I've got an agathis Tele with a transparent blue stain so yeah... It does stain, but I don't know how well it takes it. It's possible that you need lots of thick coats to make it look good. My tele has several thick coats.
Not taking any online orders.
well it depends what you define as "stain" as opposed to just trans clearing it. The idea of a stain is that it makes the grain "pop" out more but really if it's a wood like agathis wood then the grain isn't going to look amazing anyway, so in this case you might just be better off trans clearing it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Okay thanks. Could someone tell me the steps of this then? I want this to be the finished product:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0133000338

How can I achieve that? Any step by step instructions? I already looked at the Painting and Finishing thread and the link provide there does not tell me clearly what to do and it is not step by step so I instantly got confused.

How do you get that clear glossy/shiny finish to it too?
Quote by a7xplayer
Okay thanks. Could someone tell me the steps of this then? I want this to be the finished product:

How can I achieve that? Any step by step instructions? I already looked at the Painting and Finishing thread and the link provide there does not tell me clearly what to do and it is not step by step so I instantly got confused.

I'm no expert, but that does indeed look like a trans clear finish to me rather than staining. Staining is generally left for woods with amazing figuring.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The purpose of staining is to colour wood, it just so happens that figured wood can be 'popped' by using a stain and clear coats.

A lot of boring woods are stained as well, in furniture for example, low quality mahogany with a lot of heartwood or even non mahogany could be stained an even brown to make it look better.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by a7xplayer

There are several inks there that explains how to get that glossy/mirror finish.
Quote by Absent Mind
The purpose of staining is to colour wood, it just so happens that figured wood can be 'popped' by using a stain and clear coats.

A lot of boring woods are stained as well, in furniture for example, low quality mahogany with a lot of heartwood or even non mahogany could be stained an even brown to make it look better.

You do know heartwood is what you want...right?
I think you mean sapwood.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Actually what I meant to say was 'with a lot of change between heartwood and sap wood' e.g a board cut right on the border producing a noticable colour change.

and any way choosing whether you want heartwood and sapwood depends on the wood.

e.g. You want sapwood for maple.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man