Sew your foot to a wah pedal.

...Seriously though, I second Darkcheef here. As for EQ, check the Ultimate Settings thread in GG&A.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by GuitarLGND
Would a jackson v do the job?

What kind, and honestly the amp is going to out weight the guitar on getting the tone, what is your current rig?
A crappy danelectro guitar, boss od-2, dunlop crybaby, boss bf-3 flanger, crappy tiny peavy amp. ls what it is =/ but im going to get a job soon enough (im 14) so i can buy new gear.
Quote by GuitarLGND
A crappy danelectro guitar, boss od-2, dunlop crybaby, boss bf-3 flanger, crappy tiny peavy amp. ls what it is =/ but im going to get a job soon enough (im 14) so i can buy new gear.

If your going to get a job soon, I say see if you can wait off. But if you need to upgrade now, it would make the most since to upgrade the amp.
Well as far as i know i will get a guitar if i keep up with my grades which is a plus; and i am probably the most patient person out there too so i can defietly wait; but with the dsl it would take wayyy too long to save up for that and i don't need a half stack so do you know of any smaller amps that could possibly acheive either that sound or close to the sound?
Marshall DSL 100, EMG 81/60 pickups in an alder or poplar bodied guitar for kirk and EMG 81/60 pickups in a mahogany bodied guitar for james. 10-52 gauge ernie ball strings and an original dunlop crybaby.
Quote by GuitarLGND
Well as far as i know i will get a guitar if i keep up with my grades which is a plus; and i am probably the most patient person out there too so i can defietly wait; but with the dsl it would take wayyy too long to save up for that and i don't need a half stack so do you know of any smaller amps that could possibly acheive either that sound or close to the sound?

A B-52AT112 could sound pretty close IMO if you EQ it right.
Quote by shredder408
Marshall DSL 100, EMG 81/60 pickups in an alder or poplar bodied guitar for kirk and EMG 81/60 pickups in a mahogany bodied guitar for james. 10-52 gauge ernie ball strings and an original dunlop crybaby.

Nope, he said 80's tone.
Quote by worldwidechance
modded jcm800, ibanez tube screamer, duncan invader pickup. that should do it.

I can't find that amp
What you need is a guitar with:
High output passives, a Duncan Distortion or Invader both work well.
A mahogany body or an Alder body, depending on whose tone you want.
A high gain British voiced amp; think a modded JCM800 or a JCM900.
And an OD boosting it (I think they used a TS-808 on Ride the Lightning).
It's the only way to get that tone for real.

Later '80s, what you want is:
A mahogany bodied guitar with EMG's; 81/60 for James and 81/81 for Kirk.
A Mesa Mark III
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
What you need is a guitar with:
High output passives, a Duncan Distortion or Invader both work well.
A mahogany body or an Alder body, depending on whose tone you want.
A high gain British voiced amp; think a modded JCM800 or a JCM900.
And an OD boosting it (I think they used a TS-808 on Ride the Lightning).
It's the only way to get that tone for real.

Later '80s, what you want is:
A mahogany bodied guitar with EMG's; 81/60 for James and 81/81 for Kirk.
A Mesa Mark III

????
That's the stuff you need for that tone.

JCM800 and JCM900 are Marshall amps. Common in the '80s and early '90s. I think Kerry King from Slayer uses a modded JCM800 model.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
That's the stuff you need for that tone.

JCM800 and JCM900 are Marshall amps. Common in the '80s and early '90s. I think Kerry King from Slayer uses a modded JCM800 model.

THanks but are there any tube or solid state amps that would help?
They are amps... Tube amps.
You can find them used fairly cheaply.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Get an extreme distortion pedal. I use the Zoom G1X Multi-FX with the extreme distortion, and the gain cranked right up on the pedal (cut the gain on the amp though - you don't want your clean sounds fuzzing). Sounds very Metallica-ish

As for EQ I have it on 7, 5, 3 (bass, mid, and treble respectively), and on the amp it's 7, 5, 6. I currently use a Roland 15X
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Oct 10, 2009,
WEll basically is there any cheaper way to get a decent tone from an amp cuz....well i almost just pooded wen i saw tyhe price at guitarcenter.com
Quote by GuitarLGND
WEll basically is there any cheaper way to get a decent tone from an amp cuz....well i almost just pooded wen i saw tyhe price at guitarcenter.com

They pop up on craigslist from time to time usually for around $650. What is your budget?
I don't have one yet hahaha but i should be able to spare that much once i get a job
If not craigslist, then eBay.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden