Ok guys ive been playing on a crappy classic guitar (literally falling apart) for about a year.. and recently (4 months ago) i finally got an electric. the yamaha erg121c starter pack (didnt have much saved up at the time) which came with a small 15w practice amp

i play a lot of rock, Metallica, Bob Dylan, RHCP, some buckethead and i like both acoustic and electric sounds

i some how feel now that maybe i should have saved up my money and gotten a better guitar..i mean the erg is alright but compared to what the other guys in my band play it kinda makes me look like a noob :$ and in terms of my skills the erg is kinda holdin me back

and a downside to the erg is that the whammy bar only tones the string down, which sounds horrible and messes up the tuning

so anyway heres my question with the budget of $400 which should i get?

1. A new higher quality electric
2. A Electro acoustic
3. A Semiacoustic

please recommend any guitars within that price range

thanks and sorry for the long story
The problem with options 2, 3, & the Epiphone suggestion is that none of those have a whammy system that "goes both ways".

What you really want is something with a Floyd Rose trem. You might need to spend $450 - $700 for something halfway decent.

ESP/LTD KH-202 $469
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 10, 2009,
Maybe get an electric first since you use it in the band. Acoustic songs are passible on an electric but it's hard to get an acoustic to sound like an electric, IMO. Or, get a new amp to improve your tone and buy an acoustic.
get an epiphone. They are really good, have a nice resale value, and stuff. Unless you want a tremelo, then get an ibanez.

dont get any acoustic thing unless you want to dish out like twice as much money or want to spend a year looking around pawn shops for a used one.
your imagination is only as colorful as the drugs you are on

You wouldn't be happy with an acoustic electric, the aren't electric guitars.

If you are trying to keep up with then band I would say go out with your Bassist and Drummer to the music shop and look at guitars. Ask them to help you decide in person, ask the other guitarist his opinion. But don't have him help you in the store. The Bassist and Drummer will help you out more for the sheer fact that they aren't guitarists, they can help you find something that sounds good, but more importantly they won't direct you to something they like. They can help you find something you like that will fit the band musically.

As for suggestions, well if you want whammy without a chance of going out of tune, FLOYD ROSE. If you could do without the whammy then any Epiphone would work in your price range, check out the Les Paul Ultra II if you do though, they are chambered and have an acoustic pickup that you might be interested in, the are also hella lighter than a normal Les Paul.

Play allot in the store, don't restrict yourself, play Jazz guitars, play Metal guitars, play used guitars and if they let you play expensive guitars, don't get in a hurry. Have fun.

James

oh and check out something with a Bigsby...
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated

right now im kinda stuck between getting a better electric, or an electrocoustic cause i still play my old classic and my band does perform such songs as knocking on heavens door :P

anyway keep the ideas coming, thanks again u guys rock
Quote by brokenarrow5
MIM strat-- cant go wrong

+1 but go for a HSS strat ... use the humbucker for metalica and buckethead.

Or get a really good accoustic.

Sorry but only you will know whether you like accoustics more then electrics.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
+1 but go for a HSS strat ... use the humbucker for metalica and buckethead.

Or get a really good accoustic.

Sorry but only you will know whether you like accoustics more then electrics.

If you get an HSS strat be prepared to switch out the Fender 'bucker with a decent 'bucker. I just put Duncan Design Detonators in my Squier Affinity (alder body) and it's very hard to tell the difference between that and my Schecter Avenger with Seymore Duncan Invaders when I play Metallica (unless I'm 3 frets short on a Hammet solo) .

With the stock 'bucker there was only a very subtle difference between that and my single coil guitars.
im taking it your from america by the ghuitar being recommended for the budget... a mid range epi les paul is like $700 australian. Ill do my best but i cant be certain how much the guitars i recommend will realy cost lol.

Id recommend something like an epi lespaul, an ibanez RG-fixed bridge series or maybe a ESP LTD mh series if you want a cheap floyd rose guitar (they have HSS variations on the 3 models within ur range).

But try to give us some more information. Like do you want a floyd rose, humbuckers or single coils, are you the rythm or lead guitarist, do you want a hard sharp tone or a warm crunch tone or somewhere inbetween. U'll get much more specific answers with at least those answered.

