Not really an overhaul, but i am wanting changing a few things.

I was thinking of swapping 1 or mabye both V30's out and getting some Greenbacks or something more along the lines of classic rock, any suggestions? Mabye 1 GB and 1 V30? With this, i would need 2x 16ohm speakers to get 8 ohms, right?

When i swap the speakers, would it just be a simple swap, as in the connectors in the same spots and everything screwed in properly? (My V30's are 16ohm's, so im just guessing that as long as i connect the wire's to the same spots, everything should be sweet.)

Now pickups, I think this is my main problem, i have a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, and its just too trebly and bitey, not smooth at all. And in the neck is the stock Epi PU, which is super bassy and loose. I need a balance, and in the middle position, the Tone Zone just overpowers the stock PU completely.

I think ill be best swapping the PU's and then seeing if i still want to swap speakers, but what PU's would be best for blues and classic/hard rock? I want to keep it kind of cheap, mabye $140 AU a pickup.

So, any recomendations?
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
I'm not good with ohmage stuff, however, for your pickups, might I suggest an Air Norton in your neck position? I think you'll like that for your needs. As for a replacement to the Tone Zone in the bridge, a FRED or Norton? I actually use a combo of Air Norton and Evo (the first one, I bought that sucker 12 years ago), and it works well for me, but you may not want the super articulation of the Evolution.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you wanted a brand name pickup your gonna have to bump your budget to about $200 per pickup. $180 minimum.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I would suggest you look at 12in (Warehouse guitar speakers)WGS Green Beret (Greenback copy). I've got one in my Budda SD 18II and it sounds Fantastic. The quility of WGS Are top notch as good as the Celestions i own (V30 and g12k).
http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=green25_12&PHPSESSID=0ded00a29d097b898168fc42852e31c1
I wouldn't get a Greenback. At least not if you're keeping the V30. A Celestion G12H30 would work much better. It's similar to a Greenback, but with more bass and thoratier mids. It's my all time favourite speaker and it's known for mixing VERY well with a V30 too.

Could you take a photo of the cab? Then it's easier for us to see how to connect them.

For pickups, maybe a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and a '59 in the neck? Or even a set fo '59s?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I wouldn't get a Greenback. At least not if you're keeping the V30. A Celestion G12H30 would work much better. It's similar to a Greenback, but with more bass and thoratier mids. It's my all time favourite speaker and it's known for mixing VERY well with a V30 too.

Could you take a photo of the cab? Then it's easier for us to see how to connect them.

For pickups, maybe a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and a '59 in the neck? Or even a set fo '59s?

+1 to the G12H30. It's my favorite speaker for non-modelling amps. Those pickups would be pretty good, but I prefer Dimarzio. If you get a Super Distortion, AT-1, or D-Sonic in the bridge, I think that would warm/thicken up your sound quite a bit. As for the neck, the Air Norton is my personal favorite. You may want to give the Liquifire a try, because John Petrucci has excellent clarity in the neck position. Check out Dimarzio's website, as they have a pickup picker.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
+1 to the G12H30. It's my favorite speaker for non-modelling amps. Those pickups would be pretty good, but I prefer Dimarzio. If you get a Super Distortion, AT-1, or D-Sonic in the bridge, I think that would warm/thicken up your sound quite a bit. As for the neck, the Air Norton is my personal favorite. You may want to give the Liquifire a try, because John Petrucci has excellent clarity in the neck position. Check out Dimarzio's website, as they have a pickup picker.

Those might be too high gain though. He doesn't need to have super high gain pickups, he's be better of with low-medium gain pickups.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Those might be too high gain though. He doesn't need to have super high gain pickups, he's be better of with low-medium gain pickups.

Good point. The AT-1 isn't high gain at all though, it's the Andy Timmons pickup. The Air Norton really doesn't have high output either. The other ones are pretty hot though. I suppose if you're going with really high output passive pickups, you might as well get EMGs.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Good point. The AT-1 isn't high gain at all though, it's the Andy Timmons pickup. The Air Norton really doesn't have high output either. The other ones are pretty hot though. I suppose if you're going with really high output passive pickups, you might as well get EMGs.

