I play the guitar for about 10months now. when i am practicing I ussualy sit, but sometimes I stand up. when I am standing I feel really uncomfortable and it's really hard for solo's. What am I doing wrong? got any tips
Adjust your strap? if its to high up it really gets my hand sore, if its too low i just can't reach alot of notes.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Practice standing up from now long , it because your not used to it , and raise your strap up high
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
raise your strap lol. (im lauging cause when i first started i tried playing with my guitar super low thinking it would make me better)
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Oct 10, 2009,
Playing standing up is Very different from playing sitting.
You'd look like an idiot with your strap adjusted too high, or too low.

Practice at a certain height on your strap.
Lucks.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Your strap should be at the position where it limits you the least in terms of what you can do on a guitar; the answer is more often than not to wear the guitar high - you can reach higher frets, stretch easier and you put less strain on your wrist. As someone said, yes you look a bit silly with the guitar under your chin, but you'll look sillier when you can't play anything with it low down.
why don`t peeps use the searchbar

stat seated in the classical position, standup, thats where your guitar is suppose to hang ala my profile pic.

if you want to look like a monkey and have back problems later on wear it round your knees, if you want to look like someone who needs special help wear it under your chin.
Quote by Ikonoklast
As someone said, yes you look a bit silly with the guitar under your chin, but you'll look sillier when you can't play anything with it low down.

Agreed. I honestly feel those with their guitar low look rather silly, because it's obviously out of an intent to impress others and ''look cool,'' while those with their guitar strap high are rather genuine in their approach to be able to fully express their musicality without any limitations technique-wise.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Agreed. I honestly feel those with their guitar low look rather silly, because it's obviously out of an intent to impress others and ''look cool,'' while those with their guitar strap high are rather genuine in their approach to be able to fully express their musicality without any limitations technique-wise.

I disagree completely, I play a V and when I'm sat down my guitar is at crotch height. Hence, it makes sense to play with the guitar at the same height when I'm standing up.

As an aside, it makes sense to play the guitar low(ish) when standing up because chances are if you're stood up you're playing for an audience or practicing to play for an audience. There's more to a live show than just the way you sound, you're up there to entertain and part of that is the visual aspect; otherwise you may as well just have the CD playing and not see the band at all. Think about it, when you see bands live they headbang and maybe assume positions they wouldn't usually assume. They might sling the guitar over their shoulder and catch it. It's all for the visual aspect of the show, they are entertainers and surprisingly it's their job to entertain! It would be boring if the band just stood stock still and did nothing - yet all that movement is making it more difficult to play... They learned to do it so they can entertain people.
Image is very important in entertainment, if you've got your guitar that high up people are going to think you look a bit daft and have trouble taking you seriously which in turn is going to ruin the show. You wouldn't go out and play with a dildo strapped to your head (hopefully) so imo it's pure laziness to neglect the guitar aspect of your image.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I disagree completely, I play a V and when I'm sat down my guitar is at crotch height. Hence, it makes sense to play with the guitar at the same height when I'm standing up.

As an aside, it makes sense to play the guitar low(ish) when standing up because chances are if you're stood up you're playing for an audience or practicing to play for an audience. There's more to a live show than just the way you sound, you're up there to entertain and part of that is the visual aspect; otherwise you may as well just have the CD playing and not see the band at all. Think about it, when you see bands live they headbang and maybe assume positions they wouldn't usually assume. They might sling the guitar over their shoulder and catch it. It's all for the visual aspect of the show, they are entertainers and surprisingly it's their job to entertain! It would be boring if the band just stood stock still and did nothing - yet all that movement is making it more difficult to play... They learned to do it so they can entertain people.
Image is very important in entertainment, if you've got your guitar that high up people are going to think you look a bit daft and have trouble taking you seriously which in turn is going to ruin the show. You wouldn't go out and play with a dildo strapped to your head (hopefully) so imo it's pure laziness to neglect the guitar aspect of your image.

Rage are considered one of the most electrifying live bands in recent history.

Edit - Playing guitar up high ≠ being stiff and boring on stage.

Edit - Wait... Did you just compare playing your guitar strapped up a reasonable height to playing with a dildo on your head?

And the award for "Worst Analogy in Human History" goes to...
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Rage are considered one of the most electrifying live bands in recent history.

Edit - Playing guitar up high ≠ being stiff and boring on stage.

Edit - Wait... Did you just compare playing your guitar strapped up a reasonable height to playing with a dildo on your head?

Petrucci's guitar is highish....
Yeah, but there's a reason why James Hetfield is so much cooler than Tom Morello:

Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Yeah, but there's a reason why James Hetfield is so much cooler than Tom Morello:

Comparing those particular pics, i'd put it down to the bigass stream of flames behind him.
Quote by Aleksi

Lol, your username is Aleksi, I wouldn't expect anything different said from you

Although I'm a bit disappointed. Have you not seen old footage of Bodom's early shows? Those are to this day considered their best performances, rather energetic and un-daft as well. And Alexi's guitar was strapped at a realistic guitar height, whereas now it's so low that he can hardly play. And are their modern day shows any more lively/energetic for it? And before you reply and say yes they are because they have a way bigger audience now, that has to do with the mainstream/American approach they have taken with their new albums.

I play with a V myself, but even at it's lowest it's still not crotch height when sitting, that'd be rather extreme to say. The media/mainstream bands have led you to believe that moderate to high guitar straps make you look daft/stiff. Be strong and break away from that

Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Comparing those particular pics, i'd put it down to the bigass stream of flames behind him.

Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 11, 2009,
There's also a reason Hetfield isn't much of a guitarist...

