it will be a while until i have enough money for a new guitar but im just researching a little ^_^;

with a fr bridge is it possible (say if i was in drop b tuning) to be able to tune the low e string from b to c sharp without having to do any adjustments to the bridge at all?
Well you could.. If you got lucky you wouldn't have to re-tune it all.. But chanes are you will have to re tune it because it will move the whole bridge.. personally i wouldn't use those huge strings on a FR bridge anyway. Just because of the amount of tension you will be putting on the neck.. If your changing tunings alot and going drop B & drop C & Drop A and low tunings like that.. go fixed bridge.. much easier
Quote by MetalGuitarest
Well you could.. If you are able to defy physics you wouldn't have to re-tune it all.. But chanes are you will have to re tune it because it will move the whole bridge.. personally i wouldn't use those huge strings on a FR bridge anyway. Just because of the amount of tension you will be putting on the neck.. If your changing tunings alot and going drop B & drop C & Drop A and low tunings like that.. go fixed bridge.. much easier

Fixed....

It's not a matter of luck. When you take it from a B to a C#, your increasing the tension of the string; and without also increasing the tension of the springs, the bridge will pull forward and go out of tune.

TS, an adjustment that small would take no time at all.

And I've used huge strings with FR's before, it should be fine, but you may need to add another spring.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Yes, it is entirely and very easily possible if you set up the fine tuner the correct way.

You would have to tune it to C# Standard (I´m assuming that´s the tuning you´re using - just with a dropped B?) and balance the bridge as normal - but first screw the low E fine tuner most of the way down. Then lock the nut and play as normal.

Then when you want to go to B just unscrew the fine tuner until you get to B, and screw it in for C# again. The fine tuners can cover a range of more than a step.
Last edited by Vlasco at Oct 11, 2009,