Page 1 of 2
Guitarists represent a small part of the general population, so not everybody is a potential customer. Plus, it's not every day, or even every month that someone might buy a guitar or amplifier.

I imagine strings, accessories, and maybe also cheap guitars for little n00blets form the largest part of the income, but is that enough to pay off all the expenses of owning a store?

The same applies to other highly specialized shops. Few people ever buy anything there, yet they've been around for ages. How can they afford to stay open?
I bought my VC30 for $1800 at my local store (keep the business going), so I reckon that should've kept them going for a couple weeks >.>

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
They make a lot of profit on each guitar. Seriously.

I can imagine, and yet workers' salaries would cut a huge chunk into that unless this is rolling profit from consistent sales. I guess what we see in a shop (i.e. people looking but not buying) doesn't reflect the overall state of what really happens, maybe there are times that there is a real boom in profit that help them through the figurative droughts.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

This.
But for everything, even picks/strings and other small stuff.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

Quote by SG_dave
huge markups dude...
a gibson at cost in bulk costs about £300 they then sell em for about £2000
and strings/picks/cables etc. sell for about a 100% markup.
and don't forget that some places offer lessons which are effectively all profit.

These, plus I don't think I've ever seen a guitar shop solely selling guitar-related things. They usually sell stuff to other kinds of musicians, too.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
These, plus I don't think I've ever seen a guitar shop solely selling guitar-related things. They usually sell stuff to other kinds of musicians, too.

I've been to several shops which sell guitars only. Not even amplifiers. They might have one amp to try stuff out.

I think it's because drums, for example, need a whole lot more space. If you own a small shop, you can only fit, like, 2 complete drum kits in it, or a few PA systems, whereas guitars you can hang on the walls.

Besides, it's more likely that a guitarist will own several guitars than a drummer will own several complete drum sets.
Quote by Kensai

Precisely.
Quote by tyler_j
Precisely.

Hey Tyler, ever visited the music shop in Holden Hill?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
You made me think about it for a minute. I suppose my local store makes a lot of money from doing instrument repairs. They also hire out space to teachers for their lessons, so that'd give them a bit of income. Couple that with the money they make from sales, even if it is from things like strings, and you've got a working business.
Not a huge fan of bees
I've wondered the same.
There's a piano shop in my old hometown, and the can't be a single item in there for less than £2000, and yet they've been going for decades.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Hey Tyler, ever visited the music shop in Holden Hill?

Once or twice, it's got a pretty good selection in there.
Quote by tyler_j
Once or twice, it's got a pretty good selection in there.

Yea, it's a cool place, might get a bass from there soon. I really don't like Allan's Music in town. Way overpriced.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Yea, it's a cool place, might get a bass from there soon. I really don't like Allan's Music in town. Way overpriced.

My main 'places of business' are in Salisbury, (Music Corner is the one I go to, I think), and BMC which is all the way out in Tanunda. In fact, I've bought the majority of my acoustic stuff from BMC.
Allan's is pretty good though if you want to get ripped off.
I bought a slide from there a few weeks back; never again.
i'd venture a guess and say that some shops (or rather, most shops) probably aren't doing so well, but they're bound by their lease to stay the full 5 years (or however many years they leased it for)
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Quote by tyler_j
My main 'places of business' are in Salisbury, (Music Corner is the one I go to, I think), and BMC which is all the way out in Tanunda. In fact, I've bought the majority of my acoustic stuff from BMC.
Allan's is pretty good though if you want to get ripped off.
I bought a slide from there a few weeks back; never again.

Sweet, I didn't know there was a shop out in Tanunda. If I'm out that way I'll be sure to try and find it.

And yea They told me that it would cost $40 to repair the warped neck on my Gretsch and that it would be ready by Monday. 3 weeks later and $120 more I got it back.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Sweet, I didn't know there was a shop out in Tanunda. If I'm out that way I'll be sure to try and find it.

And yea They told me that it would cost $40 to repair the warped neck on my Gretsch and that it would be ready by Monday. 3 weeks later and $120 more I got it back.

Yeah, they're pretty bad like that, eh?

The Tanunda one is possibly the best around. Pretty easy to find too, end of the main street. They do heaps of business there.

So in response to TS; if the business maintains a healthy customer base and branches out into not only guitar related products, they will no doubt maintain sufficient income to meet all their expenses and needs.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I was in Allans in Adelaide once and the atmosphere was real dark and the place was just really uninviting, and there's a couple of good dudes at the Melbourne one but alot of them are just greedy salespeople screwing each other over to earn a little commision.
The guys at my local store are really friendly and even lent my guitarist a guitar to take to a gig to try out and always give the regulars really good deals and such.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by consecutive e
I was in Allans in Adelaide once the atmosphere was real dark and the place was just really uninviting, and there's a couple of good dudes at the Melbourne one but alot of them are just greedy salespeople screwing each other over to earn a little commision.
The guys at my local store are really friendly and even lent my guitarist a guitar to take to a gig to try out and always give the regulars really good deals and such.

