hi, i'm finding it difficult to find and decide on a new amp. atm i've got a ****ty Marshall MG30 (the old one ) and i have over £2000 of guitars playing through it so i deffo need something better. i play a lot of different styles of music, from really brutal stuff like Morbid Angel to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Essentially i need something that does crushing metal and leads primarily, but that has a decent clean channel. the cleans dont have to be perfect, just good. price wise (this is my main problem) i've got a maximum of £500 which isn't a lot i know. any help is greatly apprciated, thanks in advance.

also i want a combo. i dont have enuf space for a stack, my MG is pushing the milits of space as it is.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Oct 10, 2009,
Vypyr Tube
Spider Valve Mk.2
Randall MTS Series
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by sk8board3r
A used peavey 5150?

no, i don't want to buy used. sorry for not mentioning that
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
no, i don't want to buy used. sorry for not mentioning that

Uhh, why not?
just give me a fender and let me rip
i'd rather have something new, i know you can get great finds in the used market but i would just prefer not to buy used.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
i'd rather have something new, i know you can get great finds in the used market but i would just prefer not to buy used.

Fair enough, but i think that is retarded. You can find some awsome things used.
i terms of peavy though what about a valveking?? does it have a decent clean tone?? from what i've heard it has a very good gain channel
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
i terms of peavy though what about a valveking?? does it have a decent clean tone?? from what i've heard it has a very good gain channel

I would say find a triple x combo over a valveking,
but again, idk how much they are new.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
What about a Classic 30 with a boost for the heavier stuff?

classic 30?? who makes that?? sorry if thats a bit of a stupid question, i know pretty much everything about guitars but nothing about amps
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
What about a Classic 30 with a boost for the heavier stuff?

for morbid angel?
feel free to add me
so are peavys the way to go then?? what about Bugera?? i've heard good things about them
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
so are peavys the way to go then?? what about Bugera?? i've heard good things about them

well, a peavey 5150 is probably the best way to go,
but SOMEBODY has a problem buying used
Quote by sk8board3r
well, a peavey 5150 is probably the best way to go,
but SOMEBODY has a problem buying used

if he doesnt want to go used dont force him to.

TS, the Bugeras are peavey clones BUT they have god awful quality control.

WTFdit:
BTW the 5150 is NOT a great choice for Vai and Satriani stuff
feel free to add me
yeah i do, i dont have clue about amps so i wouldn't know a good one if i saw it. i'd rather have a brand new amp that has its guarantee if something does go wrong.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

if he doesnt want to go used dont force him to.

TS, the Bugeras are peavey clones BUT they have god awful quality control.

WTFdit:
BTW the 5150 is NOT a great choice for Vai and Satriani stuff

Im just giving him a hard time

Also, its a much better choice then the amps that have been recommended so far..
Quote by shredftw
yeah i do, i dont have clue about amps so i wouldn't know a good one if i saw it. i'd rather have a brand new amp that has its guarantee if something does go wrong.

Shoot man, I understand your dilemma. But 500 pounds isnt going to fetch the same sweetness that it will on the used market. A lot of amps are built like tanks, and last more than 40 years in a lot of situations. Amps are like cars, they lose tremendouns value after thier bought brand new. But hey, if you dont want used, I understand. Your just not going to get a 5150, a Marshall JCM, and many others. Because they dont make them anymore. Sure, the 6505 is the exact same thing as a 5150, dont get me wrong. But its not really the same, at least aesthiticly.

I would suggest a Peavey Vyper, and a Spider Valve. There relativly cheap, and the model, based on the wide range of tones you want, a specialty amp like my 5150 isnt going to reach across multi genres that well.

I hope that you find the REAL value in buying used. I know that warranty issues are paramount to many of us, but a good amp tech and a few bucks make all the difference. Imagine your luck if you patrol a Classifieied ad and found a vintage Les Paul for a great discount, but its used, no warranty. Amps are the same way, it all comes with a certian risk.

Check out a Spider Valve, I doubt that you will be majorly dissapointed.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Check out a Spider Valve, I doubt that you will be majorly dissapointed.

i already have checked it out, and i'm not that keen on it. it has the versatility that i want but is it the best i can get for the money??

also thanks for the advice on the used market, i know its a risk and i did actually buy my les paul second hand but as i said i know my guitars, amps are a whole different thing to me so i would feel very uncertain about buying an amp second hand
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Well to be honest, in my opinion, since you aren't considering buying used, your best bet it to keep saving up for a better amp. Your not going to get a great amp for that price without going used. Sure it will be better then what you currently have, but it won't help in the long run. Eventually you'll just be doing the same thing your doing now, wanting to buy an ever better amp.

At least that's what I would do in your situation.
Quote by shredftw
i already have checked it out, and i'm not that keen on it. it has the versatility that i want but is it the best i can get for the money??

also thanks for the advice on the used market, i know its a risk and i did actually buy my les paul second hand but as i said i know my guitars, amps are a whole different thing to me so i would feel very uncertain about buying an amp second hand

I think that based on the criteria you gave, your budget and the need for a new, off the line amp, that the Spider Valve series is the best bet. The HD 100 All Tube head is only 400 dollars at ZZ sounds, youe should be able to afford a Cab with the leftovers. A Fender FM 4X12 is a good bet. Theyre loaded with 4 Eminence speakers, and have a great bottom end tone.

But save up if you want something better. Check your classifieds, with 500 pounds you may just find a deal thats too good to pass up. What will you do when someone is selling a Triple rec for that kind of money?

I know what I would do. Goodluck and Godspeed.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204