I read somewhere that there are top-of-the-line, "money is no object" guitar pots that are permanently sealed and military-grade. I don't see them for sale at Stew-Mac.

Unless there is actually no such thing, does anyone know where they can be purchased? (I am in the United States.)

Thank you to all who reply.
Why would a guitar supplier sell military grade pots?

and whats wrong with CTS pots?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
while military grade pots do exist, im not sure they would really be useful in a guitar. one of the biggest differences ive seen in military vs. civilian equipment is the ruggedness. so unless you go playing somewhere where vibration is a huge issue, you have large ammounts of condensation where you play, or you continually drop your guitar, i dont really see the benefit of military grade pots. i think once you get to the point of needing them to be that rugged, your guitar isnt going to hold up to the abuse.

now do they sound better? i have no experience with that, but i doubt it. military stuff is made to work, it doesnt have to have those audio properties that pots known for guitar use have.
Most places only sell the cheaper 1$-5$ pots, alpha CTS etc. Antique electronic supply carries the good ones. Allesandro is the milspec brand, but 15$ ea. Gonna be overkill for any sort of guitar application. They are supposed to be nice tho if you get em let us know if they are worth the extra cash.
I have used Military Spec PECs in amp builds before. They are nice big ridged enclosed pots, rated at 2W as well.

They helped cut down on floor noise in my amp, that would be the 2W rating. There is less "resistance" to them when you turn them than Alpha/CTS.
i would think that kurtlives is correct, they would be usefull in a amp, where there is more movment, heat, vibration, ect.

i think it would be overkill in a guitar, your guitar will simply be destroyed if you ever NEED to use this type of thing.

im guessing you just wanna one-up everyone... but w/e if you want it, have it.

ohh and ts, have you got a military grade guitar, too?
or are you taking it to war, lol.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Absent Mind
Why would a guitar supplier sell military grade pots?

and whats wrong with CTS pots?

CTS has taken a huge nosedive in quality over the last year or 2. I've got nearly 200 CTS pots in stock that I can't sell because of dodgy tapers. When you turn the knob the slightest bit the volume or tone take a nose dive and then there is almost no effect between about 9 and 0.

Military grade pots are as good as you can get but a bit overkill. Now days I like bourns pots.

Quote by kurtlives91
I have used Military Spec PECs in amp builds before. They are nice big ridged enclosed pots, rated at 2W as well.

They helped cut down on floor noise in my amp, that would be the 2W rating. There is less "resistance" to them when you turn them than Alpha/CTS.

Yeah, a huge improvment with amps
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 10, 2009,
Thank you for all the replies. To answer the question why do I think I "need" them? The pots in my guitar now are hardly more than two years old, and are already becoming dirty, and make the "scratchy" noises through my amp when I turn them. I imagine that I shouldn't be having this problem with pots only a couple of years old, but I am, and I have no reason to believe that if I were to replace them with more of the same brand, the problem would not exist again in another two years. Yes, I know that there are methods and products for cleaning them... but:

Sealed pots (especially a well-sealed, mil-spec one), would last a lifetime and never do that.

By the way, a "military-grade" product can be something as simple as a nut or bolt. The designation can be very helpful to civilians for knowing the quality of construction of countless products and items.
Last edited by rlprlp at Oct 11, 2009,
What guitar is it? If its a cheap guitar it'l probably have cheap pots and therefor wont last, but you might be able to upgrade without having to go as far as military spec.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ill agree on CTS quality going down. I bought some not long ago for an amp and the ones sent had plastic shafts, pretty much looked like a copy of the cheap chinese made ones out there. Nothing like the older CTS pots I have.