmour, Andy Summers, John Mayer etc
http://www.g2d.co.nz/main.php
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.