PS - +1 to the guy who said take the drummer and bassit to the shop, great idea actualy
Last edited by shredder408 at Oct 10, 2009,
Im actually in Bahrain (middle east) i listed my budget in dollars to make it easier on you guys :P

@shredder
Yes i would like a floyd rose, it would come in handy when playing some Buckethead
I am the bands rhythm guitarist but of course i like to play lead when i jam
In terms of tone i like the way les pauls sound, like slash or BH

And embarrassingly enough im not that knowledgeable when it comes to pickup in terms of whats good

My only prob is there is only one real guitar store here and they are pricey!
so im just trying to get a general idea of whats good for when i check out the store
and i dont think the other band members will be able to come with since they live on the other side of the island.

thanks again guys!
I've been reading the replies you got in this thread, and all I have to say is that you can't really go wrong with a MIM strat. They are between the cheap-expensive range and they are very, very good guitars. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus before my MIM strat and I definitely prefer the strat. I would dare to say that the MIM strat is worthy of a pick-up change- which I wouldn't do on an epiphone. I would get a new and better guitar instead.

Go MIM strat!
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Ill def check out the MIM then, so everyone agrees with me that the yamaha has to go?
Just remember that the thing that changes your tone the most is your amp. I would suggest you to get a new amp instead, but since you are asking for a guitar, I'd say go for the strat. It's all up to you buddy

Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
hmm.... primarily rhythm guitars with a floyd rose are actualy hard to get at a lower price. For rhythm you'll want a mahogany body, but most lower-mid range guitars with a floyd rose use cheaper basswood. However if you are willing to get a basswood guitar (i have 1 and i cant complain at all. It isn't a bad tone, its just a less desired tone to alder/mahogany) theres a ton of ESP LTDS within your price range. Something like the MH-53/MH-50, MH-103/MH-100 and M-200fm (the m-200 has a maple neck through with agathis wings (agathis is like cheaper mahogany, not as good tho)). Same deal with ibanez - the RG 350dx and RG370dx are meant to be fairly good.
Last edited by shredder408 at Oct 10, 2009,
You can actually make a vintage-style 6 point trem go both ways (as I found out a while back on UG). It can only go about a semi-tone above though.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
I don't know if it would be totally worth it for you, but you could try and save up for this:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-deluxe-power-stratocaster-hb--40874

It has a peizo in the bridge, meaning you plug another cable into the guitar, and send it out to the PA, and you'll get some acoustic tones. It already has some nice Tex-Mex pickups in it as well, so you wouldn't have to change anything pickup wise.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Try and sell the Yamaha you have at the moment and get a MIM Strat. You won't regret it.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
As-Salamu Alaykum, Ahmed

If you want to play Buckethead you WILL regret an MIM Strat.

You need a Superstrat. But here's the facts and you can decide for yourself:

MIM Strat:
21 Frets
"Vintage" trem (goes out of tune if you use it, and has very limited range)
SSS or HSS pickups; but even the HSS will have a very tame humbucker, so if you got that then you'd have to plan on another $60 - $200 for an aggressive humbucker
Wood: alder

SuperStrat:
24 Frets
Floyd Rose trem
HH, HSH, or HSS choices, most with far more aggressive humbuckers than any MIM comes with
Wood: Mahogany, Basswood, Alder, you name it (there are so many choices out there)

Those are the specifications you have to choose. I love my MIA Strat for a few songs and for blues, but for most of what I play I get on my Schecter Avenger or my Ibanez XPT.

In the price range you're talking, you'll probably only find bolt-on necks, although the Ibanez XPT700 is made of mahogany AND has a set neck for just a little more than your budget. Schecter and ESP (LTD) are your next best bets. Jackson is OK, but you won't find that in mahogany anywhere near your price range.

I don't know about guitar stores in Bahrain, but if it's anything like Qatar then I understand how limited your choices are. In Doha a couple of years ago all there was was a Yamaha dealer, Virgin Records (which also sold Yamahas), there was one Fender store (but all they stocked were Squiers) and an independent store with $100 fake strats selling for $600+. Could you order from someplace online and pay the customs fees? Maybe there's better availability in Dubai?

By the way, I don't think there's really a huge difference in tone from different woods. I took the cheap, made in China "Duncan Design" Detonators out of my mahogany Avenger and put them in my Alder Squier. I put real Seymore Duncan Invaders in the Avenger. As long as a song only needs 21 frets and doesn't use much whammy, you really can't tell by listening which guitar is which. One of these days I'll post MP3s and see if anyone can tell which is which...

Ma'a salama
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 10, 2009,