Page 1 of 2
So lets say you buy a decent solid state amp, like a peavey vypyr or something like that. Then in the future, you buy a good tube amp. Then later, you buy an even better amp. How much time do you spend with an amp before buying another? I know it depends on many factors, but just roughly how much time do you spend with an amp before selling it?
I bought my Peavey Vypyr 75 2 months ago, and already Im trying to figure out a way to buy the new 6505+ 1x12.

FML.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
So do you think for someone's first amp it's safest to buy a meh amp and then upgrade to a much better amp, rather than get a decent amp, keep it for a little longer, then upgrade to a much better amp?
Quote by dsan224
So do you think for someone's first amp it's safest to buy a meh amp and then upgrade to a much better amp, rather than get a decent amp, keep it for a little longer, then upgrade to a much better amp?

Thats totally your call. I started with a Roland Cube 15x when I was deciding if I wanted to take guitar playing seriously.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
keep an amp until you are dissatisfied with it/it stops suiting your needs/breaks

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Once you start hating the sound of your current amp, it's time to upgrade.

But always start with a beginner amp, that way you'll appreciate the better amps more. It also takes time for your ear to develop.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
For me, it's been around a year, maybe a bit more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 10, 2009,
only had 2 amps, had my first one (Fender frontman) untill it broke.
Okay, here's the real story:

I've already decided to get a used Ibanez RG120 for $140 at my local music store. For the amp, I'm trying to decide between a Marshall MG10CD and Peavey Vypyr. Now before you run away and throw up from reading "MG", remember since I'm a beginner, I think they both sound good. Experienced guitar players might think that the tone is bad, but I think it's the same as the Vypyr. Except, the Vypyr is $100, and the MG is only $60. I don't need any fancy things like phaser and flanger and reverb and chorus, and those guitar presets and those tone banks are really too much for me. All I need is clean and overdrive, knob for gain and a knob for overall tone.

MG amp has just what I need, simple, cheap, and it doesn't sound too bad. But many users on this site insist that buying an MG amp is like signing your death warrant. Plus, I want to be safe by spending less, because I don't know if I'll really take guitar seriously. So this is why I am not sure on what to buy, I hope you guys can share something that can help.
I had my cheap squier sp-10 practice amp for about 8 months or so, then my Vox AD30VT for about 8 months, then switched to a Peavy Vypyr 15 which i've had for also probably about 8 months and recently i've been wanting to upgrade.

So basically i've been switching every 8 months because i haven't made a serious upgrade to my rig amp-wise.

EDIT: MG's aren't as bad as some people make them out to be, but they won't last you as long when you start developing an ear for tone. I hear the new ones aren't as bad though.
I had a peavey rage 158 for about 6 months, then my dad bought a bass amp for me to play through lol. After that I ended up with a Marshall Valvestate 100 that I loved until it fried on me. Now Ive had a peavey Bandit 112 that I love with my Zoom G2, but Im looking into selling it and some other stuff for a decent tube half stack. It just all depends on what you need and how reliable the amp is.
I say get the vypyr, in all honestly if you continue with guitar you will get into alot of different genres. When I started, all I listened to was thrash metal but now I regularly listen to Django Reinhardt, Rush, and Death. So I say get the most versatile gear you can get because you never know what you really want to listen to
Quote by darkcheef
I say get the vypyr, in all honestly if you continue with guitar you will get into alot of different genres. When I started, all I listened to was thrash metal but now I regularly listen to Django Reinhardt, Rush, and Death. So I say get the most versatile gear you can get because you never know what you really want to listen to

But that's the thing, if I get a $60 amp and like guitar, and then get like a $300 amp later, it will be better than getting a $100 amp and then getting a $300 amp later.
Quote by dsan224
But that's the thing, if I get a $60 amp and like guitar, and then get like a $300 amp later, it will be better than getting a $100 amp and then getting a $300 amp later.

It is only a $40 difference, to be honest making $40 is pretty easy.
As Ive said before, if you dont enjoy the way guitar playing sounds, it can get discouraging, I say get the Vypyr. Its a better investment.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by darkcheef
It is only a $40 difference, to be honest making $40 is pretty easy.

How much better is the Vypyr than the MG? Like how much money better? Is it $40 bucks better, or is it more?
Quote by dsan224
How much better is the Vypyr than the MG? Like how much money better? Is it $40 bucks better, or is it more?

In the long run probably even more, nothing is worse than having a amp that is difficult to get a good tone out of.
It's worth the $40, easily. The Vypyr is louder, better sounding, more versatile, etc.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by darkcheef
In the long run probably even more, nothing is worse than having a amp that is difficult to get a good tone out of.

In the long run, won't I just upgrade to a better amp? I don't know how long I will keep my first amp, that's the thing.
Quote by dsan224
In the long run, won't I just upgrade to a better amp? I don't know how long I will keep my first amp, that's the thing.

