This is probably a dumb question but i am probably getting the seymour duncan invader pickups when i get my new guitar and i was just wondering if I am suppposed to put both the neck style and bridge style pickups into the guitar
well, if you're absolutely adamant on your pickup choice, i'm not going to try and persuade you then.

yes, you can put both the neck and bridge invaders in your guitar.

however, common practice is to compliment the high output pickup in the bridge with a low output pickup in the neck like a seymour duncan JB to be able to get very good and clear tones either for clean playing or soloing.
I'm going to ask what gear you have. I'm guessing you play metal though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You're not really obligated to put any pickup in your guitar you don't want. But, just so you know, the neck version of the pickup has considerably less resistance and when used in the neck position of the guitar, it has a great blues tone. I have them both in my V.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Gabel
I'm going to ask what gear you have. I'm guessing you play metal though.

a crappy danelectro guitar, boss od-2, and a crappy tiny peavy amp...and a couple otha pedals that are unrelated
Quote by GuitarLGND
a crappy danelectro guitar, boss od-2, and a crappy tiny peavy amp...and a couple otha pedals that are unrelated

Then you're not really going to notice much of a change in your tone with the new pickups.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
WEll im also getting a new guitar and a new amp too when i get a job (im only 14 lol)
Quote by GuitarLGND
WEll im also getting a new guitar and a new amp too when i get a job (im only 14 lol)

Then put that money towards that. Pickups are made to couple a good guitar and amp. So save up for that first!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by GuitarLGND

earlier on, your OP was asking for advice only on pickup choices and so, i made my recommendations strictly within that context.

if you're looking for advice regarding your entire guitar gear rig, my advice would be NO. don't buy any new pickups. save the money for a new amp.
Haha ya im also getting my guitar free if i keep up grades so by the time i have the money for an amp i will also have a new guitar
Quote by daryle_goh
well, if you're absolutely adamant on your pickup choice, i'm not going to try and persuade you then.

however, common practice is to compliment the high output pickup in the bridge with a low output pickup in the neck like a seymour duncan JB

The JB isn't low output... and isn't very good in the neck IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by daryle_goh

however, common practice is to compliment the high output pickup in the bridge with a ow output pickup in the neck like a seymour duncan JB to be able to get very good and clear tones either for clean playing or soloing.

Uh, no. I don't think a 16.5k humbucker is a low output one. And by I don't think, I mean it just plain isn't low output. Try a Jazz, definitely not a JB.

Also, dude, consolidate threads. You could have kept this in your other thread.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 10, 2009,
i wanted more of an opinion...and do you really think a jazz pickup would provide a good metal tone?
The Jazz really isn't a jazz pickup. It's quite bright...good for metal cleans. If you want a better distortion tone, get a Full Shred. That goes far better with a Duncan Distortion than an Invader though.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ya but my whole basis is around metallica...will that give me the general same sound with proper amp settings?
Sure. I find it gives a great clean tone, somewhat like the EMG 60 James uses.

I also prefer the Distortion to the Invader; it's tighter and clearer than the Invader.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Your current rig will not get you a metallica tone no matter what pickups, you need to save for a new amp first.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by oneblackened
The Jazz really isn't a jazz pickup. It's quite bright...good for metal cleans..

Interesting, I find the ones I've had in my guitars to be very warm and jazzy. I don't really like that pickup at all in the neck, it's not bright enough for me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting, I find the ones I've had in my guitars to be very warm and jazzy. I don't really like that pickup at all in the neck, it's not bright enough for me

+1

I'm a Jazz guy but I prefer a brighter/funkier tone for the most part. I really don't know anyone who likes the Jazz in the neck though. I think it's too muddy and undefined for anything other than cleans and even then I don't really like it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
+1

I'm a Jazz guy but I prefer a brighter/funkier tone for the most part. I really don't know anyone who likes the Jazz in the neck though. I think it's too muddy and undefined for anything other than cleans and even then I don't really like it.

Yeah, I've really yet to find a neck pickup that I truly like. I like the DiMarzio PAF Pro a lot, but even then it's still too warm for me. I just end up using the bridge split for cleans most of the time because it's brighter and more chimey
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, I've really yet to find a neck pickup that I truly like. I like the DiMarzio PAF Pro a lot, but even then it's still too warm for me. I just end up using the bridge split for cleans most of the time because it's brighter and more chimey

I rarely use my neck pickup for the same reason. I typically just mix the bridge and neck pups with the bridge dominating the mix though. Neck pickups that please me are hard to come by. Same with wahs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by JoePerry4life
Your current rig will not get you a metallica tone no matter what pickups, you need to save for a new amp first.

Well are there any decent/less expensive amps that could help me get the most out of my pickups?