The guys in the one at Tanunda are awesome people.
They'd probably lend you their first born if you asked for it.
At PMT in Birmingham they told me that this year despite the reccession had been extremely busy and they had sold loads of guitars
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
It's because they also rent out small boys, no questions asked so long as you scrub them in bleach before returning them.
You just have to know to give the sign(usually playing Smoke On The Water).
I work for a guitar shop and yes, we mostly sell cheap guitars for beginners, cheap amps and accessories. We have other instruments as well, but it doesn't honestly help that much (for us, anyway). Big sales are not so rare as you might think, but I'm in Switzerland so there are a lot of stinky rich bastards!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Additionally, sales boom around Christmas, and many stores have in house techs.

This. Very true.

And last thing, there are no products that return a 100% profit, nor we buy Gibsons for 300 bucks. We are no thieves, we just make good buisness...
Quote by Bank'O_Matt
I work for a guitar shop and yes, we mostly sell cheap guitars for beginners, cheap amps and accessories. We have other instruments as well, but it doesn't honestly help that much (for us, anyway). Big sales are not so rare as you might think, but I'm in Switzerland so there are a lot of stinky rich bastards!

This. Very true.

And last thing, there are no products that return a 100% profit, nor we buy Gibsons for 300 bucks. We are no thieves, we just make good buisness...

Yes, but you're in Switzerland.
People there either yodel or play alpenhorns when they want music, you can't judge countries that aren't brimming with gold the Nazis stole by your own standards.
Also don't forget that lots of stores lend music equipment like PA's, consoles etc.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Firstly, a lot of shops run a 'consignment stock' basis where they only pay for stock after they sell it.
High margins. Common mark-ups would be around:
Guitars Amp and speakers 100%
Pedals cables 200%
Strings straps 500%
Picks 1000%
My local shop sponsors radio shows, charity events and talent contests, even in this recession.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by X_Op3th_X
Also don't forget that lots of stores lend music equipment like PA's, consoles etc.

Lots, but certainly not all.

I'm mean tiny stores that are just, like, one room with a desk. I've seen plenty of those around.
Guitar popularity is rising like hell, because of Guitar Hero. So not be cocky and flame everyonle playing that game.
I odnt know about other guitar shops, but we have Kosmic Sound here in Perth, and generally, if you pay cash they will knock off about $400 off a guitar retailing for about $1200. They do it fairly consistently and on nearly all items... so, then, does that mean they jack the prices up more so that they can take some off when selling to a customer so that the customer thinks they are getting a better deal and buy more stuff?

also, to the TS, when someone buys a guitar, it is extremely likely that they are going to want more stuff like picks straps, etc. and are going to want to upgrade later. If they think they are getting a good deal, then they are likely to come back, no?
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
Quote by wellsy411
I odnt know about other guitar shops, but we have Kosmic Sound here in Perth, and generally, if you pay cash they will knock off about $400 off a guitar retailing for about $1200. They do it fairly consistently and on nearly all items... so, then, does that mean they jack the prices up more so that they can take some off when selling to a customer so that the customer thinks they are getting a better deal and buy more stuff?

also, to the TS, when someone buys a guitar, it is extremely likely that they are going to want more stuff like picks straps, etc. and are going to want to upgrade later. If they think they are getting a good deal, then they are likely to come back, no?

What'd you get 400 off on? Megamusic was gonna charge me $90 for a metronome i got at $50 somewhere else They wouldnt bring it down when i told them either
Quote by MightyAl
Yes, but you're in Switzerland.
People there either yodel or play alpenhorns when they want music, you can't judge countries that aren't brimming with gold the Nazis stole by your own standards.

Fair enough!
Quote by sashki
Guitarists represent a small part of the general population,

I disagree with this in a way, yes guitarists represent a small part of the general population but the amount of houses with a guitar is crazy. 90% of people try to learn guitar at one stage or another*.

*statistics may not be true.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Quote by tom1thomas1
What'd you get 400 off on? Megamusic was gonna charge me $90 for a metronome i got at $50 somewhere else They wouldnt bring it down when i told them either

I Dislike MegaMusic. Kosmics is much better IMO. It was my brothers bass. its worth $1195.00 retail and he got it for $829.

My drummer walked into Kosmics with $300 looking for some cheap recording gear and he got a decent mic, a mic stand, a mic lead, a decent mixer and software. He didnt really want anything fancy but what he got was worth probably $450-$400.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
I did work experience at an archery shop last September and I was surprised as to the amount of people who came in. they probably make a huge profit on each thing sold anyway.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Page 1 of 2