Page 1 of 2
Lets hear those stories that are a testament to what are in my opinion the world's most durable instruments! I'll start.

Wednesday night at band practice, I leaned my Squier up against my Blackheart. I turn around to talk to someone and see their face go . So, of course I turn around just in time to see my beloved Strat slam against the concrete floor headstock first. Everyone's freaking out and I just pick it up and strum a chord....wasn't even out of tune Had that been...say, an Epiphone Les Paul, I would be in the market for a replacement guitar right now.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Had that been...say, an Epiphone Les Paul, I would be in the market for a replacement guitar right now.

that's a flaw in the les paul design, not the fender/squier being better than average.

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfmdjmyaDo
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 10, 2009,
^That is a testament to how well the FR keeps strings locked.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
one of my Squiers has been thrown down the stairs multiple times, been used as a weapon against my ex-drummer and is perfectly fine
With a locking nut what dimebag did is possible with anything.

Honestly, who would feel comfortable abusing their favorite guitar like THIS with anything but a Strat? (again, this is all my opinion)
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I dunno, most of my other guitars feel sturdier than my Strats.
Quote by Natrone

Honestly, who would feel comfortable abusing their favorite guitar like THIS with anything but a Strat? (again, this is all my opinion)

what? abusing the trem and knocking the neck a bit?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Natrone, I think your Fender/Strat faboyism is a bit too much.
I do whammy abuse all the time on my Washburn Idol shape (LP-spape), and I always do neck bends (For natural harmonics). Nothing bad happens at all. :/
Strat's have always felt cheap to me, and they get dented so easy (from my experience). My Washburn doesn't have any dents.
There was a story I read about Leo Fender getting 2 chairs and putting the telecaster on top with the chair's spread apart and he stood onto the guitar to show how strong the new version of the neck was to some people.
Quote by Natrone

The headstock was off!
The strings were still in tune.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
The headstock was off!
The strings were still in tune.

floyd rose locks the strings in place
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I know that...
THat's why I said it was a testament too how well the FR locking nut works.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I know that...
THat's why I said it was a testament too how well the FR locking nut works.

next time I'll read the _whole_ thread instead of just the last few posts
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by Baby Joel
Natrone, I think your Fender/Strat faboyism is a bit too much.

Pssshhh......I'm not a fanboy

Alright, you're right, it is. I'm ashamed
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I dropped my ibanez down some stairs. Granted, it was in a gigbag, and it slid, rather than rolled, but it was fine and still in tune (that's weird, because it doesn't hold tuning well when I play it).

Where does fender come into this? My guitar rips off the Strat in many ways.
strap broke and my strat fell on the basement floor. chipped the floor...
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
There was a story I read about Leo Fender getting 2 chairs and putting the telecaster on top with the chair's spread apart and he stood onto the guitar to show how strong the new version of the neck was to some people.

a friend of mine said steve vai often stands ON his guitars at live shows during a song. and people say tilted headstocks are weak i mean... they are more vulnerable than a strait headstock, thats a fact. but standing on it?! wow
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yeah, my guitars that have been strat like have been virtually impervious to anything short of being run over by a car.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
My friend had a squier strat and we thought it would be cool to break it on the street. It took three guys slamming it against the ground, us three using it as a skateboard down a hill, and a hammer before it broke. Haha. I kept a wood shard for the memories.
Quote by nickdohle
My friend had a squier strat and we thought it would be cool to break it on the street. It took three guys slamming it against the ground, us three using it as a skateboard down a hill, and a hammer before it broke. Haha. I kept a wood shard for the memories.

I am guessing you are a idol at elementary school
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
a friend of mine said steve vai often stands ON his guitars at live shows during a song. and people say tilted headstocks are weak i mean... they are more vulnerable than a strait headstock, thats a fact. but standing on it?! wow

one piece tilted headstocks yep, scarf jointed tilted head stock no.

Quote by element4433
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqf9AcEpJUw

It's almost enough to make you feel bad for the monitor.

“I discovered Fender Stratocaster guitars are very strong and cheap out in the States. Once I chopped a Vox Super Beatle amplifier in half with one. They’re made out of chipboard, little bits of wood that they glue together, and I chopped right through the whole thing. It was a 4 x 12 cabinet, and it fell into two bits. I picked up the Stratocaster and carried on playing … and it was still perfectly in tune!” ~ Pete again, reminiscing about the Murray The K shows.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
^Yep, strats>Speaker cabs.

The way they're made has a lot to do with it. a simple neck joint of 4 steel wood screws, a headstock that isn't angled back, and a basic slab body is why I think they're so unbelievably durable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yup, strats are much tougher guitars than Les Pauls and ESP, and pertty much any other brand out there. Alder is a hard freaken wood, maghony is not a hard wood.

But to contribute to the story, I used my squier to beat down this stupid moron down that kept touching my guitar, it was still basicaly in tune.

But that video of SRV abusing and kicking around his guitar on the ground, I just said WTF, thats a tough guitar to take that for 20+ years.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yup, strats are much tougher guitars than Les Pauls, and pretty much any other guitar out there. Alder is a freaking hard wood, mahogany is not a hard wood.

Well, tele's measure up to strats... if anything, they're tougher.
Mahogany is ridiculously durable. Ever wonder why boats were made out of mahogany? That being said, alder's quite durable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Lol my squier has been abused more then...I'll leave potentially hurtful comment to your imagination, and it still works perfectly. Hell i'm modding it as we speak. Its been dropped down from the second floor of my house to the main and it not even a scratch lol. Gotta love the strat :P
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, tele's measure up to strats... if anything, they're tougher.
Mahogany is ridiculously durable. Ever wonder why boats were made out of mahogany? That being said, alder's quite durable.

I agree with the tele, my friend threw one about 6 feet in the air, and it only had a scratch in the body. Oh and you have to come back to harmony central.
I have a Squier P bass. Ive dropped it on concrete about 7 or 8 times, it fell over in my room, been dropped on an amp. There is paint missing the bass itself is completely intact and has a lot of character now
Quote by oneblackened
The way they're made has a lot to do with it. a simple neck joint of 4 steel wood screws, a headstock that isn't angled back, and a basic slab body is why I think they're so unbelievably durable.

The thing that shocks me is that its almost impossible to mess up the necks. Of course, like you said, thats partially because of the straight headstock, but another part of it comes from them being made of solid slabs of maple. There are very few tonewoods harder than maple
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

from about 5:40 but just watch it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_YcU0XXUo
Quote by Lemoninfluence
one piece tilted headstocks yep, scarf jointed tilted head stock no.

Vai's guitars have scarf-jointed headstocks

EDIT: although in the video, he doesn't actually stand on it. He has one foot on the neck, and he's probably not pushing very hard.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by sashki
Vai's guitars have scarf-jointed headstocks

EDIT: although in the video, he doesn't actually stand on it. He has one foot on the neck, and he's probably not pushing very hard.

agreed i was about 3 rows back to his left and if you look very closely there`s a small metal plate on the sole of his boot (probably to replicate a slide)
+1 on the Floyd thing here, my old catankerous Kramer Focus 3000 broke it's headstock in my 10th grade english class, I still played on that guitar the rest of the day with the tip of the headstock and the high E-string tuner flopping around.

Aside from that, that Kramer was a literal piece of ****. The pivot screw for the floyd rose caved into the bridge pickup cavity, now it's held in by the rear panel off a computer bent into shape as a support. The electronics crapped out a bunch in 5 years, and the neck shifts just enough to be a problem if you look at it wrong, and I literally BABIED that guitar...up until the point where I rebuilt it, then it actually became rather reliable.

My next set, my main four, are another story...and the common thread - they are ALL Fender designs.

My #1 Baby is the Jag-Stang I've had for 10 years. That guitar has been dropped, had heavy stuff land on it, stabbed a few speakers, and won a fight with a brand new Jackson Rhoads vee in the back of a car (Jag-Stang Basswood body vs Jackson headstock - Jag-Stang 1, Jackson 0). That guitar has been used HARD, I abuse the whammy bar on it like an 80's hair metal guy (which is the stock Mustang whammy system, no modifications to the string path whatsoever)....through that all, that guitar still kicks ass and stays in tune till this day. If that's not durable, I dunno what is.

Since then, I've bought a few Jaguars, a Mustang, built a Jazzmaster using (mostly) licenced parts, and have quite a few squiers, including a Jagmaster that put a hole in a wall.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
guitars are pretty strong provided there's no inherent design flaw - wood is pretty tough, that's how trees survive for so long. it's not just fenders that can take such abuse, sometime in the 80s my dad's rickenbacker 4001 bass had a marshall JCM800 stack fall on it (complete with a breeze block at the bottom to try to STOP the bloody cab from falling over!) and that bass is still going strong today.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Dawnwalker

That's the very video that I was going to post! Teles are even stronger than Strats. Never had a problem with my Tele.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
my friend accidentally ran over his telecaster with a pick up truck. The guitar went out of tune and that's it, pretty amazing stuff huh?
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
my friend accidentally ran over his telecaster with a pick up truck. The guitar went out of tune and that's it, pretty amazing stuff huh?

I call shennanigans. Pics/videos or it didn't happen.
Page 1 of 2