Hey
So lately ive been playing a lot of blues on my guitar, and i love the sound of like Son House, BB King aswel as modern bluesish acts like the black keys. anyway So im considering getting a Resonator Gutiar.

First up, a probably stupid question (but hey :P gotta learn somewhere) Can you play a resonator like a normal guitar? i.e. without a slide just fretting the notes

And also, can anyone reccomend some low budget resonator's that still sound good? id like to spend no more than say $500. at the moment im looking at the Ashton D100 but i havent yet played it, so any advice would be good

thanks!
Dean
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
I'd look around in pawn shops before committing to a really good resonator, but I think Dobros generally go for ~$500. You can play slide or just fret notes on those. I'm actually considering getting one of these fellows
http://jayturser.com/jt-res.php
They go for around $300
I've never really played one, but the other day I was at a gig and another one of the bands there (it was a bluegrass gig...and I was in my school's bluegrass band, which does a lot of gigs) had someone playing slide on one, and I noticed that the action was ridiculously high (which for playing slide makes absolute perfect sense); Like, fretting notes would probably make your fingers bleed most likely.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I got my (Gibson) Dobro "Hound Dog" Resonator about six months ago & i love it.
CoF-Dean you can play Resonators like a normal steel string for sure. You dont need a slide , having said that it isnt till you get them in open "G" or DADGAD tuning with or without slide thy sound simply blissfull

My Hound Dog was $750 AUD approx $500 > $550 USD
my daughter bought a cheaper brand resonator & it sounds fine 350 AUD

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Oct 11, 2009,
Thanks everyone
Dix_Fix $750 is a bit much for me at the moment, so may i ask what brand your daughters resonator is?

Also, I've seen some resonators with F holes and some without. what is the benefit of having f holes in a resonator? (i dont know much about f holes and what they do, so excuse my ignorance)
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Look at a Regal or if you can find one, Gretsch did one for their historic series, which is what I have. You can lower the action of the guitar to a happier place for chording and a little slide. If you get a less expensive one, change out the saddle to a maple and ebony. Also have a look at the nut. Go for the bone...... You can turn a less expensive reso into a very nice one by hot-rodding it a bit. TWANGGG