Looking to spice things up when playing live, playing behind my head is getting a bit dull so I'm gonna try and play behind my back, but I can't figure out how to get it behind my back quickly and efficiently (and withotu choking myself on an 200 pound guitar)
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Playing behind your head is plain boring, people have been doing it for half a century. And honestly playing behind your back would look pretty tacky
Well I have no idea what else to do. Most of the gigs I do are in spaces too small to really do anything.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Well I have no idea what else to do. Most of the gigs I do are in spaces too small to really do anything.

Sway to the music but what do you play live?
Mixture of a lot of stuff, last gig consisted of Guns N Roses, Blink 182, and the Foo Fighters.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Just Hendrix and Vai on the stage with their emotional playing.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
If you can, jump off the stage and go as close the crowd when your doing a solo. That usually works really well. On a side not, you could spin around in circles, that seems to be the new fad :P
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by DotSick
Just Hendrix and Vai on the stage with their emotional playing.

+1

if you can make love to your guitar and make it look like your guitar is enjoying it, thats all you need.
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Where I usually do gigs, there isn't a raised platform, and the fact that I'm wired up might make spinning end hilariously (not for me though =/)

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
The best way to put your guitar behind your back would be to place it in it's stand and turn around.

I mean.... If you have to ask....
Have you watched Hendrix play at Monterey Pop? Aside from him setting his guitar on fire and everything that has already been mentioned, he does play the guitar while it was behind his back and with his teeth.

Just put your body into your playing while you play. Paul Gilbert even did a lesson on it.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Oct 12, 2009,
Check out Stevie Ray Vaughn, Live at El Mocambo...Can't remember which song it is (but the whole thing is worth checking out). At one point, he spins and when he has come full circle, the guitar is behind his back. Definitely worth checking out. As much as I like A7X, don't just stand there masturbating your guitar...
Quote by Smcash
Check out Stevie Ray Vaughn, Live at El Mocambo...Can't remember which song it is (but the whole thing is worth checking out). At one point, he spins and when he has come full circle, the guitar is behind his back. Definitely worth checking out. As much as I like A7X, don't just stand there masturbating your guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tS5V9DIG0

I was thinking the same thing. Skip to about 7:30
It looks like he took his strap off, and put it back on behind his back, is that about right?

I think this'd be easier with a lighter guitar =/

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
the best way too spice up your shows is to interact with the band and the audience,

5% want to hear you 95% want to get drunk or laid

putting on a a good show through interaction and a well choreographed set will win over the majority. (the avenged sevenfold vid...they knew exactly where to stand and were acting towards the crowd throughout) if it`s a proper rock club like my local one they might have a dedicated lighting engineer (send him a demo or invite him to a practice)

ever heard a band say "so what shall we play next"....they already know what there going to play, it`s just they are interacting with the crowd to make them feel that they are part of the gig. doesn`t matter whether you are playing to 20 peeps or 2000 peeps principle rule applies.

swinging your guitar round on small stages is only going to knock someone out, cause a riot and trash you gear.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 12, 2009,
I struggled with this at first. You have to have your strap pretty much the longest it could be then you simply put your right hand on your neck and then swing it out behind you, then you go about taking the left hand putting it on the neck and then playing a solo.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by Guitar2theface

Go rent The Who live at Kilburn 1977 and Jimi Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival. don't just copy though, doing that looks emotionless. Just go with what feels right with the music.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Does anyone else think that Attack Attack looks like a bunch of apes in that video? On the bright side, I liked that little running thing
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
If you want to look badass playing guitar on stage, you have to be natural and cannot look like you're trying too hard which is exactly what you're going to end up doing by pulling a ton of gimmicks. It just looks precanned and lame in general. Hendrix can pull stuff off like that because he's Hendrix.
Quote by ghiyath
I was thinking the same thing.
Haha, so was I
First thing that came to my head. If you could do what SRV did, for example: watch his cover of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), he plays with his fretting hand only for about 10-20 seconds. I can't remember if Hendrix actually did this (I don't think he did), but eitherway, it looks absolutely stunning.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
To play it behind your back, best to have your strap on your shoulder rather than over you.

But people don't see that as a very cool trick, over the head may be "boring" for you, but it wows people.
Quote by AntiG3
Haha, so was I
First thing that came to my head. If you could do what SRV did, for example: watch his cover of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), he plays with his fretting hand only for about 10-20 seconds. I can't remember if Hendrix actually did this (I don't think he did), but eitherway, it looks absolutely stunning.

Hendrix has done it . He does it at Woodstock and some other concerts.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Hendrix has done it . He does it at Woodstock and some other concerts.
Well eitherway - I still like watching it being done over and over again
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!