Are they the same? I mean:
If I'm improvising on E Aeolian, or E minor. Am I also playing in G Major?
So it's two scales at the same time?
Why yes, as it's all to do with modes. E Aeolian is a mode, which comes from the G major scale. And that link above is majorly helpful.
Yes, because the E minor scale has the same notes as the G major scale, just a different root
if you play an E minor scale over a G major chord it will sound pretty much like a G major scale
Yes and no.

Yes, it's the same notes, but you don't play E minor over a G major progression. It just doesn't fit, unless it's over a minor chord.
Quote by bingeandletgo
Same notes. However, if the song centers around E minor, it is therefore E aeolian. Conversely, if it centers over G Major, it is G Ionian

Exactly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 10, 2009,
Same notes. However, if the song centers around E minor, it is therefore E aeolian. Conversely, if it centers over G Major, it is G Ionian
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.