ive been looking at a prs ce 22/24 maple top, and i noticed at my store that the custom 22 is a grand more expensive. do you think the cu 22 is worth the extra money? or save the extra and get the ce 22 or 24
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
from all i can tell bolt on neck vs set neck or neck thru not totally sure on that one
Not all that different except the CE has a bolt on maple neck, the 22 has Dragon II pickups (more vintage sounding set) and the 24 has HFS and Vintage bass (more modern sounding set).

And the Custom 22 is just neck set. It's not a neck through build.
so basically the ce 22 is just a custom 22 with a bolt on neck and without the bird inlays?
Basically, yes. More in depth, usually Customs are better finished than CE's. But nothing to worry about, CE's are still top quality guitars and you should base your purchase on whether you prefer a bolt on or a set neck.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
hows the sustain on the bolt on neck? obviously set necks and neck thrus feel a little better but i think bolts on come in handy if u break ur neck or headstock then u dnt have to get the hole guitar fixed you just have to swap necks
Quote by nathan549
but i think bolts on come in handy if u break ur neck or headstock then u dnt have to get the hole guitar fixed you just have to swap necks

It annoys me when I read this. how often have you broken a guitars neck/headstock?

sure it can happen, but it should'nt be the main reason to pick a bolt-on.

The Custom 22 has a mahogany neck. CE22 has a maple one.

CE22 with maple bolt on neck supposedly sounds more strattish than the custom.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
actually both have the same pickups. to samuwel, yeh thats so true. and thats the other thing i forgot the maple vs mahogany neck
check the inlays too. PRS charges a crap load more for bird inlays. i'm sure there are other subtle differences, but the inlays are always a big price jump
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by nathan549
hows the sustain on the bolt on neck? obviously set necks and neck thrus feel a little better but i think bolts on come in handy if u break ur neck or headstock then u dnt have to get the hole guitar fixed you just have to swap necks

Quote by samuwel
It annoys me when I read this. how often have you broken a guitars neck/headstock?

sure it can happen, but it should'nt be the main reason to pick a bolt-on.

Agreed. Also I would think that if you somehow stress your guitar enough to break the neck, there's a good chance that the joint itself and/or guitar body will be damaged as well. Could come in handy if you somehow break the headstock off and can't deal without a new one I suppose.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
check the inlays too. PRS charges a crap load more for bird inlays. i'm sure there are other subtle differences, but the inlays are always a big price jump

For a guitar have bird inlays it has to be a ten top which is a higher grade maple top and finish. So you are going to pay a few hundred for a better looking guitar. They have the same pickups but the neck is going to give a different vibe than the custom gives. I have a custom 22 and love it. Play both and see which one you like better is all I can say.
Quote by lmihay
For a guitar have bird inlays it has to be a ten top which is a higher grade maple top and finish.

Everything you said in that sentence isn't true. There are plenty of Customs with bird inlays that don't have 10 tops and there are a quite a few 10 top CEs that have dots. Also a "10 top" piece of maple is only higher in quality aesthetically and that is usually preference as the system for choosing them is non-standardized.

As for the differences between CEs and Customs, along with the difference in neck wood and construction type the biggest change is that CEs have a nitro finish on their necks instead of a poly like on Customs.

Neither one is better than the other, it really is just preference. If someone tells you otherwise they're either trying to sell you something or trying to justify something they bought.
are CE necks painted?

For me at least, non-painted necks are a big plus. But if I were going to get a PRS it would need the bird inlays...
Definitely not worth the extra grand, they both are way to similar for that amount of money.