hey
so ive got my baby lol its an ESP LTD MH400 NT and im thinkin about changing the pickups in it

at the moment its the EMG 81/85 combo in it
but ive been thinkin about getting some passives put in because i play through a lot of small solid state amps and the EMGs just tend to kill it,

im happy with my sound but im still tweaking it everyday

so my question is what passives will give me the the same sound as the EMG combo
id prefer the EMG 60 to the 85

im in the UK
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
TS, give us a few examples of the amps you're most likely to be playing through.

also, do tell us what kind of genres you're in to.
My advice:
EMG-HZ's all the way, the HZ-4 preferrably.
Also get an afterburner for a gain boost.
"Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here. Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated."
-Early Cuyler
Quote by Sam Wotrey
My advice:
EMG-HZ's all the way, the HZ-4 preferrably.
Also get an afterburner for a gain boost.

Just...no.
I gotta say, hz's are even more lifeless than their actives; and they're passive pickups!

The reason I don't like EMG's actives (or the hz) is because it seemed to me that they had no dynamic contrast. They were all output, also I couldn't get the kind of definition I wanted out of my 81-85 set because there was tons of compression. This ended up with my tone sounding dead and squashed.

I bought my warpigs, HUGE improvement!

All that crazy high output, but clarity, openess (it's a little compressed, but NOTHING like an EMG, hey, it's 22k output ), and (most importantly) it has CHARACTER!

Don't take my opinion as law, this is just my experience. Decide for yourself TS.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Last edited by {Ѵëņŏmőůş} at Oct 10, 2009,
ok so amp wise its:
roland cube
Marshall valvestate 100
New peavey bandit 112

My amps the blackstar HT-5 head and marshall 1922 cab
and maybe a valve king

genre wise its mainly metal, wouldnt mind a coil split tho

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Don't get HZ's, unless you get the afterburner. By themselves they are WEAK.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
I say go to your local GC/music store and try out some guitars with similar specs as yours, but different pups. This will give you a good idea of what you want hopefully.

You could also go in and ask the sales rep's (if they are knowledgeable) what they would suggest.

IMO though, look at BareKnuckle pickups if you have the chance (or the money ). Best pickups I've ever tried. I simply can't sing their praises enough!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
yeah they have gibsons and jacksons mainly and they done really have many other guitars same spec as mine,

im just getting an idea of different pups but im going to a music show in a month so i can get a good deal on BKPs
just dont know which BKPs tho haha

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
so far i have:

D activators and EMG H4's

i was thinkin getting some dimarzios, maybe a superdistortion or the d-activator in the bridge and somethin in the neck, not sure which tho

im not a fan of those H4's

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
so far i have:

D activators and EMG H4's

i was thinkin getting some dimarzios, maybe a superdistortion or the d-activator in the bridge and somethin in the neck, not sure which tho

im not a fan of those H4's
Look at the Air-Norton.
Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
Just...no.
I gotta say, hz's are even more lifeless than their actives; and they're passive pickups!

The reason I don't like EMG's actives (or the hz) is because it seemed to me that they had no dynamic contrast. They were all output, also I couldn't get the kind of definition I wanted out of my 81-85 set because there was tons of compression. This ended up with my tone sounding dead and squashed.

I bought my warpigs, HUGE improvement!

All that crazy high output, but clarity, openess (it's a little compressed, but NOTHING like an EMG, hey, it's 22k output ), and (most importantly) it has CHARACTER!

Don't take my opinion as law, this is just my experience. Decide for yourself TS.

This every last word of it. But if you dont have the cash for warpigs (wonderful pups) get Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios, so much better than anything EMG can make.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

i have the money for bare knuckles so i might just get them tbh

EDIT:

what would be a better neck pup?
like have a war pig in the bridge and what in the neck?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Last edited by Carrot at Oct 11, 2009,
bear in mind the BKPs won't sound like the EMGs. i've heard before that the MM sounds like the 81, and mine doesn't sound anything like an 81 (from what i can remember an 81 sounding like, anyway). Doesn't bother me, I didn't want something that sounded like an 81, but it's worth bearing in mind.

can you really hear the EMGs messing with the SS amps? if so, then your mind might be made up for you... but if you're just going by what you've heard, and you think they sound ok, then just stick with them...

EDIT: if you do decide on BKPs, ask over at the BKP forum and email tim for advice too. They know way better than we do. Bulldogs, swinesheads (but they've got very dear now, unfortunately), rockmonkeys, sheds, etc. etc. would presumably be worth considering too. I've only tried SH out of those, though, but hear good things about the others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 11, 2009,