I play guitar in my band at my youth group, and I always have this problem where my sound is ALWAYS muddy, and I can never get a good sound out of it.

I know that the pedals are okay, because I use them on my Line 6 at home and it sounds beautiful, but once I go to my youth group and plug in, it sounds like junk.

I think I have a theory on how I am wrong, and I need your help deciding if this is the cause:

I plug my pedals into a little ground box (not sure what its called), which then runs into the mixer, where all the sounds are ran. I think the box is messing up my sound. I think it also has some mics plugged into it, but I'm not sure. It has some sort of wires running out of it that head into the mixer, I dont know where they go though.

Heres a rough sketch of what I'm getting at:

Any help or suggestions on how to get a better sound? I have an Epi Les Paul Standard (Hey, lifeguards don't make a lot of money) a Boss DS-1 (BAD Choice) and a Digitech Bad Monkey (Not that shabby considering I got it free.) I just use both of them together and I can get a pretty nice sound out of it that is pretty versatile. I also may be upgrading to a Fulltone fulldrive in a few weeks.

In before obvious solution and I feel stupid.
Last edited by titansmlb102 at Oct 10, 2009,
Do you use the bad monkey to boost your ds-1? If so thats probably why, I find it created noise and muddiness.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Do you use the bad monkey to boost your ds-1? If so thats probably why, I find it created noise and muddiness.

When I practice here at home through my amp though, and I plug it directly in, it sounds pretty good though, and I can get pretty much anything from a light crunch to more of a metal sound.

But thats one theory to add. So should I switch them around or something, or just use the Bad Monkey (tried using just the DS-1 one night, wasn't loud enough, sounded like junk)
Instead of upgrading to a Fulldrive, save that money, sell your current pedals, and buy something like a Boss GT-10 or Line 6 X3 Live. Run your guitar into the MFX unit, and go from there into that box. That should give you a better sound, as those have presets designed for plugging into a PA system.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Instead of upgrading to a Fulldrive, save that money, sell your current pedals, and buy something like a Boss GT-10 or Line 6 X3 Live. Run your guitar into the MFX unit, and go from there into that box. That should give you a better sound, as those have presets designed for plugging into a PA system.

Funny you should mention the Line 6 X3...the guitarist who plays on Sundays uses the exact same board...I'll ask him about it and see how he likes it
Don't trust the box; can you plug straight into the mixer?
If not, look at the mixer and see if they're messing with your channel's EQ.
You should be able to dial in a usable tone there, but maybe their PA is crap.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Don't trust the box; can you plug straight into the mixer?
If not, look at the mixer and see if they're messing with your channel's EQ.
You should be able to dial in a usable tone there, but maybe their PA is crap.

I'm going to try and see if I can plug straight into the mixer, but they DO NOT, I have to repeat myself DO NOT like people touching anything on the mixer or around it. I used to not even be able to mute/turn myself up while playing my acoustic on certain sets, because they thought I would mess up the entire balance of the board or something.

Come to think of it, my acoustic (Ovation) is always plugged in directly into the mixer, and it sounds beautiful. But my electric sounds like junk when its plugged into the box which is then plugged into the mixer....I just realized that. (My acoustic and electric run on different channels I don't switch them out.)

I'll test it this way come next Wednesday: I'll plug my acoustic in through the direct line into the mixer, strum a few chords, see how it sounds, and then I'll plug it into the box, keep it at the same EQ on the guitar, and see how it sounds then. If it sounds like junk, I found the problem.
Quote by titansmlb102
Come to think of it, my acoustic (Ovation) is always plugged in directly into the mixer, and it sounds beautiful. But my electric sounds like junk when its plugged into the box which is then plugged into the mixer....

Haha sounds like your youth group owns a neat little box that makes a guitar sound muddy.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The reason why it sounds bad is because you don't have an actual preamp to plug into.

Get an actual amp or preamp-in-pedal form (such as the POD X3 LIVE, etc) and then you won't have this problem. Your Ovation has a built-in preamp, which is why it doesn't sound bad.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??