OK im looking to upgrade my fender stratacoustic pretty soon. I've been looking at the martin D-15 solid mahogany dreadnought which is about £850 (not sure how that translates to dollars these days). I've heard pretty good things about this guitar although i've yet to try one out. The specs can be found here:

gak.co.uk/D-15

Im just wandering what other guitars i should consider within this price range. Nowadays i play a bit everything, but i'm particularly interested in developing my fingerpicking skilz. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers, Tom
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
have you actually played an all-mahogany dread and found you are looking for that particular sound?
I don't know how common these are in the UK, but for that price range, take a look at the Breedlove guitars. They sound and play great.
I havnt actually played a mahogany dread before, but a lot of the music im listening too right now is played on one and i like the tone As for the breedlove guitars, i havnt seen them around online or in the shops but i'll keep my eyes open!
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
before you go further, i suggest you play some mahogany dreads and some non mahogany topped guitars along side them at the same day and near the same time. if you like what you hear in person - which isn't going to sound the same as stuff that's professionally recorded and mixed - a martin D-15 is a very good upgrade from a fender anything.

Quote by randomtom
I havnt actually played a mahogany dread before, but a lot of the music im listening too right now is played on one and i like the tone As for the breedlove guitars, i havnt seen them around online or in the shops but i'll keep my eyes open!
yeah i will of course be comparing before i buy anything! its just ive heard mahogany dreads being used for live stuff by different artists and i was in awe. Also i personally think the wood looks so much better than spruce equivalents but thats just my opinion and at the end of the day looks arent everything!