Hello all.
I'm looking at getting a new bass guitar, because I'm still using my starter one, which isn't the greatest to play (Says Benson on the head, but that's all I know. It came with bag, tiny amp, strings, and the guitar for about £80). I was looking at saving up fo a new one, but just saw the sorts of prices. I would probably go up to about £220~ max, for a decent new bass. I mainly play rock/alt rock.
Thanks all.
-TCD.
Look for second hand, I know you want new but buying second hand is much better value (I bought an £800 guitar for £350 a week ago). "nd hand you could get a Squier VM Jazz/Precision and a Kustom KBA16, arguably the best starter set. New you could get an Ibanez GAX and possibly a custom. People will suggest Acoustic amps but don't bother looking as its impossible to get one in the UK.
Quote by Spaz91
Look for second hand, I know you want new but buying second hand is much better value (I bought an £800 guitar for £350 a week ago). "nd hand you could get a Squier VM Jazz/Precision and a Kustom KBA16, arguably the best starter set. New you could get an Ibanez GAX and possibly a custom. People will suggest Acoustic amps but don't bother looking as its impossible to get one in the UK.

I though that as well but apparently the Bass Gallery in Camden stocks them. so if your a londoner like me then its probably worth the visit

As Spaz91 said, Squier VM/CV's are nice basses
I assume by VM you mean the vintage modified?
I read the FAQ and saw it, it looks really nice.
EDIT: Looking on google shopping, new it seems ~£220, unless I've missed something somewhere.
I guess I could also do with a new amp, seeing how mine's about 12" square and about 10W. =P
Last edited by TheCommieDuck at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by TheCommieDuck
I assume by VM you mean the vintage modified?
I read the FAQ and saw it, it looks really nice.
EDIT: Looking on google shopping, new it seems ~£220, unless I've missed something somewhere.

I've seen it go for as low as £150 and as high as £300 so thats about right.
Its a big step up pricewise from 10w to something that'll actually make a difference.
30w will be good for jamming, 100w to be heard by the drummer properly, 300w to play live. Kustom practise amps are good but they get seriously expensive as you go up
a squier is good...my friend might get the precision special..it is a normal pbass with a jazz pick up as well
Apparently the jazz one has a smaller neck, and my fingers are really stupid...(I can only really fret with 3, because my little finger is so short). And it looks great. Just out of interest, how much would an amp, say about 30-50W, be?
Thanks everyone.
-TCD
Squier VMs are great, as Spaz said, try looking secondhand. A used Ibanez would be great if you can find one
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass