I've begun seriously looking at this amp as a possible contender for my newest amp. It looks like a serious tone beast, and has sounded great every time I hear it, especially for the genres I'd be plugging it for (Blues rock/classic rock). Anyone know if it'd be loud enough to be played in a power-trio setting? Can it compete (soundwise) with a 15 watt solid state? What about a 60 watt one? Etc.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Good tone, yes, loud enough to play in a power trio... depends how loud the power trio is. Compete volumewise with a 15 watt ss amp, probably, 60 watt ss amp? no.

5 watts is really more for recording and practice purposes, I'd really look for 15 watts-30 watts for a band setting amp.
Quote by al112987
Good tone, yes, loud enough to play in a power trio... depends how loud the power trio is. Compete volumewise with a 15 watt ss amp, probably, 60 watt ss amp? no.

5 watts is really more for recording and practice purposes, I'd really look for 15 watts-30 watts for a band setting amp.

Right now, I'm playing through a 15 watt roland cube, and if I crank it (Which sounds like **** anyways) it'd get too loud most of the time. I typically play in doors.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Too loud even in a band setting? In terms of gigging, I've had trouble with even an 18 watt TMB not getting over a drummer (but to be fair, he was an incredibly loud drummer, I have doubts that my 45 could have gotten over that guy).
I dunno. We've always had a quiet drummer, if such exists.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
You could theoretically play a gig through almost any amplifier and mike it through the PA system. Most guitarists would rather not do this, though, unless you are playing a very large venue.

Eventually, you are going to want something a lot bigger. Either practicality or a terminal case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) will cause this, and there is no way to prevent it. I suggest going with something bigger and louder.
so drew, you tried a class 5. i hate you. :madfuker:

jk bro. just got the haze in. like the tone, nit fond of the fx.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah, i believe the haze has a 7 watt mode also, if you actually only need 5 watts. probably a better purchase, i think the Class 5 is a bit over priced. other 5 watt amps are a lot cheaper.
I love the class 5, I really think it's one of the best 5W amps out there at the moment.
*raises flameshield from blackstar fanyboys*

Sure the Blackstar has more stuff in it but who the hell cares when the marshall sounds as good as it does

TS you're probably not going to be able to gig/use the class 5 in a band. It's more of a practice and recording amp. Try the Haze out see what you think about that, it seems to be more of a marmite amp though.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The class 5 is quite loud, I've bought it and I'm going to try it out at a small theatre
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
what country are you in? that'll affect recommendations etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jak Archer
The class 5 is quite loud, I've bought it and I'm going to try it out at a small theatre

If you can gig with it would you let me know? That would be awesome, if it's loud enough I'd be really tempted to A/B it for a dirty channel
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

^I'm going to try and get a 4x12 to help the Marshall, but it sucks though because the amp is rated for 16 ohms and there are no 2x12 which are rated at 16 ohms. BTW TS I've got some clips in my profile of the Marshall
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
^I'm going to try and get a 4x12 to help the Marshall, but it sucks though because the amp is rated for 16 ohms and there are no 2x12 which are rated at 16 ohms. BTW TS I've got some clips in my profile of the Marshall

Couldn't you get say a harley benton 2x12 and upgrade speakers to those with a higher Ohm output?

Sorry TS, I'm accidentally threadjacking here. IMO with a quiet drummer you probably could use the Class 5 with a band because it is very loud.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Well, suppose this amp really is too quiet. What would be a good amp with a similar tone, but more powerful? I'd prefer a same general price
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by SimplyBen
Couldn't you get say a harley benton 2x12 and upgrade speakers to those with a higher Ohm output?

Sorry TS, I'm accidentally threadjacking here. IMO with a quiet drummer you probably could use the Class 5 with a band because it is very loud.

Nah, I think you have to get the same ohm rating speakers as the cab. But I read somewhere that someone just used a 1x12" cab and was ableto gig with it unmic'd
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
^ are you sure? (about the impedance of the speakers)

Quote by Phantom123
Well, suppose this amp really is too quiet. What would be a good amp with a similar tone, but more powerful? I'd prefer a same general price

if you're in the UK (i asked, but you didn't answer), presumably this:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

i haven't tried the marshall yet, though, i'm just going by what i expect it to sound like, and the couple of soundclips i've heard. the marshall might have a little more preamp gain, though, it has an extra preamp tube (though also has a 3-band eq, which can weaken the signal).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 11, 2009,
The Marshall's pretty damn good, especially considering its price and mass produced manufacture. Not got masses of power, but you'd be surprised at what you can do to compensate for that; I always like running little amps through 412s for more beef and micing it up for volume. The only downside to this is that you don't get to push the speakers very hard, and if your amp isn't producing much volume itself and you don't have monitors onstage, you might struggle to hear yourself.

The Orange Tiny Terror's a classic and should provide adequate power, the Vox Night Train sounds pretty good but the manufacture seems slightly tacky, the AC4TV can do power tube distortion at low volumes but doesn't get very loud and sounds somewhat farty.

You know what, just go with Dave's suggestion
Quote by Jak Archer
Nah, I think you have to get the same ohm rating speakers as the cab. But I read somewhere that someone just used a 1x12" cab and was ableto gig with it unmic'd

But surely a cab is just a box that you're mounting speakers into?

+1 to Dave's suggestion of the valvepower, they're awesome sounding little things, especially for your range of genres.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

guys
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cranked the Marshall would probably do small gigs but you are going to have very little clean headroom. That is if you need cleans.
yeah, the VP 18 watter doesn't have masses of HR either, but I assume it has more than the marshall.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ are you sure? (about the impedance of the speakers)

I've also thought that you had to replace the speakers making sure the ohm rating is the same, but I may be wrong ..
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
I'm in America I can afford a Class 5 just fine; my issue is that I dunno how loud it is. I do like the tone; anything similar sounding but louder, in the same price area (Say, up to 500, give or take a bit)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Class 5 is very similar to that JTM45 or 18 watter kind of tone. Look for 18 watt clones, like the one Dave is talking about (the Valve power one)
^ just would need to be careful that postage and customs don't eat into the savings... brown note (that's the one gabe has) or other clones might be better value in the US...

Quote by Jak Archer
I've also thought that you had to replace the speakers making sure the ohm rating is the same, but I may be wrong ..

i was under the impression that you could mix and match speakers at will (obviously noting the change in impedance), but I could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SimplyBen
If you can gig with it would you let me know? That would be awesome, if it's loud enough I'd be really tempted to A/B it for a dirty channel

Today, I was playing the Class 5 at about 4-5 on the volume in my room and apparently my brother who was about a 5 minute walk away said he could hear me playing and apparently he could make out what I was playing. (and I had no windows open, so It should be loud enough to gig with.)
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly