Okay, so i'm having a lot of trouble producing a good ska tone with a made-for-metal guitar and a modeling amp. I was hoping you guys had any suggestions for me and my ESP Ltd. EC-1000 and Spider III. Tips for both clean and distorted would be much appreciated. Think Suicide Machines, Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc.. Thanks guys!
Quote by A-440
Okay, so i'm having a lot of trouble producing a good ska tone with a made-for-metal guitar and a modeling amp. I was hoping you guys had any suggestions for me and my ESP Ltd. EC-1000 and Spider III. Tips for both clean and distorted would be much appreciated. Think Suicide Machines, Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc.. Thanks guys!

Well theres your problem, partner. I reckon you need a new setup.
Quote by Tedward
Well theres your problem, partner. I reckon you need a new setup.

lol i realize this, but i don't necessarily have the cashflow for that. does anyone have tips so i can make do with what i have?
Quote by A-440
lol i realize this, but i don't necessarily have the cashflow for that. does anyone have tips so i can make do with what i have?

I've messed with my Spider for hours, and I got nothing good. I really don't get why people make threads asking how to get good tones with practice amps.
well youve got about $1000 worth of gear. So sell your stuff and buy a Fender or a semi-hollow, (Schecter Ultra-3s are cool too) and a mini-tube stack or something.
Last edited by Tedward at Oct 10, 2009,
I'm still amazed that there are people who have a fairly high end guitar like the EC1000 and still play it trough a Spider
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
You need to experiment with the settings on your amp. You can get a lot of different sounds and tone out of a Line 6. Every time you change the models on your amp you have to turn down the other setting and readjust them. Never use the presets A,B,C,D on your Spider. I can't find my instruction booklet right now but you can turn the presets off and on. My Spider II might be set up a little different than you III. If you do not have your manual you can download it off their site under support.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/

I wish I could be more help but I never really was much into SKA I go for a metal sound with my amp and always distorted I rarely use the clean setting.

John
Mess around with the volume on your guitar, put it lower and the sound will be a lot different!
Its gonna be tough with the EMGs on that guitar.

You want very little gain though, try to find the "cleanest" distorted channel you can, and switch to the 60, because the 81 isnt going to sound that great.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Use the neck pickup, set the pickup volume low, use a fairly clean amp setting.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
kill your mids, put the bass high and the trele at about 6. switch to your middle pickup setting. That's the best you'll get, that's what I did with my 5150 and Ibanez S before I traded it for a strat.
Dickless.
Much appreciated, thanks! I know the spider III is a "practice amp", but i got this gear when i knew little about anything, and now that money's tight, i'm kinda stuck with it. I know tomas kalnoky uses a gibson es 335, do you think the epiphone version would have comparable sound?
Quote by A-440
Much appreciated, thanks! I know the spider III is a "practice amp", but i got this gear when i knew little about anything, and now that money's tight, i'm kinda stuck with it. I know tomas kalnoky uses a gibson es 335, do you think the epiphone version would have comparable sound?

Ive never read anything bad about the Epi semihollows. Just try out the one you want before you buy it, Gibson/Epiphone have spotty QC from what I hear, some are great instruments, others, not so much.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by slickerthnsleek
ESP =/= LTD as far as I'm concerned.

wow you're sooooo cool thanks for letting us all know

The epiphone shouldn't be too far off from the Gibson. Changing the pickups to the same ones that guy actually uses, would make it basically the exact same.
thanks for the tips. you guys make me kinda almost like UG again. R.I.P., thread. you will be missed.
Quote by A-440

**** Tomas Kalnoky. He has no idea of what ska tone is, if you want a full sound like ska is supposed to have get yourself a Les Paul or something similar. Hollowbodies are too twangy and thin for ska.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
**** Tomas Kalnoky. He has no idea of what ska tone is, if you want a full sound like ska is supposed to have get yourself a Les Paul or something similar. Hollowbodies are too twangy and thin for ska.

Hahaha way to be, Andy. Last time I checked, nobody ever really gave a crap about having a good ska tone. There was one time I spoke with Scott from RBF about his gear, and even though he's a gear head he admitted it's not a particularly special sound. Also, I've never heard a twangy hollowbody. Ever. I've owned a few, and they were ALL too warm for my tastes. You remember my Artcore, and you've played the Airline. They're mad warm.

Regardless, if you're trying to emulate Tom's sound (admittedly not the best sound, but it works) then get an Ibanez Artcore, Tom uses an AS73 as his backup, and it was his primary guitar after the first robbery. He uses a mesa dual rec, but for clean tones, that doesn't matter. Just use your clean amp setting, and roll back on guitar volume. I think bridge is better than neck, you lose too much treble on the neck (unless EMGs are different).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite