Page 1 of 2
I've talked to some people recently who have valued the importance of listening to an entire album instead of just certain singles or well known songs by bands. Basically, songs you know that are good but always so much better when you listen to them as part of the whole album. For instance, listening to any one song off Colors by Between the Buried and Me, or one song of Catch 33 by Meshuggah just wouldn't compare to hashing the whole thing out. Or even more subtle example such as Blowers Daughter into the track Cannonball on O by Damien Rice.

What songs do you think sound much better as part of the album, or even songs that just don't make sense at all without listening to the whole album as a single entity?
I realized that exact thing about BSSM the other day (I do like each song individually, but the whole thing together sounds great), although that genre is completely different to the one you were talking about.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.

Personal preference?
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Whenever I listen to The Strokes or Nirvana I listen to the whole album just because.
Crack the skye and Kezia all the way through I guess.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by Karvid
I realized that exact thing about BSSM the other day (I do like each song individually, but the whole thing together sounds great), although that genre is completely different to the one you were talking about.
I wasn't just saying Metal albums. I think Power of Equality into If You Have To Ask on BSSM has a great flow to it.
I listen to all of my albums as a whole, but it is kinda nice to put the ipod on shuffle once in awhile.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Mr. Slave
Whenever I listen to The Strokes or Nirvana I listen to the whole album just because.

This.

I dont listen to them as much lately, but anytime I put on a Nirvana song I just start with Teen spirit and usually play it through the entire album, or play In Utero entirely.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by hugh20
Crack the skye and Kezia all the way through I guess.

I'm listening to this right now and I agree

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
Concept albums must be listened all the way through.

"Dissolving Bonds" is a must-listen Katatonia song, which should've been on "The Great Cold Distance", but it's just a B-Side on a single.
As long as you you're listening to a CD that was made with intentions of a real CD, and not just a single with 8 other "filler" songs, the entire album will always be a more rewarding experience.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I've listened to every album I own the entire way through... I've probably listened to OK Computer 3-4 times, Loveless twice, Doolittle 3 times, Hail to the Thief twice, etc.

There is something about listening to an album as a collective work rather than just the singles. I guess I think about each album I buy as a classic (whether it is or isn't), so I look for all the memorable moments and unique things I can say about it.
I always listen to an album straight through at least once, I feel its the way the artist wanted it to be heard.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Pretty much any Floyd or Dream Theater album has to be listened through in completion for me. That and ANY post rock album, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Sigur Ros, any of it.
Eruption by Van Halen is just sooooo much better when listened to in the album as a whole
The Somberlain, by Dissection, AMAZING Album all the way through. Can't listen to the songs separate though.
I only listen to albums unless im trying to get the song out of my head. But most of my music is live recordings, so yeah....
It depends on who the artist is and when the album was made (generalisation)

e.g listen to The Wall in it's entire body

Even if songs arent connected in anyway it usually reflects the Bands progression if you take into account whole albums rather than songs...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Blood Mountain by Mastodon has to be listened whole, since it is a concept/story album.
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Who - Tommy
Michael Jackson - Thriller

Concept albums usually sound better as a whole obviously.
Last edited by sly fly at Oct 10, 2009,
Every song on TiA by Cynic is great on its own (not so much Nunc Fluens, as for the majority of it it is ambient guitar noise) but they all just come together so well as a whole.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Duffman123
What is a concept album?

I have a fair idea, but I'm not 100%

When there's an overarching theme for the whole album; all the songs are connected by either telling a story or portraying a similar idea.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Mr. Slave

Me too!

Also, I like to listen to whole albums so I can get a feel for the music. What would the point be of having an album if you're only going to listen to 3 songs off of it?
Depends what I'm in the mood for.

A good, consistent album is definitely worth listening to all the way through though. They tend to have a certain flow to them and it's a different experience.
some songs I can listen to on their own.. others sound a hell of a lot better together in the context of the album
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Turkeyburger
Me too!

Also, I like to listen to whole albums so I can get a feel for the music. What would the point be of having an album if you're only going to listen to 3 songs off of it?

It always annoys me when I'm listening to music with friends and they skip songs on the album and say, "I don't like those songs".
I've used shuffle twice. I didn't like it.

People who don't listen to albums as a whole tend to have bad taste in music anyways.

/sweeping generalisation
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I was going to say Colors and you just did it in the first post +1, although sometimes i just listen to viridian...
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I almostnever go into my library nd listen to single songs. Always full albums at a time.
I'm a lover of the whole album, but of course there are individual songs that I like so much that I want to listen to them on their own.

This party I was at a few months back... this girl I know's iPod was plugged into stereo playing music. She's an artsy person and self-proclaimed music fan. Anyway, I picked up the ipod to scroll through the music, and there were hundreds of artists, but only one song under literally each of them. I wanted to challenge the girl about that.
MATTERHORN
As a person who usually listens to full albums, I think shuffle is great because some songs seem less memorable when played with the rest of the album, or you never tend to listen to them because the album they were on wasn't very strong.
concept albums and Blind Melon
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by pHaKe
As long as you you're listening to a CD that was made with intentions of a real CD, and not just a single with 8 other "filler" songs, the entire album will always be a more rewarding experience.

This. I love listening to albums all the way through that were thought out as an album, and not just random songs thrown together to be sold.

Quote by Mr. Slave
It always annoys me when I'm listening to music with friends and they skip songs on the album and say, "I don't like those songs".

As long as they've listened to them before then its no biggie. The albums that people do that on are typically the ones that are 4 singles and 8 filler songs anyway.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 13, 2009,
Page 1 of 2