Hey,

If this is the wrong forum, just close/move/let me know

I record using Guitar Rig 3 and Cubase SX. Whenever I run more than one track with Guitar Rig 3, the computer slows the fuck down and there's much clipping and popping.

I'm willing to upgrade my computer to resolve this, but don't know what to upgrade. RAM? CPU? I really don't know.

Thanks in advance
I'm Sam
Last edited by The_Raven at Oct 10, 2009,
Just use GR one at a time. Insert GR as an effect, record (this is only if you want to hear guitar rig, which would be good so you know if you mess up). Then take OFF the GR insert. Now select the whole audio track and APPLY GR as an effect, but don't insert it as an effect. Now you have the wet signal of GR but it's not actually inserted as an effect, and wont take up any RAM or memory or whatever.

That was probably confusing... I might be able to explain it better if you didn't understand that.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by Ignite
Just use GR one at a time. Insert GR as an effect, record (this is only if you want to hear guitar rig, which would be good so you know if you mess up). Then take OFF the GR insert. Now select the whole audio track and APPLY GR as an effect, but don't insert it as an effect. Now you have the wet signal of GR but it's not actually inserted as an effect, and wont take up any RAM or memory or whatever.

That was probably confusing... I might be able to explain it better if you didn't understand that.

I don't understand how to "APPLY GR" as an effect. Can you explain that a bit more?

Normally I just use GR as an insert for the particular part I am recording, take it off when I'm done, do it for the whole song then when I've recorded everything, go and apply the appropriate GR setting as an insert for every track. Takes up truckloads of memory, ridiculous amounts so I can barely move the mouse. My question was, what part of the computer is this proportionate to? What would I need to upgrade to fix this?

I appreciate your help, but ultimately I want to able GR a lot easier and smoother. I'm getting GR4 soon, and that will take up a lot of memory I'm sure, so I want to know what I would need to upgrade so it ran smoothly, so the memory was...bigger?
I'm Sam
Last edited by The_Raven at Oct 10, 2009,
What are the specs on your computer currently? Are you running any other programs in the background?

RAM is most likely the issue, but could be the processor. Hate to say it, but it might just be better to buy a whole new computer if that's slowing your computer that much...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What are the specs on your computer currently? Are you running any other programs in the background?

RAM is most likely the issue, but could be the processor. Hate to say it, but it might just be better to buy a whole new computer if that's slowing your computer that much...

Eh, I hope it's just the RAM. I'll grab the specs later today. Can you replace processors, if so, are they expensive?
I'm Sam
Quote by The_Raven
Eh, I hope it's just the RAM. I'll grab the specs later today. Can you replace processors, if so, are they expensive?

You can, but it will be limited to the type of motherboard you have.

If your computer is running that slow with two programs, a processor that will work on your motherboard shouldn't be too much, but then again, you might already be "fully upgraded" in that department.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 10, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
You can, but it will be limited to the type of motherboard you have.

If your computer is running that slow with two programs, a processor that will work on your motherboard shouldn't be too much, but then again, you might already be "fully upgraded" in that department.

So, upgrading RAM AND processor might fix it and then, the motherboard might not be able to take it? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new computer, second hand or something?

Another thing, though this is probably the wrong place to ask, for the life of me, I can't work out "freezing" on Cubase.
I'm Sam