I am currently in a Hard Rock outfit. I love it, but my other musical passion has always been Blues Rock. I want to make a Blues rock power trio as well, thought without causing trouble. I don't plan on any of my current bandmates being in it, but I feel I oughta tell 'em. What do I do?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
It depends alot. If you can time both and timings won't cross each other, then it wont effect. It also requires from you alot time.
Most professional musicians are in more than one band. It is only not recommended if you personally can't fit the time in for both. This is rarely the case.

However if you have immature band members they can take it personally, for reasons unknown. Forget about them and do what you want.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Like everyone's been saying - can you? Lots of people can, it's a question of time management and you can easily tell if you're doing it or not - simply compare your commitment to your band before & after.

It's affecting, not effecting - one thing affects another if it changes it, one thing effects another if it causes it (effecting your current band would be causing it to come into existence, affecting your current band would be changing it in some way).

Slacker's back
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
If your a song-writer, than i generally think of it as a bad idea unless you often find yourself only writing two genres of songs (or in other words, songs that won't suit your main band) because you'll end up having to choose between what songs to give to what band. If that's the case, it's unfair to whoever isn't getting the songs. Also, simply adding these "other" songs to your main band's list creates some fresh air and might pay off.

But most importantly, it's up to you.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
If that's the case, it's unfair to whoever isn't getting the songs.

If you wrote the songs, you can do whatever you want with them. There's no unfairness involved - they're yours.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you wrote the songs, you can do whatever you want with them. There's no unfairness involved - they're yours.

Maybe so, but if your actually friends with the people in your band, than *for me* it is.
yes but your band will be pissed if you dont tell them, theyll prob think your gonna leave them
just tell them and manage your time and youll be fine.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
Maybe so, but if your actually friends with the people in your band, than *for me* it is.

I'm friends with my bandmates, but they're friendships which develop through being in the bands. I don't hang out with them outside. It's more a business relationship, and the best way to deal with things.

If I wrote a song and someone was pissed off that I didn't share it with them, that would just be them being selfish - they have no entitlement to my songs whatsoever.
Soundcloud
It depends. I would say that a lot of the time, in my experience, when someone does something like this, they are just using their first band until their other project gets far enough off the ground that they can leave. Try to avoid your bandmates thinking this.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm friends with my bandmates, but they're friendships which develop through being in the bands. I don't hang out with them outside. It's more a business relationship, and the best way to deal with things.

If I wrote a song and someone was pissed off that I didn't share it with them, that would just be them being selfish - they have no entitlement to my songs whatsoever.

And your entitled to feel that way, but for me, i'd feel like i wasn't doing what my role in the band was. But that's just me. Neither way is right or wrong, just a good example of the way human brains think differently.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
And your entitled to feel that way, but for me, i'd feel like i wasn't doing what my role in the band was. But that's just me. Neither way is right or wrong, just a good example of the way human brains think differently.

I agree that neither way is right or wrong, but I don't think it's about how the human brain functions. It is an interesting topic to debate though.

As you go through many bands you end up writing many songs (if you're a songwriter). Some songs stay with you as you progress through the bands and the songs take on different forms with different people. I personally have one or two songs which have been played by 4-5 different bands as the years go on. Nobody thinks that I'm stealing a song, or that they're receiving a second hand one, it's just one of my songs and people enjoy playing them.

And then there's situations where you're in multiple bands of different genres. For me I'll usually be in a pop band playing electric guitar and an acoustic band. Some songs I write are intended to be played as an acoustic piece so I'll share it with the acoustic band, but not the other band, and vica versa.

Of course a situation could be created where you focus more time writing for one band than the other, and in cases where you are the primary songwriter, this can lead to problems. This is why proper time management is required when part of more than one band.
Soundcloud
i have both an electric jam band and a bluegrass band and it works fine. my advice, set one aside as strictly a side project and always let the other take precedence and make it clear to both bands that that's the situation.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G