Hey UG,
I've been playing guitar for more than 2 years and I've got to get out of my Fender 15G. Its buzzing, playing the radio, and I can't use it well with my ESP JH-200. I want to buy an amp within range of $350 and preferably used. I play anything from Van Halen style classic rock to Metallica and anything in between. I want a combo with good distortion and crunch but I don't think the Marshall distortions are good. Please give me suggestions of amps and places to get them, or used ones. Thanks!
Why don't you like the Marshall distortion? But anyways, you won't get a good Marshall for your money.

Please answer the following questions:

Gigging?
Band practice?
Tube/SS?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I actually have a pretty big-deal talent show in my high school and I plan on going through to a few more, I so far don't like the sound (off what I've heard off utube sry) of Tubes outrageously more than SS but its not an opposition. its just not worth the money to me. I am in a small band and my drummer is LOUD. In a garage the 15G was decent but I want quality too. I'm looking at the 75 vypyr, but I want to know if the distortion is as toy-sounding as Line 6's.
Quote by tennisplayer
Roland Cube 60, Vox Valvetronix VT50, Line6 Spider75

Line 6 is bad,stay away
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Firstly those don't fit my budget, but I don't like Line 6s as mentioned above since the effects are gimmicky and the sound is just painful for me. I want to see somebody get a good Brown sound and maybe a Satch tone out of the vypyr, and try one at GC later before I get one.
ht-5?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I CANNOT SPEND MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS and I do not want a line-6. I want a combo amp for practice- small gigs that can be loud and give a good range of distortion and fit my playing needs from hard rock to some metal and not sound like a crappy toy amp. I'm leaning towards the vypyr but it still seems a bit over the top with all the models.
why not line 6?

flextone,spider valve,vetta,hd147 is all great

well,its only the spider series suck balls
Quote by angusfan16
I didn't like the sound of the Spider for one, and the others seem a bit similar in tone. Overall I prefer Line 6 to stay to effects. Also my ex-guitarist used one and it sound like absolute crap. It was actually a Line 6 30W Spider with an Epiphone LP but I can't take the twangy sounds, even if I "just need to adjust it".
First of all the Vypyr is a good beginner modelling amp.
I wouldn't get anything above the 30W version though.

Tube amps on YouTube videos sound nowhere close to the sound you get from the in real life.
Also ironically Satch and EVH both use tube amps. Also you won't get brown sound easily, it's pretty complicated to reproduce it.

The Vypyr has many amp models, but that shouldn't be a problem.

You could also take a look at a used Line 6 Flextone.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
So I should look at a 30W? Ok, and this Flextone as well. I'm not into making a specific tone but just get something close that I can use for others. As you can tell, I've had to use my Fender 15G for everything so getting an all in one would be a lot easier. Tubes just go over my budget so much, but I will try to find one if its cheap.
Brother used Peavey Classic 30 or used Peavy VTM.. Used Peavy Classic series usually go for pretty cheap. Fender Superchamp XD is a great one. Peavy Vyprs are good for what they are worth. You really aren't going to get much for 300 bucks though.

Why is it that when I come back to GG and A people start recommending spiders and horrible amplifiers. COMON
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Line 6 is bad,stay away

No, Spiders are bad, Line 6 are generally very good.

Maybe a Vypyr or a Cube?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Thanks guys! Just one last debate. I played a 30W at Guitar Center and I loved almost all of it. Somehow it still had a tiny bit of digital-sounding crunch to it and I was hoping that I'd get the smoothness from the Tube 60. My dad would be ok with paying for (well part) a good amp as long as its the best fit and longest lasting (for the next 2 years in school). How much is the Tube 60 worth (not literally 450 bucks) over a 30 Watt?
Also is it light enough to move around once every week or so to a friends? Its not that I'm weak since I'm not, but its gonna be a pain to carry it up and down my stairs...
Quote by Swiggles
Thanks guys! Just one last debate. I played a 30W at Guitar Center and I loved almost all of it. Somehow it still had a tiny bit of digital-sounding crunch to it and I was hoping that I'd get the smoothness from the Tube 60. My dad would be ok with paying for (well part) a good amp as long as its the best fit and longest lasting (for the next 2 years in school). How much is the Tube 60 worth (not literally 450 bucks) over a 30 Watt?

$250 more, and it's an amp that I have not regreted.

It's about 60lb, so it's light enough to move it around very easily.
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Oct 11, 2009,