I've looked at some tutorials and **** and am considering doing it. But before I do, I just wanted to ask here how difficult people think it is. So on a scale of 1-10, 1 being too easy, how hard was it for you to mod a Boss pedal? And also, is it pretty easy to ruin the pedal if you make a mistake?
which pedal are we talking about?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Well I'd probably start with my DS-1 since it's the cheapest and most simple. But I figure it's all fairly similar. Compact pedals, nothing fancy. If that worked I'd probably continue to mod more and more, next being an OD (which I'd have to purchase so not sure which one yet) then maybe a chorus.
Monte Allums has a bunch of good kits for modding boss pedals, give them a look.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
k thanks for the input. do you think someone with little experience in electrical **** (i learned a bit about that stuff in a physics class but it's been awhile) could do a mod without ruining the pedal? I also have very little experience saudering which is probably the part that most concerns me.
yeah, the ds-1 is an easy mod, its hard to screw it up, and its even harder to make it worse than it is. play around with resistor and capacitor values, find something that you like.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
im a beginner builder. i just built my first little SS amp for fun. it wasnt hard. just remember to look up SOLDERING TUTORIALS and know how to read the polarities of your components, AND check everything time and time again before doing anything major. other than that, you will most definitely learn a lot of things and have a lot of fun. good luck !
You could put a true bypass on it which could be a good start. Delay pedals are one of the hardest to mod. Overdrives and fuzz are probably the easiest.
if you dont know what you are doing and dont take your time, it is really easy to screw things up. if you do know what you are doing and dont take your time, you can mess things up.

so basicly, even if you are a beginner you probably wont screw things beyond repair if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. something like the DS-1 has lots of step-by-step instructions online, so you are right to start with that. well, almost. do some soldering practice first, and make sure you include de-soldering practice. the easiest way to mess up is to be heavy handed with your soldering iron. you can burn components and lift traces. if you practice a bit first though to get a feel for it, you shouldnt have that problem

now, not all boss pedals are easy to mod like the DS-1. they have pedals nowadays that are mostly digital. that means they wont be moddable for the most part. overdrives, distortions, and a few of their other pedals will be nice and moddable though.