Ok here are the options

You could start out with a amp that could discourage you from playing and make you quit

Or you could spend a measly $40 and get a much more versatile amp that sounds much better
Quote by darkcheef
Ok here are the options

You could start out with a amp that could discourage you from playing and make you quit

Or you could spend a measly $40 and get a much more versatile amp that sounds much better

Does the MG really have THAT bad of a tone? For a beginner like me, all tones are the same to me lmao.
Quote by dsan224
Does the MG really have THAT bad of a tone? For a beginner like me, all tones are the same to me lmao.

It truly does if you even want the smallest amount of gain on your tone, when my cousin started out (the first time) he got a MG 30 cd something and the tone was so bad he quit. But he started guitar back up again, got a vox ac15 (way out of your budget though) and loves playing now.
How big is the Vypyr in comparison to the MG? How much heavier? I just want to know in case I bring it to a friends house or something like that.
Quote by dsan224
How big is the Vypyr in comparison to the MG? How much heavier? I just want to know in case I bring it to a friends house or something like that.

The vypyr 15 is most likely less than 10 pounds, it is really light compared to my 30w.
I actually started out on a worse amp than the MG (yes, it's possible): a Crate 15 watt practice amp. However, I didn't realize how bad the tone really was until I upgraded to a Line 6 Spider 212 hundred watt from 2003. The older, larger spiders actually sound MUCH better than the new ones. Still digital, but at least these TRIED to sound like tubes.
Anyway, point is that if you're at all like me, you won't notice much difference. I thought the crate sounded amazing. Then I bought my Line 6 and thought that sounded amazing. That was about 9 months ago, and I'm saving up for what will hopefully be my final upgrade: a Bugera 6262 (flame away.) While I was using each amp, I was entirely satisfied with the tone. (sidenote: I still don't really hate the Spider). Whatever amp you get should depend more on versatility than overall tonal quality though, so I'd go with the Peavey.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by darkcheef
The vypyr 15 is most likely less than 10 pounds, it is really light compared to my 30w.

Beats my 75.

I get a workout hauling that thing up and down stairs.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
^I do too.
I actually got callouses on my fingers from lugging the thing around all day for 2 weeks.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
^I do too.
I actually got callouses on my fingers from lugging the thing around all day for 2 weeks.

Makes me dread carrying around the 6505 if I get it.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Is the Peavey Vypyr really that versatile? Besides Rock and Metal, can you name some other genres that is possible on the Vypyr?
The time you keep an amp depends on your money and how much you like the amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Get a SMALL but decent amp for your first. So Roland cube, Peavey Vypyr, etc. Then later depending on what you play get a proper tube amp, like a Marshall, Peavey 6505, Fender Super Champ, etc. That way you can still use your small amp for home practice and your better one for playing live, etc.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Get a SMALL but decent amp for your first. So Roland cube, Peavey Vypyr, etc. Then later depending on what you play get a proper tube amp, like a Marshall, Peavey 6505, Fender Super Champ, etc. That way you can still use your small amp for home practice and your better one for playing live, etc.

I generally dislike the idea of practicing on an amp which sounds pretty much worse than your amp for your band and for gigs.

Why can't you practise on a good amp?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by dsan224
Is the Peavey Vypyr really that versatile? Besides Rock and Metal, can you name some other genres that is possible on the Vypyr?

Really anything since there is so much to choose from.
ive had the same amp since i started playing
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Get the Vypyr because you can do more with it. With the MG, you only have clean ond overdrive, which for me would get boring fast. With the Vypyr, you have all this other crazy stuff that you might not think you would use, but you will. I promise.

EDIT: and what's $40 dollars difference? By the time you get some sort of job (mowing lawns, babysitting, stuff like that) you'll be looking for a new amp. Get the Vypyr.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
totally pointless thread, you change your rig in accordance to what your tonal requirements are

Well this thread has kinda transformed into a "is it worth buying a vypyr over an mg?" thread now lol.
i bought a line 6 spider 2 a few years after just starting out. i kept that amp for like 3 years. i played fenders, gibsons, etc through it until i finally saved up enough money for a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC30CC2. i eventually sold those amps 3 months after buying them to get a Vox AC30H2. so i keep my amps for either a long time, or a very short amount of time. i may sell the vox AC30H2 for a Dr. Z EZG-50 if i find one with the right price. I am totally in love with the AC30, but i am equally in love with the EZG, and it hasn't got the reliability issues of a lot of chinese made vox amps.

Quote by lkngro
Get the Vypyr because you can do more with it. With the MG, you only have clean ond overdrive, which for me would get boring fast.

i despise this thread now. you realize the worlds BEST amps usually feature nothing but a single channel without even so much as a gain knob? the best amps are the simplest. no exceptions. built in effects sound TERRIBLE. buy pedals if you want to use effects. you have given him the worst advice i have ever heard.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i despise this thread now. you realize the worlds BEST amps usually feature nothing but a single channel without even so much as a gain knob? the best amps are the simplest. no exceptions. built in effects sound TERRIBLE. buy pedals if you want to use effects. you have given him the worst advice i have ever heard.

Yep they're AMPLIFIERS not effect processors, they're made to AMPLIFY the sound of the guitar. Although I would never buy an amp without a gain knob.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
[quote="Lt. Shinysides

That's a pretty broad statement, you may like a Fender 57' amp, while another person could lust a Mark IV amp.
Page 1 of 2