What do I need to do for a bassist to write good bass-music for a blues rock power trio. I am forming one with a pair of friends, one of whom is a great bassist. While writing music will be a group affair, we will also write our own stuff too, and I want to give him good stuff.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
You should learn some basic blues progressions such as 12 bar blues if you don't know them already.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Lol that's not my issue at all. I just want to know, from a Bassist's perspective, what makes a piece of music particularly fun to play.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Phantom123
Lol that's not my issue at all. I just want to know, from a Bassist's perspective, what makes a piece of music particularly fun to play.

Hm well in my opinion blues isn't one of the more fun genres for the bass a lot of the time your just backing up the guitarist while he has his fun.

Edit: didn't realise you weren't talking about yourself, still make sure he's comfortable with blues scales and progressions if he's got the basics down he can have more fun making interesting bass lines rather then struggling to keep up.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Last edited by Ripper_66 at Oct 10, 2009,
Alright. I suppose it's worth asking, is there anything I can do to assist him? I am the guitarist, but even so, I'm not one of those who believes in wanking the minor pentatonic while everyone plays two chords under me. Hell, I'm already in a Hard Rock band, so it's not necessary. Guitar is important, especially in Blues Rock, but I feel that in a power-trio format, everything has to shine, so I want to write god bass lines. I'm not settling for just tonic notes and the occasional riff, I want something that, if at any moment I stopped playing and pointed the audience to the bassist, he'd be receiving applause, not people being confused for this :P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
One of the best bass / guitarist blue combos imho is Stevie Ray Vaughn and Tommy Shannon. Shannon's bass lines are creative and not locked in those average 12 bar blues forms. They play well together because they don't over play each other but Stevie always lays back enough to let Tommy's lines come through.