IMO, seeing Varg from Decapitated (when he held his high) headbanging his arse off with his guitar under his chin was way cooler than standing with it by your ankles. I don't like the look of guitarists who hold a guitar low. The lowest it is acceptable is Paul Gilbert.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

I did indeed because you will look equally ridiculous. Seriously, it looks bad.

Quote by fixationdarknes

Lol, your username is Aleksi, I wouldn't expect anything different said from you

Although I'm a bit disappointed. Have you not seen old footage of Bodom's early shows? Those are to this day considered their best performances, rather energetic and un-daft as well. And Alexi's guitar was strapped at a realistic guitar height, whereas now it's so low that he can hardly play. And are their modern day shows any more lively/energetic for it? And before you reply and say yes they are because they have a way bigger audience now, that has to do with the mainstream/American approach they have taken with their new albums.

I play with a V myself, but even at it's lowest it's still not crotch height when sitting, that'd be rather extreme to say. The media/mainstream bands have led you to believe that moderate to high guitar straps make you look daft/stiff. Be strong and break away from that

My username's Aleksi because my real name is Aleksi lol (hence spelling it the Finnish way), nothing to do with Laiho though that bastard rocks my socks.
I'd say even in early Bodom videos he's got his guitar low (not ridiculously low but still low). I'm not saying the guitar has to be super low or you look like a douche but Tom Morello (to use the previous example) looks like a twat.
I don't think Laiho's guitar now is that low either, I saw Bodom live last year and they performed amazingly, the guitar height clearly wasn't inhibiting him.
It might be due to the media that people think high straps look daft but the fact is people DO think having the guitar that high looks stupid. It's the same way men have been conditioned to find certain women attractive, in the past the "ideal woman" was fat, pale with small breasts... Not most people's ideal today. It's very hard to break away from media stereotypes and the people you're going to be entertaining most probably haven't broken away from them.
Quote by Aleksi
I did indeed because you will look equally ridiculous. Seriously, it looks bad.

I'm not gonna lie, I fear for your guitar playing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I practice reclined, its quite close to standing posture really. Just make sure your elbows are free.

Kind of like how you would be on a weightlifting bench, set at 45 degrees or so with a good headrest, put your feet up and use a strap.
Last edited by Tempoe at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by Aleksi

My username's Aleksi because my real name is Aleksi lol (hence spelling it the Finnish way), nothing to do with Laiho though that bastard rocks my socks.
I'd say even in early Bodom videos he's got his guitar low (not ridiculously low but still low). I'm not saying the guitar has to be super low or you look like a douche but Tom Morello (to use the previous example) looks like a twat.
I don't think Laiho's guitar now is that low either, I saw Bodom live last year and they performed amazingly, the guitar height clearly wasn't inhibiting him.
It might be due to the media that people think high straps look daft but the fact is people DO think having the guitar that high looks stupid. It's the same way men have been conditioned to find certain women attractive, in the past the "ideal woman" was fat, pale with small breasts... Not most people's ideal today. It's very hard to break away from media stereotypes and the people you're going to be entertaining most probably haven't broken away from them.

Oh alright, it seemed far more likely that you just picked that username due to being a Bodom fan so I just assumed heh.

I understand what you're saying, and you certainly have a point. However, I firmly believe that if you go out there not letting your ''not-low-guitar-strap'' bother you, it probably won't bother the audience either. Let them know you kick ass and it will be known. And wearing your guitar low won't necessarily make you play ''worse,'' however it definitely limits your ability. It really depends on the kind of stuff you're playing. Playing punk or any metal where you are not using stretches or deviating from the ''typical'' licks doesn't require a whole lot of preparatory thumb-positioning.

Secondly though, there are health issues at stake. Be careful not to hang it too low or you will damage your tendons from all the bent strain in your wrists.

Pretty noticeable change honestly. While I think he partly is just not as clean of a player as he used to be regardless of strap positioning, my feeling is that he would play a bit better live if he raised his strap.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Oh alright, it seemed far more likely that you just picked that username due to being a Bodom fan so I just assumed heh.

I understand what you're saying, and you certainly have a point. However, I firmly believe that if you go out there not letting your ''not-low-guitar-strap'' bother you, it probably won't bother the audience either. Let them know you kick ass and it will be known. And wearing your guitar low won't necessarily make you play ''worse,'' however it definitely limits your ability. It really depends on the kind of stuff you're playing. Playing punk or any metal where you are not using stretches or deviating from the ''typical'' licks doesn't require a whole lot of preparatory thumb-positioning.

Secondly though, there are health issues at stake. Be careful not to hang it too low or you will damage your tendons from all the bent strain in your wrists.

Pretty noticeable change honestly. While I think he partly is just not as clean of a player as he used to be regardless of strap positioning, my feeling is that he would play a bit better live if he raised his strap.

Wow, that is quite a difference, I didn't notice it being THAT low when I saw him. But then again, the second pic isn't that recent (he's missing half a sleeve) so maybe he's moved it up more since. I have my guitar about half way between those two positions and I find it comfortable. I can play anything I can play sitting down standing up and I've been told I look good with a guitar so I'm happy.
I've got no dodgey angles with my wrist atm either, it's just right for me, though admittedly my left hand does need a bit of work... Some dodgey thumb stuff going on and my middle finger's not quite as in control as it should be when doing descending licks (weird because it's usually the pinky that people work on).

As for the bothering the audience bit, I think this is just something we're going to disagree on. Personally I find it very offputting to see a guitarist with their guitar too high up and I know a few of my friends do too.