I have been playing for about 6 months now.

My dreadnought is not comfortable so I always play my electric.

I am looking at some parlour style guitars because they fit me better.

Will I be bummed with the sound?

should I go acoustic-electric to make up for it?

any suggestions would be great.

Rock and blues.

Looking for $500-800 USD

Thanks.
I am in the exact same boat! I love my even larger Yamaha and the sound of a full bodies guitar, and though I am 6'4" and 300 pounds, I want a smaller unit. I have recently played a dozen or so parlour style...and the comfort and playability are there...but sound is lacking. AAHHH! Should have started with one. Good luck, keep looking. I have found Martin and Parkwood (if you can swing it) have really good sound for a smaller acoustic. Most of all though...keep playing and stay positive!
RS
there are a couple smaller guitar sizes that are larger than parlors. taylor calls the standard sizes grand auditorium and grand concert, martin calls them OM and OOO. i'd say that if you can go a little bigger than a parlor it will be better for rock and blues.

btw, i've played a couple parlors that had deeper bodies than normal and had more sound. one was a larrivee and the other was a blueridge, although the larrivee was the winner to me in that area.

strangely enough i find some jumbos easier to play than dreads, probably because of the smaller waist.
Quote by patticake
there are a couple smaller guitar sizes that are larger than parlors. taylor calls the standard sizes grand auditorium and grand concert, martin calls them OM and OOO. i'd say that if you can go a little bigger than a parlor it will be better for rock and blues.

btw, i've played a couple parlors that had deeper bodies than normal and had more sound. one was a larrivee and the other was a blueridge, although the larrivee was the winner to me in that area.

strangely enough i find some jumbos easier to play than dreads, probably because of the smaller waist.

Thanks!

The grand auditorium/concert and
OM/OOO are what I was thinking.
And the smaller waist helps me also.
Anyone try or own any of these?

fender grand auditorium CD 360SCE
Martin 000X1 or 000CX1E
Yamaha L Series LS6

And what do you think of them?

EDIT: Alright I'm more in the $400-500 range now. Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks.
Last edited by KBaird at Oct 21, 2009,
The only one I would pick(personally) is the Yamaha.

Is the Dreadnought really that uncomfortable? How long have you been playing it? I used to hate the size of my dread as well, but after playing it for over a year now, everything else is just too small. I hug my Martin as I play. hahaha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
try an Ovation
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
With a dreadnought I can't see what my hands are doing.
Not good, unless I want to learn like a blind person.

I am short and the grand auditorium is a much better fit.
I will see if a local store has any Yamaha's.
Sorry one more.

Any one try/own the Yamaha CPX500?

Recap.......................
fender grand auditorium CD 360SCE
Martin 000X1 or 000CX1E
Yamaha L Series LS6
Yamaha CPX500

Any thing else I should try?

Thanks.
don't go for the lower end Martin. how about SEAGULL COASTLINE CEDAR PARLOR (GRAND) GUITAR ?
Quote by captivate
The only one I would pick(personally) is the Yamaha.

Is the Dreadnought really that uncomfortable? How long have you been playing it? I used to hate the size of my dread as well, but after playing it for over a year now, everything else is just too small. I hug my Martin as I play. hahaha.

You do? Try holding it a tad bit away from your stomach. You'll find that you gain some volume and projection. The back is a vibrating part of the guitar much as the front is, although not to the same extreme. But they do both go hand in hand when it comes to the sound output of an acoustic. Just give it a try. There is a noticeable difference.
I play sitting down most of the time and my arms aren't quite long enough to play with it away from my body. I do try to play with my arm off the top of the acoustic as much as possible though.
Equipment:

i wanted something smaller than my grand concert, so i ordered a seagull coastline grand monday. it should be here friday - it's all the same materials as my s6, although a narrower neck. will post when i see how it plays.

Quote by Symtex
don't go for the lower end Martin. how about SEAGULL COASTLINE CEDAR PARLOR (GRAND) GUITAR ?
I went and played about 15-20 guitars.

I really liked the Martin 000CX1E and I still like the taylor 114.
The martin body is much thinner and was a good fit for me.

The takamine and parkwood that were $300
to 400 were pretty nice and had good sound.

I wish seagull made an grand auditorium.
The closest thing that Seagull has to a GA style body is the mini-jumbo. Try one out of you can. It's pretty much my all time favourite Seagull, even when it was only offered in solid top. The sound was really articulate and full bodied.
Equipment:

Checked out a seagull mini jumbo and it may work out for me.

It was a little squeaky, was it the guitar or the stock strings?

My S6 was better with martin 11's.

Can you drop it from 12's to 11's with just a truss rod adjustment?

Thanks.
Last edited by KBaird at Oct 29, 2009,
the mini jumbo doesn't seem squeaky to me, and i've tried maybe 7 or 8 of them. btw, i actually prefer the laminate back and sides version to the all solid version of the mini jumbo - a lot. i played both for my husband at mccabes last week without telling him which was which and he also strongly preferred the laminate back and sides version to the sws version.

you can drop to 11's very possibly without a truss rod adjustment. i dropped from 12s to 10s on two guitars recently and one didn't need to be adjusted.
Thanks.

Now my wife wants to start playing guitar.

Would you suggest 10's or 11's for her?
depends on her ability to build hand strength. most people, men and women, seem to develop more than i do - why not have her start on 11s and see how she does?

btw, seagull makes a folk guitar that's smaller than a dread but larger than a parlor
http://www.seagullguitars.com/productcoastfolk.htm
sounds very similar in size to a grand concert since it says the size is "based on the dimensions of a classical guitar". they have it at amazon for $397.

Quote by KBaird
Thanks.

Now my wife wants to start playing guitar.

Would you suggest 10's or 11's for her?