Yeah true... What I meant is that both are fairly modern though. Since he plays mostly blues, classic rock and hard rock I'm thinking a PAF copy could suit him well. PAFs can definetly do higher gain, listen to my 18watter and you can hear that they are great for Van Halen.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yeah true... What I meant is that both are fairly modern though. Since he plays mostly blues, classic rock and hard rock I'm thinking a PAF copy could suit him well. PAFs can definetly do higher gain, listen to my 18watter and you can hear that they are great for Van Halen.

I must have mistakenly thought he played stuff a little higher gain than that, in addition to what you mentioned. In that case, the JB and '59 are a tried and true pickup combo, that can do metal as well, incidentally. TS, if you want to switch things up a bit, then try a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
I must have mistakenly thought he played stuff a little higher gain than that, in addition to what you mentioned. In that case, the JB and '59 are a tried and true pickup combo, that can do metal as well, incidentally. TS, if you want to switch things up a bit, then try a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge.

I see

I find the JB to be a bit too bright and I think a Custom Custom or Custom 5 or possibly a Pearly Gates are way better choices.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

So a G12H30 and V30 works quite well for blues and classic/hard rock? Would two G12's work better?

Ill take a picture of the cab later today if i can, thanks for that.

Pickups - Pearly Gates were what i was going to get before, thanks for reminding me about them, completely forgot. One place sells them for $215 each, and another for $147 each...

Also, i need opinions on whether to buy another guitar or not. Its a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst. One of my favourite guitars ever, and the guys is selling it for $550 AU, including a hardcase. Sound like a great deal, but is having two guitars that are basically the same pointless, seeing as i dont change tunings? At the price, im really considering getting it. Heres a pic, looks to be in pretty good condition.

Cheers for all the help.

Quote by Danyg
I would say two G12Hs are even better. I find the Vintage 30 to be way too shrill and harsh.

At that price? Well then don't get them. Get these. I have a set of them. They are PERFECT clones of a PAF and IMO they are the best humbuckers I have ever played. Listen to the clip in my profile and the demo in my sig to hear them. They are simply amazing. I wanted to recommend them for you, but thought they were out of your budget. But with that price for Duncans you might as well get Bareknuckles instead.

It's a sweet deal and I can see you want it. Perhaps buy that and sell your other Les Paul? It will get more since it has Dimarzios in it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I feel the same way about the V30's. Ill look for someone to trade my V30's for G12H's.

Forgot to say that the Duncans are in AU. The Bareknuckles would cost over $300 AU. Thanks for the link though, when i leave school and actually have a job, ill look into them.

With my Les Paul - It was my first guitar, and i bought a studio. Later when i realised what i liked in a guitar, i went and bought some cream binding and pickup covers, truss rod covers, jack plates, the lot. When i glued the binding on... lets just say i wasnt in my right mind. Anyway, i spilled a bit of glue around the edges of the guitar, so i doubt id be able to get much for it. Its hard to see unless your in the right light, but still enough to turn away potential buyers.

To tell you the truth, i dont think i will ever sell this guitar for two reasons. Sentimental value, being my first guitar and 'modifying' it the first time i was drunk, and then theres the fact that i wouldnt get much for it.

I think ill go for it at that price. Worst comes to worst, sell the Silverburst for around $500 AU or mabye more, and keep the hardcase as i was going to buy one soon enough.

Thanks for the help Gabe, really appreciated.

Quote by Danyg
I counted in AU. A set is $312 with shipping. You said a Duncan was at last $175 a piece, so this is cheaper!

I understand!

No problem!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Wow your right, sorry about that, i thought that price was for each pickup. My bad. Ill definately look into getting them.

Quote by Danyg
I would if I were you. They're handwired and to be honest they just sound amazing. Everobody heard a big difference. They really let your guitar ring through and they have great clarity.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Heres a pic of the speakers.

Its an 8 ohm cab, and the speakers are 16 ohm each. So if i got two 16 ohm G12H's, would i just need to connect the wires exactly as shown here?

Quote by Danyg
Well if they're not soldered on (and they don't look to be) that would be all, yes.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah, they're not soldered on, so that makes it easy.

Thanks again Gabe.

Quote by Danyg