Hello, I've recently entered the whole songwriting phenomenon, and I've hit a snag. I can usually write a bit of music (a few chord progressions with a melody) and maybe a few lines of lyrics, but I can't seem to put the two together. Now I realize that there's no one way to write a song, and asking "how do I write a song" is downright juvenile, but does anyone have any songwriting tips or methods that they have found to be very effective?

Cheers,
Kasandude
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Personally I tend to write music then based on the emotive nature of the music get a theme for lyrics, then write them to fit the music.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by rednightmare
Personally I tend to write music then based on the emotive nature of the music get a theme for lyrics, then write them to fit the music.

I do pretty much that.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I like to write lyrics first, then figure out a nice way that I can sing it - then match the keys of my voice to guitar or whatever instrument. Once the chords and song key is established I'll try to write interesting riffs to fit into the vocal patterns.

I've tried to write guitar first then sing to it, I just end up getting frustrated due to my lack of singing abilities. haha.

myspace.com/weasheroesband