Now, anyone that knows me would know I love Muse and Matt's singing, but why is he considered a Tenor? His range is the A below middle C to the A# above middle C, which is A2 - A#4. To me, that looks more similar to a baritone range than a Tenor range but I don't know much about voice quality and range vs timber and I may be wrong.

Tenor - C3 - C5 or so-- nobody's perfect
Matt - A2 to A#4.
Baritone - G2 - G5 or so-- still, nobody's perfect

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Last edited by WyvernOmega at Oct 10, 2009,
he is a baritone
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
It's based on what he sings in, not necessarily what his range is.

I would like to know who classified him as a tenor. Baritone's kind of a really general phrase, it means lower than a tenor but not a bass.
kinda weird

kthanksbye
James

My Gear
schecter elite 5 hny sat
Kustom 30 WATT kba30
SWR vintage workingman combo 500/1500
Yamaha Extension 500w Speaker
SWR Workingman Extension 500w Speaker
I attend a music school and sing in their mens choir. Believe me when I say that Baritones and Tenor IIs are constantly switching. Semester to semester they'll switch their parts, and the choral director will switch baritones to tenor IIs if he feels the tenors are weak on a certain song. I know a lot of kids who are classified as Baritones who are singing as Tenor IIs.

Also, let's not forget timbre. For instance, my range could be Baritone if need be. I sing Bass II, but my range is an Eb (half step above low D) to a G#. G# is more than adequate to sing Baritone, but I still get assigned to bass. The fact of the matter is that my voice is low. I have a bass timbre, especially for orchestral-style singing. If you wanted me to sing a poppier song (like a Muse song), I could bump up to my high range and, although not sounding completely tenorish, pull off a decently radio-friendly high voice timbre. I'm guessing Bellamy can do the same. It's not really his range, as much as how well he can apply his voice to the music.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
A2-A4# is actually a standard pop-tenor range. I guess, technically, that makes him a FORM of tenor, but not a true tenor.
I would say because his tone, not only his range, falls under the tenor classification. I'm not sure, though. And yeah, he's definitely not a true tenor, not being able to reach the high C (C5) and all.
Last edited by Ceresz at Oct 10, 2009,
So he would be a higher baritone / pop tenor?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Hes a baritone, but almost always sings in his head voice and falsetto.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Really? If he were a baritone I would think that he would be able to go a bit lower than A2, but whatever. I'm not entirely sure myself, and I don't try to get too caught up in classifications of the voice. Not anymore at least .
Quote by Ceresz
Really? If he were a baritone I would think that he would be able to go a bit lower than A2, but whatever. I'm not entirely sure myself, and I don't try to get too caught up in classifications of the voice. Not anymore at least .

I think you're confused about the purpose of classifications in singing, in much the same way most people are with music theory. The whole purpose is not to tell you what you can do, it's to explain what you're already doing. Classifications like tenor, baritone, alto or whatever, are just you can quickly and easily express to someone else what your general range is.

Can you imagine trying to place everyone in a choir by asking each individual what their exact range is, would be very time consuming and annoying. It's so much easier to say, tenors here sing this part, baritones here sing this part, basses here sing this part. If you can cover a range that crosses between baritone and tenor, pick whichever one is more comfortable for you to sing in or whichever one you prefer singing (as long as you can do it well )
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Hehe, yeah I guess your right ;P. My range is pretty much C2-G4, so I can cover baritone, but the most comfortable range for me lies more toward bass-baritone.
Bellamy's a low tenor, like most singers in that whole alternative rock genre.

I'm sure he can sing a bit lower than that low A, he actually talks at pitches a lot lower. I remember looking at his speaking voice through a spectogram when I was really bored one day and he reached the low F# a few times. His most powerful notes still fit a low-mid tenor though, around the high G and A.

edit: oh and the reason he wouldn't be a baritone is because of how weak his low notes are. a baritone would be able to project that low A, Matt almost has to sing it in a whisper.
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Oct 11, 2009,
I believe he is a tenor. Listen to Knights of Cydonia, and you can hear him use his head voice instead of falsetto at a certain part of it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Lots of good suggestions. I concur with the 'pop tenor' classification, though given the described range, I would say most correct would be baritone. I've also heard 'lyric baritone' or 'choral tenor' applied to this range. In fact, his range is about identical to mine.

Now, here is where it gets funny.... take ten male singers. Not just ten males, but ten male singers. Eight of them will be baritones of varying colour, one will be a bass, and one will be a tenor.

Now, take those ten male singers and throw them in a choir.... problem = there are typically only tenor and bass parts written, as most choral music is written for SATB. Now, you've got five of them taking tenor parts and five taking bass parts. Tenor 2 parts would, effectively be for those baritones who top out around the G-A range. You're essentially taking baritone singers and forcing them into ranges not perfectly suited for most of them.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.