Page 1 of 2
I'm hard-pressed to find a metal band with a vocalist that sings clean vocals in the bass range. Is this just because bass vocals get lost in the mix?

I am not talking scream vocals.
Rammstein could have potentially been a good example, but often:
1. The vocals are more spoken than sung, especially in verse riffs
2. Guitars are often mixed out during the verses... only bass, keyboards, and intermittent guitar riffs prevail. It's not truly guitar-dominated metal.
I know that that Dane of Nevermore utilizes the bass range... but more often than not in less aggressive sections (e.g. "Dreaming Neon Black"'s and "We Disintegrate"'s chorus, "Cenotaph")

Have bass vocals been tried and failed in the metal genre, or has no one really established its usage yet?
depends on how deep you consider bass? In my oppinion most generic metal has a bassy lead singer. I prefer CHildren of bodom becuase of Alexi's more treble oriented voice
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
LoG?
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Misery's Crown by Dark Tranquility has this type of vocals for some of it, but for the rest of the song and album its on, not so much. Also some Matt Barlow era Iced Earth has some.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Novembers Doom.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
Type O Negative, whether they're metal or not is open for interpretation though.
Quote by MrWeenie
Misery's Crown by Dark Tranquility has this type of vocals for some of it, but for the rest of the song and album its on, not so much. Also some Matt Barlow era Iced Earth has some.

On wikipedia it says mikael stanne sings in an operatic baritone, whatever the hell that is.

If his vocals do qualify as bass, then the whole Projector album by Dark Tranquillity might be a good choice.

EDIT: Double checked, baritone isn't as low as bass. So Dark Tranquillity is a no go.

Still a great album and a great band.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Oct 10, 2009,
Dark Tranquillity is a decent example, because Mikael is close to a bass, Iced Earth as well, Matt is a bass baritone. Perhaps Garm from Ulver, Borknagar, and Arcturus. Vulture Industries, sounds similar to garm and has a lower range. Aaron from My Dying Bride has a lower register as well. Wow, that's actually a little difficult, I can't really think of that many with lower registers. Perhaps Agyl from Scald, granted he's not a bass (probably a baritone or tenor), but he sings a lot of lower notes.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
It's not used that often because the tone doesn't cut through well most of the time. Higher vocals (not HIGH HIGH but mid range to high) can enhance the sound better and will work better in a mix.
God of Emptiness.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
saviour machine
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I think Gorgoroth sing that deep sometimes - Profetens Apenbaring for example.

Arcturus eg Master of Disguise is Bass I think, although it could be baritone.

I don't know if those are low enough, but they sound pretty deep

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Magero
It's not used that often because the tone doesn't cut through well most of the time. Higher vocals (not HIGH HIGH but mid range to high) can enhance the sound better and will work better in a mix.

+1

Basically when you already have the guitars dominating the sound on bass levels, having the vocals too would just equate to a low frequency sludge with cymbals popping out on top.
Quote by jetfuel495
On wikipedia it says mikael stanne sings in an operatic baritone, whatever the hell that is.

If his vocals do qualify as bass, then the whole Projector album by Dark Tranquillity might be a good choice.

EDIT: Double checked, baritone isn't as low as bass. So Dark Tranquillity is a no go.

Still a great album and a great band.

The vocals you cited initially aren't pitched in a "bass" (i.e. basso profundo) range, either. "Baritone" singers operate in the mid-high bass range, and, in most choral groups would be called 'first bass' or 'bass-baritone.' With the exception of arias for operatic villains, very few vocal melody lines in any form of music are written for true bass/second bass/basso profundo voices.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
God of Emptiness.

Beat me to it.

Vincent's taken to doing a fair bit of clean singing live.
Quote by webbtje
Beat me to it.

Vincent's taken to doing a fair bit of clean singing live.

Most of the really low stuff he does utilizes a vocal technique called "vocal fry" (sort of the inverse of falsetto) to extend the bottom of his range. Vincent's a natural baritone.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Most of the really low stuff he does utilizes a vocal technique called "vocal fry" (sort of the inverse of falsetto) to extend the bottom of his range. Vincent's a natural baritone.

I don't think the TS really cares what technique is being used, just the range.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I don't think the TS really cares what technique is being used, just the range.

Well, if he asked for clean tenor vocals, I wouldn't send him a baritone utilizing falsetto, either.
Scald
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Type O Negative and Moonspell were the first I thought of. Although they could just be baritones with low voices, I don't know.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 10, 2009,
Prepare for a longass post:

Quote by TechnoLp
depends on how deep you consider bass? In my oppinion most generic metal has a bassy lead singer. I prefer CHildren of bodom becuase of Alexi's more treble oriented voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QyccG_NjY
Backing vocals at 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRARRmj7Bo
Main vocals at 1:18

Alexi is scream, no?

