My SG has been without an E string for about a week because I didn't have the money to buy a new pack of strings. I finally get a new pack and when I'm replacing the strings it seems like I can't get the tune on some strings and on other strings they randomly pop [even when they are loose]. I have a third pack ready but I don't want these to go to waste. Is there something I should do before to prevent the strings from popping?
Make sure there are no kinks in the string before you restring them, make sure your bridge or nut doesn't have any sharp points, etc.
Thanks for the input so far

@darkcheef: The first pair were Ernie Ball Regular Slinky I got at the Guitar Center downtown.
the next pair were D'Addario something or other that I got from a local music shop

@-blue-: If I remember correctly, the last time they broke was a little bit below the nut.

@pixysticks: I have to look it over when I go back to the music room, don't have it with me right now. I did take the time to clean it up a little while it was out of commission and I didn't see anything wrong with it.
I had that problem on a pair of Deans...I had a tech go over them a few times and eventually stopped having frequent pops.

Even though a tech gives them a once over, its possible he missed something or a new burr has arisen.

In my case, I chalked it up to a few tiny burrs plus a possible batch of defective strings (I bought several packets of strings all at once).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I live in the Bronx, I understand your pain of going to the city for strings -_-. The store near Fordham charges $10 for strings. But your case is weird, are you sure your nut is not made of sharp steel? xD. But run through the entire guitar, check the saddles, frets, everything.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
could it be they need to be stretched a bit first or something? i have nvr had strings do that to me.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I love Bronen's since I know the guys there, but gosh...they overcharge me for strings T_T.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby