Probably a stupid question to most of you however I have the bb pros and I don't like the tone at all, I'm thinking of getting seymour duncan aph-1 or pearly gates however I am curious, are they harder to actually do hammer on and pull offs and harmonics and all that?
Uhhh... if a pickup makes it harder to do hammer ons, pull offs and harmonics... then your pickup is raised so high that it's touching the strings

All of those are all in your playing technique, some pickups may pronounce them a bit better, but they're not going to make it "hard" for you to do them. You'll be fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 10, 2009,
haha i mean because its so low ouput will i have to put more distortion on it? Idk I've never owned anything less than a alnico V magnet so Idk what to expect. I can never find my amp at the guitar places local so I can't just try out different guitars and what to find out myself
Quote by MatrixClaw
Uhhh... if a pickup makes it harder to do hammer ons, pull offs and harmonics... then your pickup is raised so high that it's touching the strings

All of those are all in your playing technique, some pickups may pronounce them a bit better, but they're not going to make it "hard" for you to do them. You'll be fine.

Thank you for your answer, have you tried either the pearly gates or the APH-1's? if so which did you prefer?
Quote by zzzcvbn2000
Thank you for your answer, have you tried either the pearly gates or the APH-1's? if so which did you prefer?

I've never tried the Alnico II, but I had a Pearly Gates in my Lonestar Strat and it sounded great.

What are you putting it in and what sounds are you going for? What amp are you using?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've never tried the Alnico II, but I had a Pearly Gates in my Lonestar Strat and it sounded great.

What are you putting it in and what sounds are you going for? What amp are you using?

a les paul, I play lots of zepp, slash, iron maiden, van halen, ozzy...ect stuff like that lots of classic rock. I play it in a crappy MG100HDFX though not too bad when you run it with a MXR Distortion pedal, however one day i'm going to get a JCM series...
I think the amp is your problem then.

A pickup change with that amp is going to be a very minimal change in tone, if you're not happy with what you're hearing when you're plugged in, it's more than likely the amp's problem.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah as said put that money towards a new amp first. It will do a HUGE difference. You could sell of the MG and use that money to get a Blackheart. They're really cheap and sound great. Listen to the one in my profile and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I thought that, however my tone didn't change and I've played it through many different amps, for ex my friend owns a van halen signature amp with a crap load of effects and what not and it didn't really change the tone however his guitar had bb alnico II in it that sounded fantastic however he wouldn't play it in my amp so.... lol you think it won't make much a difference?
Not really. MG's kind of drain most of the differences between guitars except hums vs. single-coils. Take it to Guitar Center and try out the different amps, I thought my Fender FM25 was great. Then I tried a clean Fender tube amp, and I think my rig tells the rest of the story.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by zzzcvbn2000
I thought that, however my tone didn't change and I've played it through many different amps, for ex my friend owns a van halen signature amp with a crap load of effects and what not and it didn't really change the tone however his guitar had bb alnico II in it that sounded fantastic however he wouldn't play it in my amp so.... lol you think it won't make much a difference?

If you're not noticing a difference between a MG and a 5150(III)? You either have no ear for tone, are horrible at EQing (and I mean really horrible) or there's something with your electronics.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
If you're not noticing a difference between a MG and a 5150(III)? You either have no ear for tone, are horrible at EQing (and I mean really horrible) or there's something with your electronics.

no no brother, I said not really a difference, obviously the mg was worse however the bb pros suck balls thats all I'm getting at. I'm pretty damn good at eq'ing if most of my videos on youtube people think I use a jcm or dsl, at least I would hope I am, all I'm asking is if I change out my pickups for a more warm alnico II if it will dramatically change the tone... ex: less bright and more bluesy...
No it won't be worth dropping that money into your guitar with that amp, you just won't notice anything. However you could always get GFS alnico 2 pickups as they are cheaper that way you won't waste so much.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
wait. Did you say that there were no MGs at Guitar Center? This man is a dirty liar.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
wait. Did you say that there were no MGs at Guitar Center? This man is a dirty liar.

yeah lol.

and I have used the BBpros, although they are not the best they are definitely not bad enough that there would be hardly a difference between an MG and a 5150III...
If you can do hammer on's, pull offs and harmonics with no pickup at all IE acoustic. Theres not a pickup on earth that will not allow you to do these techniques electrically. As for the tone that's generally all amp. Pickups account for maybe 5-10% of your tone.

Hope that helps..
This is to do with technique more than anything mate.

But, if you want to improve your tone, then do as has been suggested. Flogging that amp and picking up something different with the money will do the world of good. Stick it on Craigslist or something and aim for a Blackheart or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
One thing that might be poor about the sgutiar is the setup. Try maybe lowering your pickups a tad and check the neck relief, not to mention intonation and action. All of these being fixed can greatly improve the performance of your instrument.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores