I'm getting a Boss ME-70 effects pedal, and I want an amp to go with it. I'm completely re-doing my sound, I already have a few Boss distortions, effects etc.

I need a amp with a good clean sound. I don't care about mutli-channeled, digital-effect layered fancy (I'm talking the crap they shove into Line-6, Peavy Vyprys, etc.) stuff, I just need an amp that plays well, thats reliable, and will sound good with pedals.

50-75W is what I'm looking - bedroom use + occasional gig. Price range... probably up to 500 MAYBE $600.

Any recommendations?
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
I should probably put in that I plan to play lots of Dream Theater, Rush, Megadeth, Firewind, some Boston and Aerosmith with it. Mostly progressive metal though.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Yeah I looked up the sound of that amp and its not what I'm looking for. Too much oldish 70-s style sound to it.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Why not just get a amp with nice distortion and decent cleans so you wouldn't have to ruin the sound with a multi effects?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I say Bugera V55.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you are looking for a tube amplifier, you may have to part with a few more bucks to get something really good. Carvin amplifiers are very good and a good value, with great clean tones and plenty of gain for the distorted stuff. The best sounding clean tones I have heard out of an amplifier in recent years were from the Blackstar Artisan series. I was amazed at how good the 100 watt version sounded; both clean and distorted. It was also freakishly loud. Moving the volume knob (no master volume on these amps) past three was enough to cause sterility within fifty feet. They make a thirty watt version as well. They'll cost a lot more than $500.00, though.

Sadly, the bands you list - Rush, Dream Theater, etc. - use expensive amplifiers by Mesa, Marshall and Hughes & Kettner. You can still get a lot of those tones out of less expensive amplifiers. If you stick with solid-state amps, you'll save a lot of money. Take a look at the Marshall MG series. They just re-did the entire line, and the old ones sounded very good.

Bugera is the new kid on the block. They are a subsidiary of Behringer, though, so I can't vouch for the quality. I would wait on them and see how well they hold up before buying one. I tried one at a local Sam Ash store and it sounded very good. Only time will tell.

Buying an amplifier for practice is all well and good, but eventually you are going to want to perform, so you may as well buy a good gigging amp now. You can always turn a powerful amp down, but you can't turn a weak amp up.

Good luck with your search.
Quote by FatalGear41
If you are looking for a tube amplifier, you may have to part with a few more bucks to get something really good. Carvin amplifiers are very good and a good value, with great clean tones and plenty of gain for the distorted stuff. The best sounding clean tones I have heard out of an amplifier in recent years were from the Blackstar Artisan series. I was amazed at how good the 100 watt version sounded; both clean and distorted. It was also freakishly loud. Moving the volume knob (no master volume on these amps) past three was enough to cause sterility within fifty feet. They make a thirty watt version as well. They'll cost a lot more than $500.00, though.

Sadly, the bands you list - Rush, Dream Theater, etc. - use expensive amplifiers by Mesa, Marshall and Hughes & Kettner. You can still get a lot of those tones out of less expensive amplifiers. If you stick with solid-state amps, you'll save a lot of money. Take a look at the Marshall MG series. They just re-did the entire line, and the old ones sounded very good.

Bugera is the new kid on the block. They are a subsidiary of Behringer, though, so I can't vouch for the quality. I would wait on them and see how well they hold up before buying one. I tried one at a local Sam Ash store and it sounded very good. Only time will tell.

Buying an amplifier for practice is all well and good, but eventually you are going to want to perform, so you may as well buy a good gigging amp now. You can always turn a powerful amp down, but you can't turn a weak amp up.

Good luck with your search.

^ he said he deosn't need effects like the MG offers. also if you think the blackstar cleans are amazing, have a try of a matchless amp, you will cream yourself.

TS maybe try out a Fender hot rod deluxe, nice cleans for the price but the gain is going to have to come from pedals because i persoanally thought the gain channel was horrible. if you can get a twin reverb though that is the way to go for a great clean amp. it takes pedals amazingly.
Roger that on the Matchless amplifiers. I've only heard one (a guy was playing a vintage 1963 Strat through it) , but it was great. Expensive, but great. A friend of mine compared it to a Dr. Z amplifier, which are supposed to be the greatest things since Dumble and Trainwreck. Of course, I've never had a chance to play through one.
The Roland Jazz Chorus looks great.. but its too expensive and its too loud.. 120W tube? :|

Remember I want some bedroom use out of this thing too.. and I don't play particularly loud when I'm at home.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
roland JC's are solid state, not tube. where did you get that idea

Jazz Chorus clean is probably the best for running pedals in front of, since you can turn them up and they don't sound any different. Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit used them for his clean sounds rather than his $5000+ mesa rectifiers, probably simply because they have sucj massive headroom
Brother Clean amps running effects in front of em dont sound nearly as good as good gain amps running no effects and with your volume turned down to get nice and clean dynamics. My honest advice? sell off some effects and get a good amp with some heavy gain and decent cleans