I've been wondering about this for a long time now.

Well, we've all heard "Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi, and there's a new song out called "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" by Cage The Elephant, I believe. Anyhoo, both songs have this sound about them. It's that really buzzy and slide-sounding playing on an acoustic, and I was wondering if anybody here knows either what it's called, or (don't call me stupid) how to do it.
I originally thought it was just their guitars tuned really low, but I still can't seem to figure it out. Any help/comments?

I know I'm not the only person who wants to know this! Lol
umm you notice the sliding sound most if your strings are pretty old and you're playing your acoustic through an amp i think. i'm not really the expert on this though.
You mean the squeaking sound you get when your calluses drag on the strings?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Lol Not the calluses... that's a cool idea.

No, it's that...that... it's so hard to explain, but you all know what I mean I think. Listen to the song if you haven't already, that would definitely help. The "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" one. It's the only example I can think of at the moment, but tons of songs do it. It's just a really bad, slide-sounding, buzzy with muted strumming type of playing. And, for all the negativity that it seems I'm putting on it, I really like it. I just can't figure it out! Lol

Any more ideas?
It really just sounds like regular old strumming to me The only thing I can come up with is it sounds like they're playing barre chords and muting the higher strings.

Catchy song though. I like it.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 10, 2009,
I always thought "Wanted" was done using a 12 string..

Maybe that's what you're after.
Quote by King Turi
I always thought "Wanted" was done using a 12 string..

Maybe that's what you're after.

This is true! I'm not sure the 12 string is giving him the sound. I think he's just picking a note, and holding it for a bit before sliding down to the next note. It's more of a technique than something the guitar could do
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by LeftyDave
I believe you're talking about something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW08Rc802MQ

Pretty advanced stuff here, especially seeing as how he's on a 12 string.

that intro is siiiiickk
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce