Poll: Do dangerous thoughts exist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do dangerous thoughts exist?
Yes
27 51%
No
22 42%
I don't care/I'm not very philosophical
4 8%
Voters: 53.
So, I was talking to an old friend of mine and that he asked me if there were any dangerous thoughts....

I think there probably are but as long as they are just thought, they are harmless...

What do you think? Give an explanation and example if possible.

Poll coming...
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Oct 10, 2009,
I have dangerous thoughts.

What is this?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Sounds like something a government official or a closed minded religious person would say.

No, there aren't any dangerous thoughts from a standpoint of reality; if your opinion of reality is skewed because you want to keep your mind closed off, there are thoughts that put you in danger of freeing your mind.

as long as it's not suicide or murder, duh.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I voted no, but I thought about it again and now I'm pondering this:

I said no because a thought itself can do absolutely nothing, therefore, how could a harmful thought ever exist?

Then I was like, well, there are evil thoughts that can be pushed on others to manipulate or extort their skills and use them towards evil, so I guess those would be dangerous.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I'll stick with no, though. because in those instances, it takes carrying out the thoughts to actually do damage.
Last edited by RinestoneCowboy at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by thedefrockednun
For example?

These thoughts urge me to kill.

Do bad things.

It's not my fault though.

Quote by CrossBack7
I guess it's up to he individuals opinion of whether ____________ is dangerous. I guess suicidal thoughts or those to conspire against someone else could be considered dangerous...
a little lost.....
YOu cant really control your mind, your thinking about everything. I just try to get things like suicide/rape/murder and all that stuff out of my head.I dont know if they can be called dangerous thoughts, but thats just my opinion. (other people label free thinking dangerous >.>
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
they are only dangerous if you have no self control, and no perspective,
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
But ****!

It's him!

He's telling me to do it.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by thedefrockednun
The other question would be, who are the thoughts dangerous for? yourself or for others?

If you read my post, the answer would be everyone. Using what most people posted (chopping of nuts, killing of self) then still it is dangerous to both.

NEVER!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
your mother being boned hard by 3 huge black dudes. dangerous thought? i think so. it can lead to self destruction, i mean imagine them shoving there huge black cocks up your mums arse. and her screaming for more. get my point?
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
your mother being boned hard by 3 huge black dudes. dangerous thought? i think so. it can lead to self destruction, i mean imagine them shoving there huge black cocks up your mums arse. and her screaming for more. get my point?

No, what are you saying?
Yes, and this champion among men had them...

The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by sashki
If you think "dangerous" thoughts, you start to believe them. If they're destructive and hateful thoughts, you may end up hurting yourself and/or other people because of them.

Now that's an interesting thought....

Maybe the danger thoughts depend on the intelligence of a person...
No, but thoughts turn into ideas and ideas must be stopped.

// Stalin
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by thedefrockednun

Quite a few people in this thread have said something similar, that someone may be unintelligent if they allow negative thoughts to become behaviours, but I think it's just a matter of awareness. Even very knowledgable people do things detrimental to themselves and others around them because they aren't aware their thinking is unrealistic or irrational.
Quote by thedefrockednun
Now that's an interesting thought....

People with extreme opinions have varying intelligence, it's just that society considers them stupid for having hurtful opinions.

I know this is a bad example, but look at Hitler: he had extreme opinions and thoughts that ended up being fatal to millions of people, but he wasn't exactly stupid.
I am in no way supporting his actions, just using him as an example.
Intelligence has got nothing to do with crime.
Stupid people just beat other's up and steal stuff to stupid way.
Smart people are serial killers and the actual smart thieves.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