I'm going to try out amps regardless but I was just interested in some opinions and suggestions. I play a range of Hendrix to RHCP to Carlos Santana (smooth overdrive) and all the way to some heavier gain stuff like rise against and rage against the machine and some even heavier stuff. basically im looking for a creamy lead overdrive to a real heavy gain. only thing is i hate overdrive and distortion pedals, i never got into figuring out all the settings and different setups, to me its an excuse for a bad amp. i need either a combo or half stack, if u suggest a head i need a cab too, my budgets no higher than 2200 u.s. dollars, and used and new doesnt make a difference. I'd be using it to gig. I was thinking about a mesa lonestar, but it didnt seem to get that heavy. then theres the dual rectifier, lotta people say its overrated but i recorded with it so its not that bad. then the splawn quickrod, but availability is hard. and the orange rockerverb 50, but same story as the splawn.
My stuff:

Gibson Sg Standard (2004)
Martin Acoustic OMC-15E
Marshall Mg 250 dfx (disgusting)

New amp search: 2000$
Last edited by MyFood at Oct 10, 2009,
please help
My stuff:

Martin Acoustic OMC-15E

^ What?

2200 what?

Gigging or not?

And, please don't keep bumping your thread, it makes me inclined not to even reply.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Oct 10, 2009,
2200 us dollars and i would be gigging with it. sorry about the bump. this is my first thread on ug.
My stuff:

Martin Acoustic OMC-15E

i think you should try using some pedals.
pedal distortion > amp distortion
I've never liked an amps distortion half as much as even the cheapest of pedals like a DS-1.
Whenever you go to high gain on an amp it sounds like pure ****. Has no crunch, no warmth.
What kind of a tone/voicing do you want? I mean you talked about the heaviness but to me that doesn't really mean shlt pedals can make any amp reasonably heavy. If you like British voicing I'd get an Orange. If you like American and prefer bright I'd get a Fender, if you like American and not so bright, I'd get a Marshal.
VHT Sig X gets my vote. Clean channel, overdrive channel and a high gain channel. 2 grand for the head. Might cut you short on the cab.