Quote by MrWeenie

Misery's Crown is getting closer, but it seems more baritone than bass. Ran through the top 5's previews of Iced Earth in iTunes... didn't really see that? Do you have some specific examples?

Quote by jazzman07
Novembers Doom.

Twilight Innocence, also close, but for the heavier stuff it seemed to be all scream.

Quote by Matezma
Type O Negative, whether they're metal or not is open for interpretation though.

Correct vocals, but the music's too slow. Sorry to be anal.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Dark Tranquillity is a decent example, because Mikael is close to a bass, Iced Earth as well, Matt is a bass baritone. Perhaps Garm from Ulver, Borknagar, and Arcturus. Vulture Industries, sounds similar to garm and has a lower range. Aaron from My Dying Bride has a lower register as well. Wow, that's actually a little difficult, I can't really think of that many with lower registers. Perhaps Agyl from Scald, granted he's not a bass (probably a baritone or tenor), but he sings a lot of lower notes.

Ulver seemed too quiet. Borknagar seemed scream, not clean. Arcturus seemed a mix between baritone and tenor. Nevertheless Arcturus' music really popped out at me... Hibernation Sickness' synth. Vulture Industries and My Dying Bride seem at first glance what I'm looking for... I'll look more into them. Scald seems more shout/scream.

Quote by Magero

That's what I was thinking.

Quote by Dyer's Eve
God of Emptiness.

Seems more like the Necrophagist-type growling instead of the cleans I'm looking for.

Quote by Linqua5150
saviour machine

Music seemed too quiet.

Quote by NosferatuZodd09
well he said cleans, don't think he quite means BASS BASS... just not your average mid-rage/high pitched singers...

so anyway
I bring you...

http://www.myspace.com/doomfuneral

Funeral their last two albums have -well Imma take a guess- Baritone male vocals (cleans)

Seems a little more baritone... I'm noticing though that deep cleans just seem to have problems evoking aggression. I'm beginning to believe that deep vox are not only incompatible with metal mixes, but the metal feel, as well. Just a hypothesis for now, but I think deep vox might just be too mellow; thus, most metal bands for their staple loud songs use either scream or higher baritone and upwards when it comes to cleans.

Quote by metallicafan616
I think Gorgoroth sing that deep sometimes - Profetens Apenbaring for example.

Arcturus eg Master of Disguise is Bass I think, although it could be baritone.

I don't know if those are low enough, but they sound pretty deep

Already got through Arcturus... Gorgoroth, from the three songs I previewed, seemed to be high scream.

Quote by destöroyah
when love rages wild in my heart - gorgoroth.

This is I guess embodying issues that have been addressed. I felt that vocals didn't cut through the mix too well. Also, I felt they were very much out of place... just imagine Frank Sinatra or some **** amidst a long-haired, headbanging metal band.

Quote by GRiMM94
Mercyful Fate

Seemed like the typical tenor vocals of the classic metal scene of the 80s... on first glance, that is.

Quote by whalepudding
Type O Negative and Moonspell were the first I thought of. Although they could just be baritones with low voices, I don't know.

Already addressed TON. Moonspell seemed more Baritone.

-------------------

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. The conclusion I've come to is that bass vocals do have their place, but not in the staple sections of metal. They're perfect for mellower genres of rock or quieter sections of metal, but don't cut through a busier mix and/or just don't fit the aggressive feel.
Quote by G.9

Seems more like the Necrophagist-type growling instead of the cleans I'm looking for.

Someone didn't listen to the whole song
Quote by G.9
Scald seems more shout/scream.

Are you deaf?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
eh I'm bored of the mid to high pitched cleans in most bands, thats why I like funeral, I didn't notice you wanted aggression; aggressions boring ;o
Quote by falconthefirst
Killswitch Engage? A little bit

A: Not metal.

B: Not at all.
Quote by falconthefirst
Killswitch Engage? A little bit

This is the metal forum.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Type O Negative, maybe? I'm not sure if they're 'metal' by Metal Forum standards, but they're pretty fucking awesome.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HA2jRroiI
Can't believe I forgot Vintersorg!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Well, if he asked for clean tenor vocals, I wouldn't send him a baritone utilizing falsetto, either.

Reading his massive response post, I stand corrected.

It seems he is definitely looking for true bass as opposed to just low pitch in general...
Page 1 of 2