hey, can any1 help me pick a guitar to play heavy sustained riffs like in black metal?

it should be set neck mahogany i guess. Budget is around 300e.

Europe
Set neck doesn't have any more sustain than a bolt on or neck through. It's more of the construction of the wood and how the guitar is made/weight which determines sustain.
well yes i agree. My strat has very sustain but all the BM\DM metal bands i like play with set neck guitars so i decided to have one myself and i also have a bolt on already.

I really like the epi korina explorer as i have the gear to upgrade it already but i can't find any store that has them in stock...
A bolt on will give you more sustain but less upper fret access. But that can be fixed by getting in Ibanez RG with AANJ.

Wood > Wood (bolt on) is better then Wood > Glue > Wood (set and neck through).
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
what kinda guitar should i get for that heavy low end then? don't forget my budget is around 300e

thanks
Quote by morkeg
what kinda guitar should i get for that heavy low end then? don't forget my budget is around 300e

thanks

Any guitar with humbuckers would work to be honest

What amp do you have?
Quote by darkcheef
Any guitar with humbuckers would work to be honest

What amp do you have?

Agreed, also, alot of your tone is your amp.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
i have a modded valveking and i can't get it with a s\s\s strat...
Quote by morkeg

Yeah, humbuckers will do it.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by morkeg

I don't know, get a SG or LP

Most stoner/doom bands I listen to use them so they are good for downtuned riffs.
Isn't the SG a bit too light weighted? i really don't get it how they chose SGs for doom metal haha
Quote by morkeg
well yes i agree. My strat has very sustain but all the BM\DM metal bands i like play with set neck guitars so i decided to have one myself and i also have a bolt on already.

I really like the epi korina explorer as i have the gear to upgrade it already but i can't find any store that has them in stock...

the new epiphones are awesome guitars. the korina explorer is a solid guitar. if its what you want id deff get it. im a big epi/gibson fan and epiphones and gibsons have yet to be beat by anything else ive played.

Quote by morkeg
Isn't the SG a bit too light weighted? i really don't get it how they chose SGs for doom metal haha

i have an epi sg. it is pretty light due to how thin the body is. a lot lighter than a lp. pick up a gibson V some day. youll be surprised by how light they are. almost want to say lighter than my sg haha. playng doom metal with a light guitar isnt going to hinder you from playing. electric wizards lead guitarest uses a sg and theyre sick. all comes down to personal preference.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 10, 2009,
Get a 2nd hand Japanese Ibanez. For example. RG421.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Check out Agile Les Paul copies like the AL 3000. Very heavy mohogany, humbuckers and cheap enough to throw in some Duncans like I did and now this thing is all I need. The look a lot like a Gibson but they start at 379 us for the 3000 and 199 us for the 2000.
Quote by morkeg

I don't see of how much a guitar weights depends on teh brewtalz it has, doom/stoner stuff is heavily influenced by Sabbath stuff (more of the Ozzy stuff). Which is why you see alot of bands use SGs and Orange amps (Like Electric Wizard)
Quote by morkeg

Have you tried modding any of your pickups to handle distortion better/have the sound you're looking for? I've seen plenty of SSS strats play metal. You can find some examples of it on youtube.

Quote by morkeg

SGs are lighter because of how the wood is cut and shaped. LPs are heavier because there is more wood present.
Quote by darkcheef
I don't see of how much a guitar weights depends on teh brewtalz it has, doom/stoner stuff is heavily influenced by Sabbath stuff (more of the Ozzy stuff). Which is why you see alot of bands use SGs and Orange amps (Like Electric Wizard)

pretty spot on. also a lot of doom players fancy http://www.electricamp.com/home.html">http://www.electricamp.com/home.html as well. also as some one said above a start can be used for metal. you can use pretty much any guitar for metal. there is no does or donts. karl from nile uses a strat when he plays in nile. one of the guitar players from kylesa uses one. nothing wrong with a strat really. i just dont really care for them.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?